Author Topic: Smoothing rails  (Read 1781 times)

Offline briang2ad

Smoothing rails
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:51:05 AM »
If one wanted to smooth the slide rails, even on a non-GunKoted pistol, would KG2 or JB Bore Bright be good to use - how would you apply it?

(I did use some KG2 on my newly Gun Koted PreB, and it worked well.  What about on a CZ polycoated gun or blued gun?)

Walt-Sherrill

Smoothing rails
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 03:26:17 PM »
I'd start with light grades of sandpaper (600 grit working down to 1000 grit), wrapped around a credit card or something like that.    

Polishing compound would be okay, but probably overkill -- but allows BOTH surfaces to be improved by applying it and working the slide.

Offline Miossi Gun Works

Smoothing rails
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 05:55:49 PM »
I have to agree with Walt. When I smooth the rails I use a 1/4" sanding stick with 800 grit paper and honing oil.  Just enough to remove the irregularities but not any measurable metal as the slide to frame fit is loose enough.  Just shine them up at best.

Jim

Miossi Gun Works LLC
702 Park Dr
Monticello, IA 52310

Offline Boogalou

Smoothing rails
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 03:18:42 PM »
I use a combination of J&B bore compound and WD40 that Johnny Travis (1911 Tuner) recommended to me on The High Road Forum.  Just mix the two together until you get a thick paste, apply to the rails and work the slide and frame about 200 times or so.

Offline Miossi Gun Works

Smoothing rails
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 07:49:46 PM »
Boogalou
That mixture does work well when fitting a properly tightened frame and slide as it stays where needed and does a good job for lapping tight fitting parts.  However with a CZ that is just a stock loose gun it won't do a whole lot as it needs pressure between the moving parts to cut and lap.  On a CZ it will just gunk up the between the trigger bar and frame as it oozes out and with a loose frame to slide fit will take a lot longer to get the same results as wet/dry paper and a light oil.

JB Bore Shine is even finer, it is just jewelers rouge in a paste form and works great on fitting over sized 1911 frame and slides or properly peened and tightened ones.  Try that next time instead of JB Bore compound, as it is almost too coarse.

Jim

Miossi Gun Works LLC
702 Park Dr
Monticello, IA 52310

Offline Boogalou

Smoothing rails
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 05:56:03 PM »
Jim - Thanks for the tip on the Bore shine, I'll keep it in mind.

Regards,  Birt