Author Topic: complete corrosive ammo cleaner  (Read 1481 times)

Katylayne

complete corrosive ammo cleaner
« on: February 17, 2007, 06:50:26 PM »
Hi, I have surplus ammo and I'm going to shoot it.
            But I do know they have corrosive powder and murcrey
            in the primer.

Whant I'd like to know if there is a product that will not only dilute the
            corrosive residue left behind after shooting it. I want a product that will completly neutralize the residue left behind.

I've heard petroleium solvents will not neutralize it.
            windex and soap and water will clean the barrel.
            But it will leave a waterd down film that will still rust, frost and pit your barrel. When left for a long period of time.

I,d like to ask fellow gun community. Is there a cleaner available
            that will clean the corrosive film and not ruin my gun at the same time?

Thank you guys
            Dan  

mbott

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 07:03:08 PM »
Unless you come across some older US surplus bore cleaner, I believe this is the next best thing.  Try this: Empire Arms.

--
            Mike

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 11:31:49 PM »
Most people shooting corrosive ammo use Windex (or something similar at the range), and then clean the gun when they get home.  That minimizes the problems you describe.  (The Windex is generally only a TEMPORARY solution.)

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 04:03:07 AM »
Maybe some of the black powder cleaners would work. I know that shooting black powder leaves behind sulfur salts which also cause corrosion so immediate cleaning is required. Anyone know what black powder solvents have as a neutralizing agents?  I have some CLP Carbon Cutter I have used before as a bore cleaner in regular guns, but not for corrosive ammo. I do know it does remove copper pretty well as a blue liquid (reminds me of old HS chem experiments with electro plating copper, copper sulfate solution color.) forms and comes out on patches.

Offline ReganRanger

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:07:21 PM »
Corrosive priming contains potassium chlorate as a rule.  This stuff acts and resembles common table salt and attracts moisture.  Any solvent which contains water will disolve it and carry it out.  The old standby has always been hot soapy water.  Any cleaner which has water or is water soluable works well.  As far as fulminate of mercury goes it is not corrosive, but will cause brass embritalment, it doesn't cause corrosion or rust.  When shot with black powder the fulminate is imbedded in the fouling and since most black powder guns were cleaned with a water system it poses no problems to the gun But in a smokeless cartridge the brass is not fit to reload.  Some use Ballistol with water to clean the bore with good luck.  After cleaning wipe dry, apply light, thin coat of oil.  Of course it doen't hurt to check it everyday for several days afterward.  The old G.I. bore cleaners were nasty smelling or made with water soluable oil to remove corrosive salts.  Good Luck.

anything