Author Topic: CZ550 Firing Pin Mechanism Flaw??  (Read 8480 times)

Offline czBerthold

Offline Fred Flinstone

CZ550 Firing Pin Mechanism Flaw??
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 04:25:57 AM »
While trying to go to your link: the site starts loading but dies(nothing happens). Could you describe your firing pin question?

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 02:37:18 PM »
Cz Alice is working on this at the factory. Early guns have 2 nuts holding it all together in the bolt. New ones have a c clip that moves under heavy caliber recoil. The link he posted refers to one guys trouble and community support for the issue.

Alice P is on it nd I believe she will see it thru in Oct. when she goes to the factory.

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 02:43:49 PM »
Guess when they make you a mod you think you can come and go as youm please:rollin

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 02:46:51 PM »
Just in case you guys are smart as me. When you loctite the existing nut on in place of the queer little clip, remember, stand the pin on its nose to dry, not the base. Took two days to unloctite my shroud.:lol

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 07:23:27 PM »

posted 08-27-2003 21:15                        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed this post by OkieJohn over under "gunsmithing" and and given how the CZ550 is one of the sweet heart favorites for Dangerous Game for several on this sight I was somewhat surprised by the lack of response or interest....
any thoughts?

EKM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 On Tuesday, my CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 misfired when I was 15 meters from a band of feral cattle. I had two down, the dust was flying and my sights were on a third when I heard a click instead of a bang.

I snapped the bolt hard, kicking myself for short-stroking the action, and things started to happen in slow motion. I remember a live round spinning lazily in the air, and I remember thinking that something had gone wrong. I squeezed the trigger again. Another click-instead-of-a-bang. Very soon five live rounds with progressively lighter firing pin strikes lay on the ground and I was approaching my target heart rate for the day. Fortunately, the cattle ran off and I didn't get hurt.

The S&B factory ammo and handloads I tried later had no firing pin strike at all. Upon field stripping the bolt, I found what looks like a wire C-clip on the shaft of the firing pin just forward of the knurled ring that retains the firing pin spring. I think this clip keeps the ring in place but it broke and the ring came unscrewed, reducing firing pin spring tension so much that my rifle now fails to fire. But that's just a guess.

When this happened I was in thick forest and hogs were also on license, so things could have been a lot worse. I thought about retightening the ring and carrying on, but my confidence in this particular rifle was somewhat diminished, so I borrowed a Model 95 Winchester in 30-06 and got four more cattle despite the open sights.

I'm thinking of scrapping the CZ and going back to a pure 98 Mauser, but I had my CZ perfectly set up and I really liked it until this happened. To open this up a little, the airline can't seem to find my CZ right now, so I may be due for a completely new rifle. Any thoughts, O my brothers?

Thanks, Okie John.

--------------------
Good judgment comes from bad experience! Learn from others mistakes as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Posts: 42 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged  

GonHuntin
One Of Us
Member # 8261

posted 08-27-2003 21:50                      
I guess someone is going to have to take a photo of the "problem" part and show me.....I've had the bolt of my 416 apart twice looking for the wire c-clip and I sure don't see it on my rifle!

The Cool Guy
One Of Us
Member # 7120

posted 08-28-2003 04:09                          
Yes, I'm very interested in any problems with the design since I am trying to buy an action right now.

--------------------

Posts: 851 | From: Denver, CO, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged  

Dr. Duc
One Of Us
Member # 5271

posted 08-28-2003 04:45                        
It's the little circular wire under the firing pin nut. If it's right you have to screw the nut up on the firing pin to see it.

--------------------
Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing

Posts: 466 | From: Fla | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged  

nextjoe
One Of Us
Member # 11073

posted 08-28-2003 05:18                        
I was talking to Jack Belk about this yesterday. He agrees with me that the clip CZ uses is a piece of bleep. We decided the best option is probably to try to find a true E-clip of the proper size and ditch that little piece of wire. Loctite it in place, too.

Now, anyone have any ideas on where/how to find an appropriate E-clip?

Best,
Joe
Posts: 142 | From: Riverview, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged  

Gringo Cazador
One Of Us
Member # 12187

posted 08-28-2003 06:15                        
I talked to CZ america, I really didn't like the excuse the tech guy gave me.

I'm going to take my 416 to Dewight Marshal in Refugio Texas and get his take, Dewight is really good.

I want to see if he can do away with the clip and do something like a model 70 or M98.

I don't think wire clip or even an E clip is a good idea for a deer/elk gun much less a DGR.

--------------------
Billy,

High in the shoulder

Posts: 80 | From: Friendswood, Texas | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged  

okie john
One Of Us
Member # 8819

posted 08-28-2003 11:06                      
ELKampMaster, thanks for rescuing my post from obscurity on Gunsmithing. We're working the topic pretty hard on the Medium Bore forum, too--lots of 550 fans over there, just like here.

Loctite or solder make it far harder to strip the bolt for cleaning or inspection in the field. I can almost always see the Pacific Ocean from high ground during hunting season. My rifles are often exposed to salt air, so routine disassembly is a big point for me.

I'd like to see CZ offer a retrofit of the bolt internals that strips without tools and that has all parts coming off the back of the firing pin. They should do it the same way Ruger does with the Old Model single action revolver. In a perfect world the parts would be plated with electroless nickle (which CZ does exceptionally well) or made of stainless steel.

This is the only thing I don't like about my 550. It is too good of a rifle for this kind of shoddy engineering.

Okie John

Badboyz
One Of Us
Member # 10616

posted 08-28-2003 22:30                      
Is this problem unique to the CZ for standard calibers, or does the Safari Magnum use the same set up?

Oldsarge
One Of Us
Member # 3013

posted 08-29-2003 02:16                        
There! Badboyz has nailed down the question for this forum. Is the same deal used on the double square-bridge magnum? And wheretheHell is it? If it's part of the bolt shroud, then the answer is simple. Replace it and[i/] the POS sidewinder safety with a M70 type from Precision Metalsmithing and all will be good again. This is especially interesting given JudgeG's report of an American stocked .375 due out in November.

--------------------
Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

Posts: 819 | From: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged  

GonHuntin
One Of Us
Member # 8261

posted 08-29-2003 23:02                      
Since this topic started, I have twice disassembled the bolt on my CZ 550 in 416 mag to see exactly what the problem is......I just now dug out the owners manual and looked at the parts breakdown because I could not find the problem part on my rifle.....well, I still can't find it because it's not there......I guess my rifle is made differently because there is no clip of any description on my firing pin!

See parts breakdown below.

There are two notches cut into the "firing pin spring nut(#20)" and a "firing pin spring support(#19)" has matching "tits" that lock into the notches preventing the nut from unscrewing as long as there is tension on the firing pin spring. Maybe these parts could be retrofitted to the rifles with problems???

