Author Topic: Remington ammo...  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Katastrofto

Remington ammo...
« on: May 12, 2002, 01:36:02 PM »

Remington ammo is dirty, comes in crap cardboard boxes that litteraly fall apart after been opened once.. Bought a pack of thunderbolts today just for the hell of it and found 20% of the rounds went subsonic, the rest supersonic.. 1 misfire..

The yellow jackets, same crappy cardboard box, feeding problems, alot of shift in velocity.. looks like they been made using used cases.. misfires..

Have anyone but me noticed how crap remington ammo is?

KAT

gmtx

Remington ammo...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2002, 03:05:04 PM »
I threw away a half box of Remingtons.  They are pure crap.  3 duds in 20.  20 years ago they had good stuff.  Now.......crap.

troublemaker71

Remington ammo...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2002, 05:47:12 PM »
More than average number of duds and misfires using the Thunderbolts and High Velocity LR.  

I do like the pretty little flecks of "gold dust" that end up all over my hands (and in my lungs) after handling the LR's, though.  I just hope the stuff doesn't end up oxidizing once it travels through my bloodstream to a major organ.

They also have a distinct smell to distract you from their less than desirable performance, which is almost as cool as the gold dust.

Tristan

Unregistered(d)

Remington ammo...
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2002, 03:23:52 PM »
I can never find a rifle or pistol that will shoot any form of Remington rimfire ammo good enough for me to even plink with. I've had pretty good luck with Remington centerfire ammo and I haven't tried the new Remington/Eley target ammo, but I've tried every other kind of their rimfire ammo without success. I thought that measuring rim thickness and seperating the ammo into groups might help, but it don't; probably because it goes pop, bang, pow, pop, misfire, bang, pop as I shoot it.

Offline Katastrofto

Remington ammo...
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 05:12:47 AM »

I have had good luck with the Hyper jackets when it comes to accuracy.. those that had consistent velocity! (not many of them!)

It strikes me abit odd that such an old company with so many good guns/products out there can produce something this crappy.. Its like they`ve hired alot of drunken bums to manually load their ammo :D

Regards
Kat

Maybe someone should tip them with an email.. maybe it will be me :evil

Unregistered(d)

Remington ammo...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2002, 03:29:07 PM »
Which type of ammo is generally easiest on the barrel?  I've heard that the jacketed bullets are better and keeps lead from getting rubbed into the barrels?

Is that true?

Offline peashooter

Remington ammo...
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2002, 02:52:56 PM »
Dart, I think all rimfire ammo is pretty easy on barrels, but I would guess lead is a little easier on them. Having the lead rubbed on (can't really see how it would actually get "rubbed in") the barrel shouldn't hurt it any. It might make it a little harder to clean, but it shouldn't do any damage.

peashooter

North-of-61

Remington ammo...
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2002, 09:17:53 PM »
Rem HI Vel HP's work pretty well in my own CZ though their cyclone brand shoot pretty badly.

shooter1201

Remington ammo...
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2002, 01:10:27 PM »
IIRC, their rimfire ammo is made in Arkansas. You don't think.....? Nahhhh...............

Unregistered(d)

Remington ammo...
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2002, 07:50:32 AM »
Got my butt chewed out for giving my opinion at a company meeting. Our company makes the brass not the  priming,powder or bullets. I don't care for it eather.The good stuff is made in Mexico with Eley priming at the Agulia plant.

Offline Fred Flinstone

Remington ammo...
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2002, 11:44:57 AM »
This is always the philosophy of big mfgr, until their own a_ _ are on the line due to stocks starting to dwindle, quality has a price & public are most willing to pay for it. Thanks for bitting the bullet for us.

mspears

Remington ammo...
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2002, 09:35:16 AM »
This past Friday I took my new 452 American to the range along with fifteen different types of ammunition to see what did and did not work in this rifle.  I had everything from Federal Match ammunition to Aguila Super Max.  The Federal Match ammo produced the best groups and the hyper velocity rounds, particularly the Remington Yellow Jackets, grouped very poorly.  Suprisingly, the Remington Cyclone, which is a very inexpensive 36gr. high velocity hollow point, grouped very well.  At 50 yards I got 4 out of 5 shots in a nice 1/2" group with 1 flyer approximately 1/2" outside of the 4 shot group. After all of the negative reports I have seen on Remington rimfire ammunition I was pleasantly suprised at how well the Cyclone grouped.  This appears to be a very acceptable round for squirrels and other small game.

