Author Topic: CZ wood quality  (Read 2376 times)

Unregistered(d)

CZ wood quality
« on: July 17, 2003, 11:28:22 AM »
I've been hooked by both the FS bug and the 6.5x55 bug.  Thought I found the cure with CZ, but the only FS I found in the St. Louis area was already sold.  Talking to dealers and looking at other CZ models I've noted a tremendous variation in the grade of the wood.  The best the dealers here will do for me is a special order. If I decide the wood looks like it should have been used for an orange crate, like some I've seen, they will charge a 10% restocking fee.  One wholesaler in the area even said -- 'cash upfront -- if we order it, its yours'.  CZ apparently will not handpick them either.  

Any other ideas out there?

By the way, how do I convert my local ezboard account  to a global?

mspears

CZ wood quality
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 06:25:24 PM »
I have a 452 American with an average to slightly above average stock, a 527 American with an very nice stock and a 550 American with really lousy wood.  You are absolutely right about the inconsistency of CZ stocks. I have never seen a CZ with a really exceptional  stock but I have seen a number of CZ rifles with above average stocks and some with really bad wood.  I called CZ USA and asked if they would hand pick a 550 stock for me and the one they sent me was pathetic, it was much worse than the one I already had so don't expect to call CZ USA and get a nice stock from them.  All of my CZ rifles shoot exceptionally well and it is really a shame CZ can't do a better job with the wood their wood stocks.

Unregistered(d)

CZ wood quality
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 07:54:15 PM »
You could try surfing the auction sights. Most of them have pictures displayed of the auction items. CZ &BRNO have always been rather inconsistent in both quality & looks in the stock department. I've picked some stunningly beautiful rifles over the years & have some BRNO rifles that have stocks with such roughly finished stocks that they look like 2X4 lumber off the lumber yard racks. Good luck. ;)

Offline Infectedfrog

CZ wood quality
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 07:13:35 AM »
I just bought a CZ 700 Sport and it has a really nice stock, light in color. Nice and smooth. A picture is posted in the post just above this one if you care to take a look..

Frog

jt2ga65

CZ wood quality
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 10:30:03 AM »
I picked up my new 452 Lux a couple days ago, and I thought it had an exceptionally good looking stock on it.  The beechwood stock on the other 452 they had at the store also looked quite nice.  I really did not pay attention to the american versions that they had, so I can't speakl to their quality.  Is it possible that CZ uses its best wood on the European models, and the American models get what's left?

-jt2

anything