PC
One Of Us
Member # 8286

posted 08-30-2003 03:46                        
I have 5 cz's now;

1.458 win mag (at smiths being made into a lott)
2..375 H&H
3. .416 Rigby
4. 9.3x62 (1999 manufacture, 3 pos safety a real little beauty deep bluing a real suprise)

5. .22 Hornet.

I have yet to take these rifles bolts apart as I am not ver technically apt, but which of these rifles have the problem. Are the CZ 550 Magnums devoid of this issue ?? That is the question I would like to know. I ma afarid to pull my bolts apart in case I can not get them back together.
Posts: 2700 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged  

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 08-30-2003 07:47                    
PC,
I have 9 of the CZ 550's, 1 Medium, 8 Magnum. I have never had any problems with this item, nor paid any attention to the details. Come Monday, when I have some time off, I will disassemble the bolts of the Medium and a Magnum and see if there is any difference. Then I will compare them to the BRNO ZKK 602 for my own edification.

Scary stuff here!

--------------------
DagaRon

Posts: 2953 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged  

okie john
One Of Us
Member # 8819

posted 08-30-2003 07:55                      
Gon Huntin': That diagram looks more like a ZKK 602 than a 550. If your rifle looks like the picture, I don't think it's possible for you to have the same problem that I do.

PC: Why don't you get your smith to look at the one he has and render a verdict? As he explains it, you'll probably learn how to disassemble the bolt.

A couple of side notes:

American Hunting Rifles builds rifles exclusively on CZ 550 actions; I called to talk with them but they were out of the country until 7 September. When they get back, I'll allow them a few days to settle in, then give them a call.

I also called CZ USA and asked to talk to their attorney, but the receptionist made a command decision and sent my call to the head of CZ USA instead. We talked for a bit and I sent her an email describing our problem at length. Along with the email, I gave her URL's so she can follow our threads. I also told her how much we think of CZ rifles, and that we'll continue to stand behind them if they stand behind us on this. The experience was completely positive and I think she got the message. I think we're done fooling around and will see real action soon.

We can hope, anyway.

Okie John

120mm
One Of Us
Member # 12477

posted 08-30-2003 08:07                        
As I have a serious "love thing" going on for CZ firearms, I hope this is the case....
Posts: 248 | From: Iowa, or Iraq | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged  

PC
One Of Us
Member # 8286

posted 08-30-2003 17:12                        
Okie,

I will mention it to my smith and see what he says. Maybe it's a problem exclusive to the medium action ??

Dagaron, I am looking forwards to hearing your comments on this when you pull your bolts apart. What rifle do you have in the medium ??

Judy
One Of Us
Member # 9575

posted 08-30-2003 17:41                      
My CZ550 Magnum bolt guts are identical to those in the picture provided by GonHuntin. There are many differences between the standard and magnum actions gentlemen. Obviously, this is one of them. ~ Judy
Posts: 795 | From: Oakland County, MI | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged  

Oldsarge
One Of Us
Member # 3013

posted 08-30-2003 18:40                        
THAT'S what I wanted to hear, Judy, thanx!

--------------------
Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

Posts: 819 | From: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged  

PC
One Of Us
Member # 8286

posted 08-31-2003 03:55                        
Thanks Judy,

Looks as though my sweet little 9.3 is the only cz I need worry about  

The Cool Guy
One Of Us
Member # 7120

posted 08-31-2003 09:02                          
So Judy = Todd E???  

--------------------
Whoever reads this owes me five bucks!  
``````` ____ ___
|\ ````/```_\/_```\`````/|
| \___/```/ O o \```\___/ |
`\_ __ _ /\ ____ /\_ ___ _ /
`````/```\*__*/```\
````|`````````````|
````\``````\/``````/
`````|```/__ __\```|
``````\``\`````|``/
``````|``|`````|``|
```````W``````/``|
```````````````W

bill smith
One Of Us
Member # 1724

posted 08-31-2003 09:34                        
i looked at my 550 (6.5x55) and, sure nuff, there that little spring is. i'm not a designer of any type, but it looks like someone went out of their way to make that a bad design. a jamb nut would have been a better idea. the spring rides in the thread on the firing pin and is therefore getting pressure on the bias of the thread. it looks like that uneven pressure could pop the spring out of the thread or, like Okie John is saying, his just unthreaded itself. seems like an oddball design.
Posts: 257 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged  

lb404
One Of Us
Member # 5836

posted 08-31-2003 10:11                        
One of the numerous reasons to buy a Winchester model 70!

--------------------
lb404

Posts: 397 | From: moore, okla.,usa, Pharr, Tx | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged  

bill smith
One Of Us
Member # 1724

posted 08-31-2003 12:47                        
lb404: i agree....
Posts: 257 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged  

Tailgunner
One Of Us
Member # 7470

posted 08-31-2003 19:13                        
Just pullet the pin from my 550 Safari Mag SN# F20xx(416 Rigby) it has the wire clip.

PC
To find out (or strip the bolt) is quite simple. Cock the firing pin, press and hold the button thats on the left side of the shroud while you raise the bolt (this locks the striker back). Remove the bolt from the rifle (release on the left side of the bolt), and unscrew the shroud/pin assy. from the bolt body. Look at the thread just ahead of the knurled "spring nut" #20 in the above drawing.
Thats as far as you need to go, to see if you have one or not (or to put some locktite on if desired.
To re-assemble, screw the shroud/pin assy in as far as it will go, than back off just enough to re-aline with the top of the bolt. Reinstall in the rifle, the lock button will release when you close the bolt.

[ 08-31-2003, 19:22: Message edited by: Tailgunner ]
Posts: 284 | From: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged  

Judy
One Of Us
Member # 9575

posted 08-31-2003 20:06                      
Tailgunner, you are correct, my bad. I posted last nite from memory, but I just pulled the firing pin mechanism out of my rifle and sure enough there is a wire clip in front of the knurled spring nut.

What loc-tite product would ya'll recommend? Sorry for the confusion.  

mstarling
One Of Us
Member # 9326

posted 08-31-2003 20:26                          
Guys,

I have D884X which I am told was the first CZ 550 .416 Rigby imported into the US. Upon disaasembly, it looks just like the drawing it looks just like the drawing posted by GonHunting.

Appears that there was a change in the production somewhere along the line. You'll have to check each rifle to see how it is built.

Sure is worrisome. We ought to all lobby the CZ folks to fix this and to bring out a retrofit for those rifles needing it!

--------------------
Mike
--------------

making knives to fund a trip to Africa
www.mstarling.com

Posts: 541 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged  

Wachtel
One Of Us
Member # 6415

posted 08-31-2003 21:27                        
Pulled apart the bolt on my CZ550 Magnum (G0xxx, 375 H&H) and no clip!

I really like this rifle! It both shoots and handles well. Just got back from the range and it placed 3 Rem 270 gr's factory loads and 3 250 gr Sierra handloads in a nice tight group. Now I can always use the Rem's if the handloads run out  

Next up are the 300 gr Sierra and the 265 gr GS HV ...
Posts: 481 | From: Sweden | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged  

The Cool Guy
One Of Us
Member # 7120

posted 08-31-2003 22:58                          
Humm... Sounds like I'm going to have to wait until this is fixed, before getting an action.  

Any ideas or estimates about how long it's gonna take?

Thanks!

--------------------
``````` ____ ___
`````/```\*__*/```\
````|`````````````|
````\``````\/``````/
`````|```/__ __\```|
``````\``\`````|``/
``````|``|`````|``|
```````W``````/``|
```````````````W

nextjoe
One Of Us
Member # 11073

posted 09-01-2003 06:38                        
Both my .416 Rigby (magnum action) and 9.3 (standard action) have the cheesy little clip. I'm not happy with them and need to find a better answer.