Offline mainmech48

Remington ammo...
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2002, 11:23:15 AM »
I'm wondering if the Remington ammo that I've been shooting recently is from the same planet as the stuff that I'm reading about here.

I buy a LOT of bulk-packed .22LR from "Wally World" - Federal and Remington, mostly. I've learned to steer clear of the "promotional" stuff like "Wildcat", "Thunderbolt", "Lightning", etc., which HAS proved to be pretty crappy IME. But for plinking and general practice the Remington bulk stuff that I've been getting works just fine and shoots as well or better than its Federal counterpart in most of my .22s.

I do own a cronograph (CED "Millenium"), but confess that I've never used it to check rimfires so far. As I handload for and compete with CF pistols and rifles, it was basically purchased to facilitate load development and verify that my competition loads qualify for "major" power factor. Nearly all of my rimfire shooting is just for grins and practice, so as long as it makes the can "dance" and functions reliably, it's served its purpose adequately.

For hunting small game like rabbits and squirrels, I buy premium HPs in whatever brand the rifle or pistol that I'm using shoots best. Truthfully, as often as not I'll choose my IMI "Timberwolf"  .357 carbine and lead bullet hand loads at just over 900 ft/s instead. Accuracy is superb out to 50 yrds with a 1.5/5 X scope (0.7" edge-to-edge for 5 rnds) and the report doesn't seem to "spook" other potential game for as long as the "crack" of an HV rimfire does.

As for the "Yellow Jacket"  hypervelocity stuff, my 10/22 won't feed it, but a Marlin M60 will chew it up all day. I've never had any feeding problems with it in any manually-operated action. FWIW, my Brno ZOM 451 likes them. While their accuracy in the other .22s that I've used them in was generally adequate (to some that might read "mediocre") the little straight-pull BA puts them into consistent 5-rnd groups of just under 3/8" at 50 yds from a solid bench rest using a Tasco 2/7X scope. As the best .22 Match ammo available to me locally (Federal "Gold Medal") will only better that by under 0.150" in the same rifle, I'm pretty amazed. I have no reasonable explanation; I'm just passing along my observations on yet another strange rimfire phenomenon.

Unregistered(d)

Remington ammo...
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2002, 09:12:00 PM »

I use the Remington Target 22 that come 100 in a yellow plastic box individually slotted like CCI Mini Mags are. I have used this bullet for almost 20 years in many guns including competion semi-auto .22 handguns.

They look like leadheads but have some type of clear coating on them that is easier on the barrel and action than copper. They are very accurate for the dollar and real easy on the gun. This stuff is no Wolf Match or Lapua but it works as good as CCI Green Tag for me and is a lot cheaper. Works is my semi-auto's just as well which is very surprising.   It does cost more than Thunderbolts etc. (I hate to even say that word)  

I used to like their Yellow Jackets for hunting but I have given up velocity for accuracy in hunting as well as target shooting. At least they had some QC on those.

Remington is not going to put out ammo to compete with their Eley bullets that they charge more for. This would be like Simmons compteting with Weaver when they already own them.

Guns are funny about ammo but you might give this one a try if your not safisfied with what you are shooting.

Offline weemsf

• Jesus is Lord!
    • First Baptist Church of Atoka
Remington ammo...
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2002, 09:57:13 PM »
I used to own a Remington 541T that would shoot .33" at 50 yards with the right ammo.  It hated anybody's high velocity and hypers were lucky to be in a 5" group at 50 yards.  It loved the Federal Gold Medal, but was most consistent with CCI Green Tag.  Sold it because of the cheap mags for the gun.  Got tired of having to hand fit everyone of those 10 cent plastic mags to a $400+ rifle.  Most target rifles will handle standard velocity ammo better than high.
Baptist Pastor, Lover of God and Country, Sheriff's Chaplain, NRA Patron Member