Author Topic: Safari Rifle  (Read 1481 times)

utseabee

Safari Rifle
« on: January 04, 2004, 08:32:23 PM »
I am looking to buy a .375 H&H. I have narrowed it down to the Winchester or the CZ. If I were to purchase the CZ, are there any modifications that would be necessary to make that rifle more reliable for dangerous game? I am not real familiar with CZ rifles so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Fred Flinstone

Safari Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 07:41:00 AM »
-A bit of polishing just to ensure proper feeding. Magazine floor plat(follower) & feed ramp.

-Regulating express rear sights to chosen ammo.

-Adjust trigger: to a heavier than sport usage, as to not have an accidental shot go off when under stress.

-Make sure the rifle has been reinforced around the rear web area of the stock with a minimum of a steel cross-bolt(the CZ should come this way NIB), but a better custom reinforcement can be installed by any gunsmith.

-------------------------------------------------------

If you like the Win 70's line, have a look at CZ's Standard model. These have beautiful classic lines & are true work-horses, making these P-H favorites. As in any dangerous game rifle make sure these fonction 100 % properly, as Murphy's law may get you at the worst moment.

-------------------------------------------------------

Familiarise yourself with legal calibers needed in country where Safari will be + check transport laws(some countries forbids the transport, other countries oblige hard cased luguage. Buying a too strong caliber will only leave you with another rifle hanger, if possible buy a ex.: .375 H&H, this will leave you with a more multi-purpose tool(good for big dangerous game in North America & MAY BE GOOD for African game. If for some reason you choose the Win. 70 then for Pete sakes get  one with a claw extractor. Some P.H. tape the hinged triggers plate with heavy duct-tape as to not get a bad surprise when getting one of the big 5 charging you.

utseabee

Safari Rifle
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 06:41:53 PM »
Thaks for the information. I will try the CZ, actually I'll probably get the Winchester too. I have two rifles chambered in 300 H&H, I ought to have two .375's to go with them. Thanks again for the info.

Offline Frank in Montana

Safari Rifle
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 06:06:41 PM »
The current controlled round feed Winchester M70 is a great .375 H&H . They feed and function very well from the factory. The Winchester trigger is easily adjusted. The stock design is first rate, it handles muzzle rise and recoil VERY well. The barrel weight and stock weight complement each other to make a very well balanced rifle.Accuracy on your average .375 H&H will probably not surprise, but AMAZE you. Most will shoot well under and inch at 100 yds.
   About all I'd suggest; Have the rifle checked out by a competant gunsmith. Check the bedding so that the recoil lug is bearing 100% against the bedding. Adjust trigger to 4#. Make sure the floorplate will not come open during recoil. I've had that happen despite a new spring installed. Duct tape works as a good fail safe. One can even drill and pin the floorplate so it will NEVER open.
Load some dummy rds at the same OCL you will use and the same bullet. Make sure the rifle will feed and extract from any angle, and with ANY number of rds in the magazine.

I can't add anything about the CZ here only the Win. I've had a few of the older and current M70's and they are a gem, especially once they are worked over by a competant Smith.

good hunting

FN in MT