Best,
Joe

Judy
One Of Us
Member # 9575

posted 09-01-2003 07:58                      
mstarling, the serial number on my CZ 550 Safari (416 Rigby)is 0009X. I naturally assume this makes it much earlier than yours. I does in fact have the little wire clip do-dad! judy

[ 09-01-2003, 07:58: Message edited by: Judy ]

CoonDawg
One Of Us
Member # 12505

posted 09-01-2003 08:17                        
nextjoe, you could always sell me your 416, for a lower price now that we know it has a problem  
Posts: 221 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged  

Dr. Duc
One Of Us
Member # 5271

posted 09-01-2003 08:42                        
Just checked my 9.3's- both have the clip. My 416 #H3xxx does not. It doesn't look like it would be difficult to replace the parts with a fix by CZ. Ruger bit the bullet early.

--------------------
Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing

Posts: 466 | From: Fla | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged  

D Hunter
One Of Us
Member # 233

posted 09-02-2003 05:36                        
I had similar problems and it was a weak trigger spring. Put a stronger spring in and I was immediately in business. Not a misfire since. Good thing too since I had some buffalo shooting that needed doing. CZ 2, Buff 0. Good hunting. D
Posts: 593 | From: Western NC | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged  

mstarling
One Of Us
Member # 9326

posted 09-02-2003 06:52                          
Judy,

I am just going by what the importer told me. the rifle is ealy enough that it doesn't have a set trigger ... just a very good normal trigger. I think it was a transition piece between the 602 and the current 550 Safari Mag. It is marked as a CZ 550.

Other serial numbers I have seen for these rifles seem to be <character> <4 digits>. Any chance yours is <Oh zero zero nine X>? Could make it a pretty new pup.

Regardless, mine does not have a clip.

--------------------
Mike
--------------

www.mstarling.com

Judy
One Of Us
Member # 9575

posted 09-04-2003 05:23                      
mstarling-it is possible it is an 'O' but it sure looks like a '0'. judy

Tony Dingess
Member # 13015

posted 09-06-2003 12:08                          
Why can't they quit fixing things that worked perfect? The part number 20 and 19 are identical to my 602 in .458 and the firing pin assembly has never failed in any form shape or fashion aand during the past 6 years that I have carried this thing while guiding in Alaska I have submerged it numerous times and submitted it to the worst of treatments possible. One of the reasons I love this thing is the simplicity of the firing pin assembly, and now you guys are telling me they have totally screwed this up in the new 550's! I certainly hope they get this resolved, because I was considering one in the future, but not now. No wonder I can't find any old 602's for sale anywhere.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Tony Dingess
Registered Guide
www.alaskahunts.net

Posts: 4 | From: WV/AK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged  

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-06-2003 12:20                    
Y'all,
I have checked the firing pins on 9 CZ rifles and can find no C-clip on any of the Magnums, but alas there is one on the Medium. The Magnums are all like the drawing from the Instruction Manual, Illustration and List of Parts, kindly posted by GonHuntin above, but the Medium is not, the C-clip is there, even though the manual with the Medium showed the better nut and support as pictured.

I have not seen an "O" series serial number yet. The latest I have are "H."

The AHR actions have no alpha prefix, but have 5 digit SN's. Maybe Judy has an AHR action or that is a "C" instead of an "O"? The AHR actions have no "CZ Billboard" on the left side of the receiver. They are more discretely marked below the stock line on the left side, no lettering visible when in the stock.

Here are the ones I have. (parts # 19 and 20) firing pin spring nut and firing pin spring support: GOOD
C-clip: BAD

550 Medium
G9XXX (9.3x62mm Mauser) Full Stock Lux: BAD!

550 Magnums: all GOOD!
D1XXX (.300 WinMag rebarreled to .338 Lapua)
H2XXX (.375 H&H)
50XXX (AHR action) (barreled to .375 RUM)
C2XXX (.375 H&H rechambered to 378 Wby)
H3XXX (.416 Rigby)
F2XXX (.458 WinMag rechambered to .458 Lott)
F5XXX (.458 WinMag rechambered to 45 Lapua)
F1XXX (.416 Rigby rebarreled to 45 Lapua)

I will go to the local dealer and check other 550's in hopes of finding the elusive C-clip.

Luckily I have encountered no plastic in any of mine, but I know the local dealer has a 550 Medium in 7mm RemMag that has a plastic floorplate and magazine follower (shudder). I dropped that one like a hot potato.

It is so easy to disassemble the CZ 550 bolt that no one should buy one off the shelf if there is a C-clip involved, now that we know what is going on here.

It also looks like it ought to be easy to simply replace the C-clip and BAD nut with the good combo. Just need the parts?

A good feature of the CZ 550. Field strippable in the twinkle of an eye.

I'm still very fond of my hogback/humpback/Euro/Bavarian/Jaeger-style Lux stocked rifles. And those 550's with straight-combed custom walnut, McMillan, and ArmTec stocks, well, I can live with those too.

Edit: Mea Culpa! I got one C-clip! I only glanced at, at 2 AM as the last of nine I checked. I just rechecked after some sleep. Please excuse. Must have been blinded by the elation of all the Magnums with the proper parts, wishful thinking. The 9.3x62 is relegated to varmints until fixed.

[ 09-07-2003, 00:11: Message edited by: DagaRonnie ]

--------------------
DagaRon

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-07-2003 00:38                    
And now that I am awake, after a trip to the local gun emporium, having checked every CZ with a bolt disassembly plunger, here are more C-clips:

BAD:
.243 Win. CZ 550 American E7XXX

7mm RemMag CZ 550 Medium Lux H4XXX: plastic floor plate and follower, the only one I have seen so far.

