Author Topic: Whats the difference between Brno and CZ?  (Read 31528 times)

ScREWtop

Whats the difference between Brno and CZ?
« on: July 02, 2003, 06:10:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

I was recently looking for a 375H&H and someone suggested Brno 602 and CZ550.

Could someone tell me the difference please? Is Brno same as CZ? Is 550 newer than 602?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Fred Flinstone

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 05:33:07 PM »
CZ has always mfgr. the rifles with whichever brand name(Brno & CZ). The Brno ZKK-600 series is now discontinued and is now replaced by the CZ 550 series. The basic mechanism in both rifle are almost similar(certain parts can be cannibalised from one to the other).

Older Brno's at one point had a flip up emergency peep-sight, an already very good express rear sight has always been available.

The newer CZ-550 Magnum also has exactly the same type of express rear sight (but unluckely no peep-up rear sight)

Both brandname have mostly been mfgr. with steel component, basic quality thru & thru.

Have a look at CZ-UB(Czech Republic) e-site, there's a lot of info. within the site but you have to take the time to  check info. out.

Hope this reply helped you.:D

All the best,
Fred

ScREWtop

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 01:01:45 AM »
Thanks Fred,

I had a look at www.cz-usa.com/_p/pdt.php?id=28 and it says:

CZ 550 Safari Magnum
Known world wide as the 602 Brno, the CZ 550 Safari is a true full sized Magnum, not a smaller action blown out to barely hold the cartridge with only 2 rounds in the magazine, the Safari can hold 3 Rigbys in the magazine! Features include Express sights (1 standing, 2 folding), hammer forged barrel and single set trigger. The stock is made from select Turkish walnut and has a classic safari shape. The controlled round feed and fixed ejector make this rifle reliable enough for Heavy and Dangerous game.

When I asked the guy who's selling his 2nd hand 602 he said it was different.

Are they pretty much the same quality or is CZ550 better?

Offline Fred Flinstone

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 05:49:32 PM »
The quality of the wood(from my point of view) is better than the 8 last years at Brno. Earlier Brno's finish were well made but the newer CZ are pretty well made. Older ZKK's are sought by collectors(for no obvious reasons), older ZKK's with the pop-up peep-sight are sought by experienced professionnal hunters worlwide. If you have a chance getting your hand on one it's worth putting a few $100-200 more for this sight arrangement otherwise go for the CZ 550 Magnum with straight classic stock(which is'nt shown in the e-site.

Good luck,
Fred

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 07:52:45 PM »
The older BRNO rifles are sought after because they were made by BRNO not CZ. The ZKK series of rifles were originally made by BRNO until the communist regime transferred production solely to CZ.

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 09:11:25 AM »
The BRNO 600 series was replaced by the short lived Model 537 which in turn was replaced by the 550. Once the communists were out BRNO immediately took measures to stop CZ from using their ZKK-ZKM & other model designations since they were originally BRNO patents. That is why you will encounter ZKK series rifles with different stampings on them. Such as ZKK 600 -CZ600ZKK or just plain old CZ600. As for the ZKM611 .22 magnum it was a BRNO produced rifle from day one as was the ZOM451 straight pull rifle.

Offline Fred Flinstone

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 08:08:40 PM »
These & other unanswered questions would easily be answered by an official CZ-UB history book such as Win., Ruger, and others have done. This would also be good as a promo item. This book already exist(CZ-UB) & would only need to be translated from the Czech language to English, the U.S. market would easily pay for the cost of translating & publishing with a good margin for profit.

ScREWtop

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2003, 03:47:07 AM »
Wow.

So, is Brno better or CZ -- I mean in terms of quality straight from the box?

OK, is it better to buy a used Brno 602 at half the price of a brand new CZ?

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2003, 07:08:41 AM »
Same guns. Buy the one you like.

Offline Fred Flinstone

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2003, 12:44:37 PM »
The Doc is right, only difference is that CZ parts are still available, while certain Brno parts are like hunting for a 4 leaf clover.

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2003, 03:47:43 PM »
By all means buy the 550 just be good enough to let me know the phone # of the fella selling the 602 . I'd prefer it any day over the 550. I've been collecting BRNOs & the older model CZs for over a dozen years & believe me there is a difference. Good luck.

Offline Fred Flinstone

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2003, 07:40:04 PM »
hi czechmate2,

I'm not here for a pis_ing match, what so advantageous in having a ZKK, please enlighten us. If you're living in Canada I'll send you a few ZKK ads for sale.

-Stock design?
-Metallurgy?
-Special sights?
-Special finish?

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2003, 09:07:54 PM »
Well,to be honest since I live in the states I can't p_ss that far. :lol  But seriously ,I've always had respect for the BRNO rifles since the first time I saw & read about them. I've always tried to pick up as much knowledge about the Czech made firearms as I could and I will pass on that knowledge if I feel it will help out someone. But I must have stepped on the toes of a more knowledgable person than I. If I lived in your country I sure could expand my collection being as how there was a lot more BRNO guns imported there over the years & they are a lot cheaper than down here.;)  BRNO & CZ are different companys. They always have been.

ScREWtop

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 05:06:44 AM »
You guys gotta come to NZ because Brno 602's or older are selling for US$500 or less! Some are in brand new condition!

But this discussion has enlightened me heaps, its the same and yet its different. CZ's are going for about $1,000 brand new.

I gotta see the gun again to make sure the barrel is still in good condition, do you reckon they can hold MOA on paper?

Are there known problems like shells won't eject and so on?

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2003, 02:35:29 PM »
If the barrel is good, check for the extractor and firing pin. Mausers are trouble free. Hard to kill one. BRNO or otherwise.

anything