Author Topic: New To Reloading  (Read 1852 times)

JimK66

New To Reloading
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:06:24 PM »
Hello,  I just started reloading my own ammo a couple of weeks ago and need some help with coming up with some load data.
            I bought 500 Rainier LeadSafe bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 115 grain plated RN.  500 Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 40 S&W (400 Diameter) 165 Grain Plated RN FP,  And 500 Rainier LeadSafe 380 ACP (355 Diameter) 95 Grain Plated RN.  I will also be using CCI Primers and Winchester 231 powder.
            Have any of you used these bullets and if so would you mind sharing your load data.  The Rainier website recommends using standard load data for FMJ and reduce it by 10% or use lead loading data which would be fine if I knew where to find it.  Have patience because I haven't any frame of reference to draw on.
            Thanks,
            Jim

Offline ReloaderFred

New To Reloading
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:26:52 PM »
The first thing you need to do is buy several reloading manuals and do some reading.  I would highly recommend the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Manual for starters.  You can also use the Speer Manual and use the data for the Gold Dots, which are a plated bullet.

I've used the Rainier Bullets, but I prefer Berry's plated bullets and have literally fired thousands of them.  Use lead bullet data from a reputable manual and you won't go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline AbyssDncr

New To Reloading
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 04:28:26 PM »
Fred,

I think you'll find the Lee Reloading Manual to be the most comprehensive single source of load data.  Here's what mine says on your three loads for Jacketed bullets with W231 powder:

115 gr 9mm:  Start 4.3 gr @ 1010 fps, Max 4.8 gr @ 1120 fps-Min OAL 1.095"

170 gr 40S&W:  Start 4.5 gr @ 867 fps, Max 5.3 gr @ 1000 fps-Min OAL 1.115"

95 gr 380 ACP:  Start 3.2 gr @ 860 fps, Max 3.2 gr @ 860 fps-Min OAL 0.975"

There was no specific data on the 165 gr 40, but the 170 gr data will be safe to use.

Now, get to loading!  :p
SP-01, P-01, CZ-75 Compact, CZ-75 Kadet, CZ-40B, CZ-83 Nickel, CZ-52, CZ-70, CZ-50, CZ 700 Sniper,  CZ 527 Kevlar, CZ 452 Ultra Lux, CZ 452 American 16", CZ 452 Scout, CZ V22 AR Upper, Sar K2

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
New To Reloading
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:09:30 AM »
Quote:
you'll find the Lee Reloading Manual to be the most comprehensive single source of load data

The Lee Reloading Manual is OK, but the Lyman Reloading Manuals are even more comprehensive and I've come to prefer their Load Data.  Actually, however, you can never have too many manuals!  I have most all of them!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline ReloaderFred

New To Reloading
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 09:16:02 AM »
I also own almost every load manual and will second jwc007's advice.  The Lyman Manual is among the best.  If loading exclusively for handguns, the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Manual, 3rd edition is a must have item, but it's best to have as many as you have room for.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Abe Normal

New To Reloading
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »
Couldnt agree more, purchase every manual you can get your hands on!
            Also have a look at this web site LOTS of good information!  
            However be prepared its going to take some good amount of time to wade through it all!
            stevespages.com

Be sure to click on  "Steven's Reloading Pages"  "Tables 1 through 8" near the bottom of the linked page above.

anything