270 Win. CZ 550 American E7XXX

.308 Win. CZ 550 American G8XXX

.308 Win. CZ 550 Varmint H2XXX

22-250 CZ 550 Varmint H6XXX

.308 Win. CZ 550 Varmint H5XXX

GOOD:
.458 WinMag CZ 550 Magnum Safari H6XXX

.375 H&H CZ 550 Magnum Safari H5XXX

And a real find, used, also GOOD mechanism:
270 Win. CZ 550 Medium, with round top taking Remington contour scope bases, A0XXX.

This was an "A" "zero" "XXX" serial number. Left side of receiver had only small roll printed "CZ 550" then an even smaller "MRI MPLS MN."

Something special for a Minneapolis, Minnesota distributor for the first batch of CZ 550's?

So far it is looking to me like all the later model Mediums, American's, and Varmint configurations have the C-clip.

I haven't seen a Magnum with a C-clip yet, but others have. What gives? Parts is parts to some assemblers?

Yes, I have added the A0XXX to the CZ collection. It is sweet.

[ 09-07-2003, 00:44: Message edited by: DaggaRon ]

--------------------
DagaRon

David Thomas
One Of Us
Member # 13374

posted 09-07-2003 02:53                        
Model CZ 550 safari 375 H&H with C-clip
Serial # Fxxxx

Will loc-tite not fix the problem, at least temporarily?

David

Gone to check those on display at gun shop.
Posts: 49 | From: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged  

PC
One Of Us
Member # 8286

posted 09-07-2003 03:55                        
I will have to work out how to take my bolts apart and see if my rifles have the problem.

Hope I can put them back to gether.

Daga I am betting my 9.3x62 has the clip as it had a plastic follower and floorplate. Other than that the thing is awsome and points like a fine english shot gun. Getting parts swapped out with the plastic junk.

Love my lux stock to  

My 9.3x62 lux has a better barrel lug set up than the magnums I reckon, it's is just a standard block of metal on the barrel minus the screw and it is forwards of the main action lug by a small amount, seems to be mounted further back than on the magnums. Will mean more of the barrel will be free floating if I remove the pressure that is apparent on the right hand side near the end of the forend.

ready_on_the_right
One Of Us
Member # 7997

posted 09-07-2003 05:39                        
Somebody with a digital camera and the offensive clip please post a pic..

Mike

--------------------
Victory Through Superior Firepower!

Posts: 287 | From: GA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged  

All times are Dubai Time  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2    

Printer-friendly view of this topic   Hop To:  Select a Forum:   Category: Hunting -------------------- African Big Game Hunting Hunting Reports - Africa Big Game Hunting Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World Varmint Hunting The AccurateReloading Book Handgun Hunting Bowhunting Spear Hunting & Fishing Dogs Small Game Hunting Bird Shooting Taxidermy European Big Game Hunting  Category: Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading -------------------- Gunsmithing Reloading Wildcats And Their Development Big Bores Medium Bore Rifles Small Calibers Gun Ownership & Politics Military & Military Surplus Your Favorite Loads - Share Them With Us Single Shot Rifles Single Shot Pistols Cast Bullets Gun Collecting Walter's Own General Discussions Cartridge Collecting Optics  Category: Shooting -------------------- Benchrest & Target Shooting Pistol Shooting Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols Fun Shooting  Category: Other Topics -------------------- Humor Shotgunning Air Rifle Contest Moderators Only Miscellaneous Topics Black Powder Classified Recipes For Hunters Knives And Knife Making 4x4, ATV, SUV - Hunting, Fishing, Moon Buggys, Mars Rovers Books Of Interest  Category: Computers, Hi-Tech & Product Reviews -------------------- Technology Practical Photography For Hunters Product Reviews  Category: Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea -------------------- The Natural World Fishing Game Management  

Contact Us | accuratereloading.com

UBB.classicTM 6.3.

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 07:25:48 PM »

posted 09-07-2003 05:58                    
David,
I don't know what to think about the Loc-tite, on a firing pin. Where are the learned gunsmiths with an opinion on the fix? It seems that there is some random substitution of C-clips in the Magnums, and a pattern of regular use of C-clips in the shorter actions. Are there any tricks to simply removing the BAD 2 parts and putting the GOOD 2 parts in their place? Seems like it ought to be something we could do ourselves, eh, gunsmiths?

PC,
Take a gander at your manual. Very simple. Open the bolt and slide it back an inch then close it. Then press the little plunger on the left side of the bolt shroud, with your left thumb, and hold it in while you open the bolt and withdraw it back to the bolt stop. Then let go of the plunger on the way to the bolt stop and depress the bolt stop to free the bolt. Then a very light counter clockwise twist of the bolt shroud and the whole firing pin assembly comes screwing out of the bolt body. Slick and easy to to spray with gun scrubber and re-lubricate as appropriate, BreakFree CLP for me most of the time, except for arctic expeditions.

There has got to be a simple fix for the flimsy C-clip! It seems to be an assembler whim as to whether one's gun gets the C-clip or the good nut and support.

--------------------
DagaRon

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-07-2003 06:17                    
Mike,
You almost need a microscope to see the pitiful little C-clip hiding under the forward side of the solitary knurled firing pin spring nut. It's about the size of a pubic hair from Lolita. Pitiful.

You just want to see the two piece assembly of tits on part #19 (firing pin spring support) fitting into the recesses on part #20 (firing pin spring nut), as in the drawing that GonHuntin posted. That is supposedly the GOOD setup, and I believe it.

Thanks to Okie John for the headsup on this issue.

--------------------
DagaRon

nextjoe
One Of Us
Member # 11073

posted 09-07-2003 07:10                        
DaggaRon,

The round-top CZs made to take Remington scope mounts were from the days when Magnum Research (of Desert Eagle fame/infamy) briefly imported the CZ line. That's what the MRI stamping means.

Best,
Joe

ready_on_the_right
One Of Us
Member # 7997

posted 09-07-2003 07:16                        
Thanks Dagga

I am certain CZ will do right by this..They have a lot to lose and nothing to gain by not fixing it..

I look forward to owning several myself.

Mike

--------------------
Victory Through Superior Firepower!

Posts: 287 | From: GA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged  

The Cool Guy
One Of Us
Member # 7120

posted 09-07-2003 09:11                          
Humm...

You think I can order one from CZ, and specify for an action WITHOUT a C-clip?  

Probably around christmas...

Thanks!

