Author Topic: Rainier LeadSafe Bullets  (Read 1860 times)

JimK66

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:40:57 AM »
Hi Everyone,  Have a question for all you reloaders out there.
            Have any of you used/loaded Rainier LeadSafe bullets in your reloads?  In 9mm, 380 ACP or 40 S&W ????
            Thanks,
            Jim

In response to the fellow with the messed up fininh on his new EAA Elite Limited:  If EAA wants you to return it then do it like....."yesterday".:lol   I haven't had to deal with them, but from what I understand the girls always are nice, but, this Paul character is a real pain in the ass to deal with.  
            I've had my EAA Elite Limited 9mm for over a year and swear it's the best pistol I've ever owned.  I probably have shot over 3000 rounds through it just to give you and idea of how much its been used and the finish is still like new and the gun has functioned perfectly for me all this time.
            I also take very good care of my guns and clean and maintain after every range session.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Rainier LeadSafe Bullets
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:38:32 AM »
I have used Rainier Bullets in 9mm and .45 ACP.  While my results were satisfactory, I much prefer Berry's Bullets.  The Rainier Bullets are a but on the soft side and require fast burning powders to obturate the base to seal the bore and get adequate velocity.

As for the rest of your Post considering the 9mm Elite Stock, please post your response in the appropriate subject thread, as cross-posting only mucks things up, and I have to move this to the Reloading Section, where the main thread topic will receive more attention.

p201.ezboard.com/fczechpi...2136.topic
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

JimK66

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:52:53 AM »
Sorry about that, but I knew there were a lot of guy's on this forum that reload don't use the Reload Forum here on CZClone.com and I hoped to tap into their knowledge base.
            Sorry for the make work,
            Jim

Offline cjochetz

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 03:05:09 PM »
I use Rainier bullets exclusively in 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP. Interestingly enough, I've had the exact opposite experience. The Berrys tend to be a bit softer in my experience, and supposedly, you can't push them as fast or the plating will come off. YMMV.

JimK66

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 04:08:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply,  Would you mind sharing your load data for those calibers?  I would really appreciate it because I'm so new to reloading any tried and true loads that have proven to be safe would help me considerably.
            Jim

Offline cjochetz

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 01:13:23 PM »
Jim-- Obviously, you must exercise caution when load data is given over the internet. That said, here is what I'm doing:

In the past I used 4.7grn of WST under a Rainier 115 grn RN. Fed SPP.

I've recently switched to TiteGroup and am really liking it. I load:

9mm: 4.3 grn Titegroup under a 115 grn Rainier RN bullet. Fed Small Pistol Primers.
            .40 S&W: 4.7 grn Titegroup under a 165 Rainier FP. Fed SPP.

I haven't loaded 45 ACP in so long, I can't remember my load.

JimK66

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »
I've got a question and please don't laugh, but my physics classes have long passed. |I   I've noticed several times that the powder loads are minimumly different for say...115 gr and say like your example of 165 gr 9mm and a 40 S&W and I've also seen it in the manuals using Unique or Win 231.  Is the difference that slight regardless of bullet beight?
            Jim

Offline Abe Normal

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 02:38:23 PM »
JimK66,

Don't see that you ever received an answer to your physics question.
            Below is what the powder charge weight differences will produce as regards pushing the pill down the tube, assuming the length of the barrel is just about the same for both firearms.

Differing bullet weights and metallurgical make-up as well as shape, the total capacity (volume) of the cartridge case, burn rate of the powder used, the type of primer, will produce an infinite number of variables that determine a powder charge weight and what may be optimal in any individual firearm. Its made even some of the best of us a little, well, odd/more eccentric (for those that are independently wealthy)!

In the example youve chosen the data should stack up as follows
            4.7 grains of Tight Group powder, with a 165 grain bullet, in .40 Short & Weak will produce a velocity of about 980 to 1000 F.P.S.
            Where as in 9mm Luger with a 115-grain bullet 4.7 grains of Tight Group will give you a velocity of around 1140 F.P.S.
            As for cjochetz's 4.3-grain load with a Rainier 115 grain RN bullet, it's likely moving out the tube in the range of 1050 to 1080 F.P.S.
            The 9mm Luger and .40 S&W cartridges are both in the same ballpark, dimensionally speaking. Meaning that the volume/case capacities are very close and so the amounts of their powder charges will be close as well. Only the velocities of the bullets will very widely as the .40 caliber round uses a heavier bullet.  

anything