Author Topic: Mec-Gar adjustable rear sight. (Set Screws Q?)  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Spazz

Mec-Gar adjustable rear sight. (Set Screws Q?)
« on: December 17, 2006, 11:37:55 PM »
I have one installed on my 75BSA, and have been using it for  probably 4+ years...no complaints.  Well, until now.

There are two set screws on either side of the elevation adjustment that are missing on mine! :eek     I noticed it tonight when I was looking at something else.  I KNOW it's a travesty, but my SA hasn't seen much use since mid-summer.

I got these sights from someone in the ancient days of the old board (maybe even Kev himself), and can't honestly recall ever putting IN the set screws...anyhow, for whatever reason they're gone, and I noticed that the sight had drifted itself a bit to the right.

Anyone know what the diameter and thread size of these suckers are?  I'll send Mec-Gar a note and see if I can get replacements, but in case I can't, I'd like to find some or make some.

Thanks,

The Other Kev

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:34:58 AM »
Contacting Mec-Gar probably won't help, as Mec-Gar didn't make them, only repackaged and sold them.  But try...

They were originally LPA sights, and have been sold under a number of different names.

Offline Virginia Jake

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 06:55:59 AM »
I bet that they are.  I have one of the LPA adjustable sights on one of my Witness pistols.  I'll take it apart and measure the screws for you tonight.

Yours,
Bob Troxell.

Offline Spazz

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:43:34 AM »
Thanks Walt,

That's right...they are LPA's in a MG box.

Thanks for measuring them Bob...That'll be a big help.

-Kev

Offline Virginia Jake

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 06:07:25 AM »
I took a close look at my LPA sight this morning.  The two things on ither side of the elevating sight blade appear to be springs, not set screws.  There is one set screw that is centrally located that passes all of the way through the sight and bears against the bottom of the dovetail that is cut in the slide.

I found that my "grubbing" set screw was very loose!  (It is a good thing that I am measuring this one for you, otherwise I would have lost this next time I went to the range!)

Here is what I found.  I used a 1.5mm allen wrench to take the set screw all of the way out of my sight.  The set screw measures approximately 5mm from end to end.  The set screw measures 0.1135" in diameter.  (Sorry but the battery is dead on my metric calipers!)  According to my metric screw checker, this set screw is a 3mm X .5 metric thread pitch set screw.

Yours,
Bob Troxell.

Offline wag 944

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 08:02:07 AM »
Spazz  Remove the sight If it's made in the U.S. it most likley a no.4.6.or 8.no.4 is about.112 dia. take it to Sears hardware or any good hardware and see what fits I have Sears hardware near to me and they have a good selection of small set screws               Happy Holidays to all

Warrenag

Offline Virginia Jake

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 12:12:51 PM »
It is a metric screw!  Besides he said that he is missing the "screws".  They are not screws, they are springs!  Only one screw goes down through the dovetail.

Yours,
Bob Troxell.

Highcap

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 08:43:44 PM »
I'm sure your right about the set-screw type and dimensions.  

The overtravel screw CZ-USA installed in the replacement SA trigger for my CZ85 Combat is also an M3x.5 and is 5 mm long and also uses a 1.5 mm allen key.   I'm looking for the same diameter and pitch setscrew but 8 mm long to replace it and all of the local hardware stores have metric setscrews that start at 4 mm!

Offline Spazz

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:54:32 PM »
Dunno about springs, but this is what the rear sight I have looks like:

If those ARE springs, I don't know what they would support, nor do I know why the holes would be threaded.

Anyhow...I e-mailed Jay at PSI (the importer for LPA), and he seemed to agree (at least by his e-mail response) that they are set screws...and generously agreed to send me a couple.  I guess I'll see when they get here.

Thanks for all of your help and I'll keep you all updated.

-Kevin

Offline stretch64

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 01:29:02 AM »
Spazz, That's the same sight I have on my Witness. They are set screws, and they are 3mm X .5mm pitch. I had to replace one of mine a while back. Ace hardware had them in stock.

Offline Virginia Jake

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 12:55:35 PM »
You have a different sight than I have!  The dovetail on my sight is very much further forward of where the elevation part is hinged.  It looks to me as if you have only one spring under the elevation part.  Your elevation part is hinged at the very front of the sight and the dovetail part is near the rear.

Yours,
Bob Troxell.

Offline Spazz

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 04:03:20 PM »
Quote:
You have a different sight than I have! The dovetail on my sight is very much further forward of where the elevation part is hinged. It looks to me as if you have only one spring under the elevation part. Your elevation part is hinged at the very front of the sight and the dovetail part is near the rear.

Oddly, according to the PSI websight, my sight as pictured ( The TR style) isn't available for CZ's anymore, but is available for S&W and other lesser guns :rollin

Anyhow...here are the three styles (according to the website) currently available for CZ's:

The TTF (Fiber Optic)

The TPU (low profile)

The SPR (higher profile)

The TRT (Competition style)

I'm no shill for LPA or PSI, but any company that has that sort of selection for us CZ hounds, and seems responsive gets my attention.  Plus, outside of my set-screw issue (which is probably my own bleep fault anyhow), I've been really happy with the sights.

-Kevin

Offline Virginia Jake

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 07:03:00 AM »
I have the second sight that is pictured in your latest post!  Those two, outside holes in the top of the sight are springs!

Validation at last!

Thank you!

Yours,
Bob Troxell.

anything