--------------------
``````` ____ ___
`````/```\*__*/```\
````|`````````````|
````\``````\/``````/
`````|```/__ __\```|
``````\``\`````|``/
``````|``|`````|``|
```````W``````/``|
```````````````W

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-07-2003 20:06                    
nextjoe,
Thanks. The MRI, Magnum Research, Inc., of Minneapolis, Minnesota. This must be one of the "Minnesota" model CZ 550 rifles. I guess it has evolved into the "American."

Any idea on the year they started coming into Minnesota? A Blue Book search by the super heroine Reference Librarian action figure is in order.

The old Minnesota rifle has GOOD nuts.

A nut transplant on all C-clip rifles is in order.

--------------------
DagaRon

nextjoe
One Of Us
Member # 11073

posted 09-08-2003 05:21                        
Daga, according to my Blue Book, CZ importation went as follows:

Pre-1994: Actions Arms Ltd. of Philadelphia, PA
July 1, 1994-1996: Magnum Research of Minneapolis
1996-present: CZ-USA, first in California and now Kansas City
It also mentions Century International Arms as importing some models on a limited basis, and I recall Bauska of Montana importing some back before '94.

I agree that the C-clip is BAD news and exactly the kind of cost-cutting that caused me to switch from Winchester to CZ in the first place. I need two of the old nut-style retainers, to retrofit to my rifles.

Edited to add: The Minnesota is still pictured in the instruction manual that came with my American, but I don't believe it's still imported, and I have no idea if they even make it anymore.

Best,
Joe

[ 09-08-2003, 05:23: Message edited by: nextjoe ]

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-08-2003 08:56                    
Joe,
Thanks for the info. It appears that my 270 Win is a CZ 550 Standard, with a three-position side safety instead of the two-position pictured on the Minnesota. Or maybe the Minnesota was just that, without a "Minnesota" stamped on the sidewall? Anyway, no sights on the 23.6" (600 mm) barrel that is 0.600" at the muzzle which seems to be like the Minnesota, with straight combed slim stock.

I have been and still am a Winchester fan too, but sure love those CZ's. They are flat out like a lizard drinkin' accurate! The dinky C-clip can be fixed with new parts #19 and #20. Where for art they? We await. Luckily I only need one set.

This site is excellent for tips on the guns.

Cheers!

--------------------
DagaRon

PC
One Of Us
Member # 8286

posted 09-08-2003 16:32                        
Daga,

thanks for the tips on bolt dis-assembly. On the weekend I will have a muck around with my rifles and see what I have. I will report back.

Daga have you had your 9.3 cz bedded ?? Whats your opinion on the 9.3 cz set up with the dual crossbolts and barrel lug compared to the magnums ?? I think it's better.

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-08-2003 18:37                    
PC,
No worries, mate. Just be sure to keep your finger away from the trigger while cocking and closing the bolt, then with the little disassembly plunger depressed, open the bolt again and withdraw it.

Since my 9.3x62 put 3 shots into about 1/3 MOA for first three shots at 100 yards, I was impressed, unreal for a full stock. I haven't had the heart to mess with its bedding yet. It is a Full Stock Lux with a C-clip nut.

The standard barrel recoil lug and dual crossbolts from the factory (fore and aft of magazine box) of your piece is a definite improvement over the way the 550 Magnums are done.

The FS Lux doesn't have a barrel lug at all, but does have the crossbolts fore and aft of box, and no plastic anywhere.

I only have one CZ needing a nut transplant, and it happens to be the 9.3x62. No loose nuts please!
Edit for clarity.

Aloha

[ 09-09-2003, 05:16: Message edited by: DaggaRon ]

--------------------
DagaRon

mikethebear
One Of Us
Member # 6814

posted 09-08-2003 23:01                        
Mine is a full stock 7x64. I checked the firing pin and there seems to be a large knurled bolt holding the spring. I guess mine has the nut. Also the parts list shows that also. Mine has the three position safety.

mikethebear
One Of Us
Member # 6814

posted 09-08-2003 23:24                        
Boy do I feel stupid. Mine does have the C-Clip. It is so small you cannot see it with 65 year old eyes. Not a good deal. My manual showes the other parts, not the c clip. Has anyone gotten replacement parts.

Bill Mc
One Of Us
Member # 6742

posted 09-09-2003 04:59                          
CZ 550 Varmit Serial # F5xxx. All metal.

And it has the clip (note my crooked red arrow)

Posts: 98 | From: North Georgia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged  

David Thomas
One Of Us
Member # 13374

posted 09-09-2003 05:05                        
Thanks for the picture.

My manual shows the two nut system, also. But that's not what they put on my rifle.

David

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-09-2003 05:24                    
Bill,
Good camera and photography to show that C-clip.

That C-clip sure is some high class form of Loc-tite, NOT!

--------------------
DagaRon

Bill Mc
One Of Us
Member # 6742

posted 09-09-2003 05:24                          
I sent an email to CZ attaching that picture and pasting a link to this thread.

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-09-2003 05:37                    
Bill,
Thanks for your efforts in pioneering the CZ nut transplant. Christian Barnard ain't got nuttin' on you!

--------------------
DagaRon

The Cool Guy
One Of Us
Member # 7120

posted 09-09-2003 07:05                          

quote:
Originally posted by The Cool Guy:

You think I can order one from CZ, and specify for an action WITHOUT a C-clip?  

Thanks!

????

--------------------
``````` ____ ___
`````/```\*__*/```\
````|`````````````|
````\``````\/``````/
`````|```/__ __\```|
``````\``\`````|``/
``````|``|`````|``|
```````W``````/``|
```````````````W

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-09-2003 07:28                    
TCG,
They just load the trucks and shippem out, is how I see it. I don't think anyone has an answer to your question just yet. Seems like the problem has not been dealt with by CZ overseas or in Kansas as yet. Who knows? Until notice is given by the pipeline, you are best off just buying off the shelf, having inspected the firing pin at the store. This is gonna hurt CZ sales for sure, until they rectify the problem with some amends to past and future customers. They need to bust a nut getting on this one.

--------------------
DagaRon

The Cool Guy
One Of Us
Member # 7120

posted 09-09-2003 09:28                          
Okay, thanks.

Bust a nut... I cringe everytime I hear that term for some reason...  

