Author Topic: Re-doing my 75B  (Read 2236 times)

Offline CZealot

Re-doing my 75B
« on: May 06, 2002, 05:52:43 PM »
Am currently in the process of some minor modifications to my 75B.  One of these includes installing a Wolff 16 lb. recoil spring.  My question is this:  I am currently using 6 of the Ramline mags for a TZ-75 in my CZ.  I understand that it is customary to install heavier magazine springs to facillitate reliable function during the feeding of ammo.  Since the springs in Ramline mags can't be replaced, am I heading for a disaster when I swap for the heavier spring, or can I still expect reliable function?  Somebody help me, please!

CZealot

Glockguy-23

Re-doing my 75B
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2002, 06:21:27 PM »
I can't imagine a 16 recoil spring causing your mags not to feed.  Maybe in very heavy springs, but not in a 16 pounder.  Try it and see...

Walt-Sherrill

Re-doing my 75B
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2002, 06:22:27 PM »
If its any consolation to you, I've got five or six of what I believe are Ramline mags -- made for Magnum Research.

(These are the ones with a coil spring under the follower that unrolls as you load them, right?)

They have proved to be my most reliable mags, and the mags of choice for me when I shoot in competition.  Almost nothing can go wrong with them.   And, they're so cheap, that when they do, you can just throw them away.

(It may be that Magnum Research had different specs, etc., so that their mags are better than the run-of-the-mill Ramlines...)

And you're right -- there is NO way to replace the springs.  Changing out the recoil spring should have NO EFFECT on the mag/gun relationship.

tocold6

Re-doing my 75B
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2002, 07:35:31 PM »
I just changed to a 20 lb Wolff spring in my 75B.  Won't get to fire it until Wednesday.   Never occurred to me that the mag springs might need to be beefed up!

I am thinking I may have to join Gold's Gym to stay in shape so I can chamber a round though.

I'll let everyone know if either the Pro Mags or the factory mags are a problem.

dleong

Re-doing my 75B
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2002, 03:52:51 AM »
tocold6 and CZealot,

I have been using a 20 lb. Wolff recoil spring in my 9mm 75B for a while now, and have not had a single FTF with the stock CZ 10 and 15 round magazines. Walt is right: changing the recoil spring should not affect the way the existing magazine feeds. If you're changing to a heavier recoil spring, just make sure your brass is ejecting consistently. If the brass just "dribbles" down the side of the frame, it may mean you've gone to too heavy of a recoil spring. Ideally, you want your spent brass to land between 4 and 6 feet from you.

Please let us know how it turns out for you.

DL

Offline CZealot

Re-doing my 75B
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2002, 03:57:22 PM »
All right gents, appreciate the feedback on the springs vs. Ramline mags.  Another mod I'm going to have done is to install the CZ85 Combat mag brake installed so my mags will drop free.  The new dilemna is this:  Ramline mags are very light compared to other mags.  Assuming I've shot a Ramline dry, is there enough weight for the mag to drop free?  This is after the new mag brake is installed, of course.  Weighting the mags down is out of the question as this gun is for IDPA.  Would appreciate any input on this issue.

Walt Sherrill Rocks!
CZealot