--------------------
``````` ____ ___
`````/```\*__*/```\
````|`````````````|
````\``````\/``````/
`````|```/__ __\```|
``````\``\`````|``/
``````|``|`````|``|
```````W``````/``|
```````````````W

Bill Mc
One Of Us
Member # 6742

posted 09-09-2003 18:33                          
Here is the answer from CZ

Subject: RE: CZ firing pin spring retaining c clip

I dont think one incident of the clip coming off and the nut unscrewing
would constitute a need for concern. .It is a good idea to
check your firing pin nut, to insure it is screwed forward (clockwise as
you are shooting)all of the way against the clip. This will trap the clip
inside of the groove and prevent loss under recoil. This must always be
done after disassembly of the firing pin, as well.
If the clip is propperly seated you should not be able to un-screw the nut
any farther forward than the clip location (by hand). If this is not the
case and the clip pops out of the groove then the nut must be backed-off
and the clip re-positioned, then the nut jammed against the clip, as
before. Note: If the nut is not against the clip, it may allow the clip
come loose under recoil.
It is still not clear whether the one individual had ever taken the
assembly apart or not.

mstarling
One Of Us
Member # 9326

posted 09-09-2003 23:46                          
I am shocked at the response from CZ-USA. I therefore sent them the following:

Gentlemen,

A major discussion of a modification you have made to the firing pins of CZ 550 and 550 Safari Actions can be found at:

www.nookhill.com/ubb/ulti...6;t=003861

As of 2:15 pm 9/09/03 CDT, the last post in the string was:

Bill Mc
One Of Us
Member # 6742
posted 09-09-2003 18:33                          
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the answer from CZ
Subject: RE: CZ firing pin spring retaining c clip
I dont think one incident of the clip coming off and the nut unscrewing
would constitute a need for concern. .It is a good idea to
check your firing pin nut, to insure it is screwed forward (clockwise as
you are shooting)all of the way against the clip. This will trap the clip
inside of the groove and prevent loss under recoil. This must always be
done after disassembly of the firing pin, as well.
If the clip is propperly seated you should not be able to un-screw the nut
any farther forward than the clip location (by hand). If this is not the
case and the clip pops out of the groove then the nut must be backed-off
and the clip re-positioned, then the nut jammed against the clip, as
before. Note: If the nut is not against the clip, it may allow the clip
come loose under recoil.
It is still not clear whether the one individual had ever taken the
assembly apart or not.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 96 | From: North Georgia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

If this is the official CZ-USA company position on this issue, I can not believe you have heard what we are saying. I will take it upon myself to make it crystal clear:

1) The CZ 550 rifles were fast growing a reputation as a fine basic platform for the creation of dangerous game rifles even though they require quite extensive stock work to survive the heavy recoil of calibers like .416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag, and .458 Lott. With that work, many fine rifles have been created and gone into the field as trusted companions on dangerous hunts. Many lighter caliber rifles went into the field as they came from the factory and served their owners well.

2) The quality of the CZ 550 bolt rifles has put a real dent in sales of other factory standard rifles like Winchester and Ruger in these larger calibers.

3) The using community considers the change of the method of holding the firing pin spring from two nuts to that utilizing a single nut and a small clip to be unacceptable and to render the CZ 550 inappropriate for use in hunting animals that fight back with tooth, hoof, and horn. Your failure to remedy this design flaw will result in markedly reduces sales of these rifles, cast a pall on the resale value of many existing rifles, and confirm a belief that the company simply chooses not to listen to its customers ... very unfortunate but unavoidable outcomes.

Sincerely,

Michael Starling, Ph.D.
A satisfied owner of an early CZ 550 in .416 Rigby, who is now wondering if he will buy another CZ rifle.

--------------------
Mike
--------------

www.mstarling.com

Badboyz
One Of Us
Member # 10616

posted 09-10-2003 00:25                      
I think that an important fact for the CZ Reps to get from this thread is that although it may only be two pages long, there are literally thousands of current and future CZ owners that read and take heed, even if they don't post a response.

David Thomas
One Of Us
Member # 13374

posted 09-10-2003 01:53                        
I checked the firing pin of my Win M70 XTR (post 64) 300 win mag today.
It has a c-clip but it is much, much larger and is squared off (not complety round like the CZ clip) plus it sits in a much deeper groove.
Same type of idea, but winchester, even in the much criticised post 64 design, applied it better.

If anyone owns one of these and has a digital camera, a picture is worth a thousand words. I do not have a digital camera. Sorry.

I am very disappointed in CZ's response and the C-clip.
I own a CZ 375 H&H and was about to buy my wife a cz 550fs in 6.5 and buy me a CZ 550 lux in 7x57, BUT I will not buy one until this issue is resolved.
May have to start looking at ruger, Sako and Tikka again.

David

CoonDawg
One Of Us
Member # 12505

posted 09-10-2003 09:32                        
Maybe all of us should send CZ-USA a copy of this post  then maybe they will get the idea.

It took a 186 people at the Alamo to make a difference.

In fact I just clicked on the top of the page to send this to someone and sent it to INFO@CZ-USA.COM

[ 09-10-2003, 09:37: Message edited by: CoonDawg ]

mstarling
One Of Us
Member # 9326

posted 09-11-2003 20:44                          
Guys,

Here are the last two exchanges with the CZ-USA folks. Sadly, the smith is certainly taking the position that their design is fine, and that there is no significant field experience to indicate a real problem.

Everyone should make his/her own decision depending on their experience ... but this input makes it difficult to view a box stock CZ 550 rifle as an acceptable field piece. Will absolutely have to go to a smith first. The first smith creating a sound replacement part will be doing the community a real service.

I think any additional interaction with me would be counter productive. I hope others have more success in helping these folks understand.

To: <mstarling@earthlink.net>
Subject: Fw: Fw: From WWW: CZ 550 Firing Pin Spring Retention
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:31:30 -0500
X-Priority: 3
X-Rcpt-To: <mstarling@earthlink.net>

----- Original Message -----
To: "'Eric Morris'" <info@cz-usa.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 2:43 AM
Subject: RE: Fw: From WWW: CZ 550 Firing Pin Spring Retention

> It would serve anyone who carries a weapon into the field to insure that
> it is in good working order. Those who do not follow this rule can blame
no
> one but themselves. Good luck and good shooting.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Eric Morris [SMTP:info@cz-usa.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 7:54 PM
> To: Mike Eagleshield
> Subject: Fw: Fw: From WWW: CZ 550 Firing Pin Spring Retention
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "m. k. starling" <mstarling@earthlink.net>
> To: "Eric Morris" <info@cz-usa.com>
> Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 1:49 PM
> Subject: Re: Fw: From WWW: CZ 550 Firing Pin Spring Retention
>
>
> > Sir,
> >
> > This concern began with an actual occasion in which a failure to fire
> > under challenging circumstances in the field DID occur.
> >
> > I will simply tell you that perception of reason to be concerned is
> > very important. You can, indeed, choose to be "take the moral high
> > ground" based on your beliefs and analysis of the design. Might be
> > wise to remember that you do not make the purchasing decisions.
> >
> > (Seems foolish to endanger a very nice market niche that already has
> > very strong customer loyalty over a cost lowering modification in
> > design ... especially since that customer base genuinely wants you to
> > be successful and would likely not have a problem paying the $5
> > additional cost that might result.)
> >
> > Personally, I have already chosen to take a pass on another CZ 550
> > (in .375 H&H) as a result of this discussion. I will simply start
> > looking for a design that has a lesser chance of potential failure
> > and a company that seems to care.
> >
> >
> > Michael Starling, Ph.D.
> > (Lucky enough to have acquired an early CZ 550,
> > now looking for a different supplier)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > >----- Original Message -----
> > >From: "Mike Eagleshield" <gunsmith@cz-usa.com>
> > >To: "'Eric Morris'" <info@cz-usa.com>
> > >Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 11:02 AM
> > >Subject: RE: From WWW: CZ 550 Firing Pin Spring Retention
> > >
> > >
> > >> These are valid concerns, and a report has been made back to the
> factory
> > >> about the issue. Since I have nothing to do with design
> > >> or manufacturing of these products, this is all that I can do for
> now.
> As
> > >> gunsmith in-charge of warranty service I have only recived
> > >> one bolt back claiming the clip was loose. On further inspection, I
> was
> > >not
> > >> able to screw the nut past the clip by hand on this bolt either. I
am
> left
> > >> with a "why fix it if its not broken" frame of mind and until
someone
> can
> > >> convince me that these things are unscrewing themselves all over the
> > >world,
> > >> I will stand behind that frame of mind. I invite anyone with a
> legitimate
> > >> complaint to feel free to call me
> > >> toll free at 1-800-955-4486(mon-fri). If I had time to read all of
> the
> > >> major on-line discussions on our products, I would have little time
> left
> > >to
> > >> devote to customer support. I will leave the dicussions to those of
> you
> > >who
> > >> seem to have plenty of time to devote the the subject. And If the
> "using
> > >> community" has any real proof to back up their claims, let them
> present it
> > >> to me. If not, please let them limit their personal opinions and
> comments
> > >> to the discussion group.
> > >> -----Original Message-----
> > >> From: Eric Morris [SMTP:info@cz-usa.com]
> > >> Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 8:46 PM
> > >> To: Mike Eagleshield
> > >> Subject: Fw: From WWW: CZ 550 Firing Pin Spring Retention
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> ----- Original Message -----
> > >> From: "Michael K. Starling" <mstarling@earthlink.net>
> > >> To: <info@cz-usa.com>
> > >> Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 1:40 PM
> > >> Subject: From WWW: CZ 550 Firing Pin Spring Retention
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> >
> > >> > This message has been sent from your website
> > >> >
> > >> > Gentlemen,
> > >> >
> > >> > A major discussion of a modification you have
> > >> > made to the firing pins of CZ 550 and 550 Safari
> > >> > Actions can be found at:
> > >> >
> > >> > www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?u
> > >> > bb=get_topic;f=16;t=003861
> > >> >
> > >> > As of 2:15 pm 9/08/03 CDT, the last post in the
> > >> > string was:
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > Bill Mc
> > >> > One Of Us
> > >> > Member # 6742
> > >> > posted 09-09-2003 18:33
> > >> > -----------------------------------------------------
> > >> > -------------------
> > >> > Here is the answer from CZ
> > >> > Subject: RE: CZ firing pin spring retaining c clip
> > >> > I dont think one incident of the clip coming off
> > >> > and the nut unscrewing
> > >> > would constitute a need for concern. .It is a good
> > >> > idea to
> > >> > check your firing pin nut, to insure it is screwed
> > >> > forward (clockwise as
> > >> > you are shooting)all of the way against the clip.
> > >> > This will trap the clip
> > >> > inside of the groove and prevent loss under
> > >> > recoil. This must always be
> > >> > done after disassembly of the firing pin, as well.
> > > > > If the clip is propperly seated you should not be
> > >> > able to un-screw the nut
> > >> > any farther forward than the clip location (by
> > >> > hand). If this is not the
> > >> > case and the clip pops out of the groove then the
> > >> > nut must be backed-off
> > >> > and the clip re-positioned, then the nut jammed
> > >> > against the clip, as
> > >> > before. Note: If the nut is not against the clip, it
> > >> > may allow the clip
> > >> > come loose under recoil.
> > >> > It is still not clear whether the one individual
> > >> > had ever taken the
> > >> > assembly apart or not.
> > >> > -----------------------------------------------------
> > >> > -------------------
> > >> > Posts: 96 | From: North Georgia | Registered:
> > >> > Dec 2001 | IP: Logged
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > If this is the official CZ-USA company position on
> > >> > this issue, I can not believe you have heard what
> > >> > we are saying. I will take it upon myself to
> > >> > make it crystal clear:
> > >> >
> > >> > 1) The CZ 550 rifles were fast growing a
> > >> > reputation as a fine basic platform for the
> > >> > creation of dangerous game rifles even though
> > >> > they require quite extensive stock work to
> > >> > survive the heavy recoil of calibers like .416
> > >> > Rigby, 458 Win Mag, and .458 Lott. With that
> > >> > work, many fine rifles have been created and
> > >> > gone into the field as trusted companions on
> > >> > dangerous hunts. Many lighter caliber rifles
> > >> > went into the field as they came from the factory
> > >> > and served their owners well.
> > >> >
> > >> > 2) The quality of the CZ 550 bolt rifles has put a
> > >> > real dent in sales of other factory standard rifles
> > >> > like Winchester and Ruger in these larger
> > >> > calibers.
> > >> >
> > >> > 3) The using community considers the change of
> > >> > the method of holding the firing pin spring from
> > >> > two nuts to that utilizing a single nut and a small
> > >> > clip to be unacceptable and to render the CZ 550
> > >> > inappropriate for use in hunting animals that
> > >> > fight back with tooth, hoof, and horn. Your
> > >> > failure to remedy this design flaw will result in
> > >> > markedly reduced sales of these rifles, cast a
> > >> > pall on the resale value of many existing rifles,
> > >> > and confirm a belief that the company simply
> > >> > chooses not to listen to its customers ... very
> > >> > unfortunate but unavoidable outcomes.
> > >> >
> > >> > Sincerely,
> > >> >
> > >> > Michael Starling, Ph.D.
> > >> > A satisfied owner of an early CZ 550 in .416
> > >> > Rigby, who is now wondering if he will buy
> > >> > another CZ rifle.
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > Michael K. Starling
> > >> > <phone number edited out>
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>

[ 09-11-2003, 20:47: Message edited by: mstarling ]

--------------------
Mike
--------------

www.mstarling.com

Badboyz
One Of Us
Member # 10616

posted 09-11-2003 20:55                      
Sounds like CZ USA needs to take a refresher course in public relations. I definitely see this a "black mark" on their product and their services.

Recono
One Of Us
Member # 3998

posted 09-11-2003 21:36                        
Well, I checked old F17XX (.416) last night, and it has the clip. Now, having read the importer's reply, I'm going to go back and see exactly how that thing works. It almost sounds like they're saying the circlip/pubic hair/whatever has a definite proper location. Whether this is in relation to the nut or to the firing threads is not clear, but I have a suspicion it might be upon careful myopic examination.

I'll hold off on forming an opinion until the exam is complete.

Later.

Recono
Posts: 1478 | From: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged  

Bill Mc
One Of Us
Member # 6742

posted 09-11-2003 22:28                          
I believe the clip will work on mine. If I had a "kicker" I might opt for another locking nut.

When you fasten a nut against a clip or another nut, it will not loosen. That's method of removing studs from an engine block. Lock two nuts together and neither will turn.

If you take that firing pin assembly apart, you must put the clip on and then tighten the nut against the clip.

Still would prefer the double nuts. But the clip means a lighter firing pin assemebly which is faster lock time.

[ 09-11-2003, 22:30: Message edited by: Bill Mc ]

Mingbogo
One Of Us
Member # 6172

posted 09-12-2003 05:37                    
I don't think my 550 has the clip. Thanks.

--------------------
Cheers!
Ming

Posts: 846 | From: Midwest USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged  

okie john
One Of Us
Member # 8819

posted 09-12-2003 11:48                      
The head of CZ USA is Alice Poluchova. Her email address is alice@CZ-usa.com.

You know what to do.

Okie John

CoonDawg
One Of Us
Member # 12505

posted 09-12-2003 12:33                        
Shame on you John  

How many do we send? I have 5 different e-mail accounts.

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-12-2003 19:17                    
Okie John and CoonDawg,
Thanks for the suggestions, I will do so too. Too good a product to let be destroyed by a puny C-clip.
Aloha

--------------------
DagaRon

Recono
One Of Us
Member # 3998

posted 09-12-2003 21:32                        

quote:
Originally posted by DaggaRon:
Too good a product to let be destroyed by a puny C-clip.

Too bad CZ is missing this point. However, I disassembled mine and examined it with a magnifier. It appears that there IS a groove into which the spring/pubic hair fits, and it is clearly in its most rexed position there, yet not fully relaxed. In other words, spring tension does a little to keep it there, and the position is pretty much defined. When I tightened the nut against it (no ham hands, this ONE time), it seemed to stop definitely at the spring. Barring more than one incident, I might be inclined to trust this. I'd like to watch it a while.

Your earlier point about the handiness of being able to field-strip the bolt quite easily probably applies to inspecting this nut, as well. Still, I think that most would agree that a second nut would be a lot smarter. Whether it would actually work better, I do not know.
Posts: 1478 | From: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged  

DaggaRon
One Of Us
Member # 6694

posted 09-12-2003 21:58                    
Recono,
That is how I am thinking about it too. But that might mean we should check the C-clip before every shot. Hard to do in a rapid fire, followup, or charge situation.

So until the proper parts are available?

Anything wrong with this?:

Degrease the nut, C-clip and firing pin threads, get everything positioned snuggly and saturated with blue loctite, let it dry, then go about business with a little bit more confidence?

Sort of like being only a little bit pregnant, eh?

--------------------
DagaRon

FourTails
One Of Us
Member # 8254

posted 09-13-2003 05:41                        
After checking my 9.3X62 CZ American a week ago I found it to have the "weak little clip" mentioned. I called CZ and talked to Mike (CZ gunsmith) and asked for a fix before something bad happened at a real bad time. He said it should have a groove cut deeper into the firing pin and a heavier "C" clip installed. And he mentioned my rifle was still under warranty and to send the bolt to them. I sent it to CZ that afternoon. Two or three days later the bolt was back and the fix was not a deeper grooved firing pin with a larger "C" clip, but a really nice locking type nut (heavy duty) that I think is like the Bruno 602. My hat is off again to CZ for their timely return of my bolt and also for the fine modification on it. They are truely a great company to deal with and have a fine product for the price. And all it took was a call to them and about 3 days later all was well in hunting land again.   Mike

--------------------
MA Calvert

Posts: 152 | From: Wichita, KS USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged  

Bill Mc
One Of Us
Member # 6742

posted 09-13-2003 05:42                          
I think if the nut is secured against the c clip, then it will be OK. If the nut is not tight against the clip, the clip can fall off and the nut can further loosen.

CZ said that the clip must be in place and then the nut tightened against the clip. that locks the nut and the clip in place.

empty chamber
Member # 6696

posted 09-14-2003 06:01                        
If one found an e-clip that could replace the c-clip, would'nt that void any factory warranty? Also I would much rather have a locking nut reguardless of lock time wheather a couple of thousand miles away from home or at the deer lease.Having confidence in and not having to worry about your rifles functioning affords you more time to be sure of shot placement and a good hunt. I am also worried with the CZ smiths response, not very cutomer friendly.I beleive if the problem is not remidied CZ will find out the hard way in declining sales.
Posts: 8 | From: Haltom City, Tx/ USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged  

Printer-friendly view of this topic   Hop To:  Select a Forum:   Category: Hunting -------------------- African Big Game Hunting Hunting Reports - Africa Big Game  

UBB.classicTM 6.3.0

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 07:33:38 PM »
C clips come loose on large bore 550's. CZ is investigating in Oct. when Alice P of the US branch goes home. Users have the option of warranty repair, abit much in my opinion. Loctite, my choice till she gets some parts, or an alternative fix.

My gun had moved the clip under recoil. It had not failed yet. Smaller calibers do niot seem to move. MY 308, 223, and a friends 243, 30-06 all have clips and no movement.

:D

Offline Fred Flinstone

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 03:43:36 PM »
To tell you the truth in CZ-550 only (not the magnum: longer lenght action) the firing pin look pretty bleep exactly the same as one from a M-98(don't forget the CZ-550 is a modernised version of a Mauser-98) . The only major diff. is the threaded part for the knurled nuts. If one was to take a M-98 firing system you would be in business. The cocking piece on the CZ-550 firing pin  has been milled as to loose less time with lock-time, Zastava(former Yougoslavia) mfgr. a cocking piece which they sold pre-milled calling them: Speedlock. Do not attempt this with conventional military 2 knotch cocking piece since metal left just spells a disaster to happen, these absolutely need to be Commercial Mauser cocking piece(Zastava, Browning, Parker-Hale, F.N., etc.)

Sorry no quick fix for the CZ-550 Magnum(longer firing pin):rolleyes

Offline Bizzo

Re: CZ550 Firing Pin Mechanism Flaw??
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
Old thread but I am bringing it back because it is the only discussion I have found on the topic.

Have there been any advancements on solutions for this issue so far? There has to be a better way to secure the nut. I cannot believe that tension trouble with a little piece of c-shaped wire will render an otherwise excellent firearm practically useless..

How can I get part #19 (support, firing pin spring ) from the CZ manual schematic? I believe that C-clip "equipped" rifles are missing part #19 which would help secure the firing pin spring nut (part #20) in place in absence of a C-clip(which is not listed as a part at all)...

Offline Striper Sniper

• Have fun, Be Prepared, Stay Safe.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:36:05 AM »
Really? You resurected a 9 year old thread. Why don't you just call CZ to find out what they've done?

Offline Bizzo

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29:25 PM »
Maybe I am interested in what other owners/users have done. Now tell me, if you are just interested in blowing me off, why post at all?

anything