Author Topic: CZ Model 27 nazi pistol  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Wally Dog

CZ Model 27 nazi pistol
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:06:54 AM »
CZ Model 27 nazi officers pistol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When my father passed away in September I came into this handgun that he's had since the 50's. My brother and I believe it was given to him by a fella that immigrated from Germany to the states in the mid 40's. I've done a little research on it and found only information about "blued" models. This one is bright, nickle or chrome I reckon, has all the stamps and a 6 digit serial number and holster. I appears to be factory bright.......
I have zero interst in selling it, but am curious whether it could be a "special" piece that few were issued. Any info would be appreciated.

on top of slide it reads:
BOHMISCHE WAFFENFABRIK A.G. IN PRAG (THEN WaA76 with eagle insignia above) 44xxx

Offline ricky

Re: CZ Model 27 nazi pistol
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:01:32 PM »
hello i hAVE THAT VERY PISTOL AND LOVE IT . THE GUN IS VERY ACCURATE AND SHOOTS GREAT i HAD TO PUT A NEW TRIGGER SPRING IN IT BUT IT WAS VERY EASY TO DO GREAT GUN GOOD LUCK

Offline tsellati

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »
You have an early serial numbered vz.27 pistol which originally had a high polished blued finish.  Unfortunately, it was chromed by someone which was commonly done with these "war trophies".  It may be a great shooter, but, its current 'bling bling" appearance has killed its collector value.

For reference, here is my vz.27 rig with a phosphate blued finish commonly found on pistols manufactured in 1943 (as indicated by my pistol's serial number #226078) -

Tim

P.S. - I am intrigued by your holster and would love to see more pictures if you have them available.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:18:24 AM by tsellati »

Offline skucera

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:26:11 PM »
I'm not sure that is a post-war chrome job.  Many pistol makers nickel plated pistols before the war.  It may be a trick of the light or the camera's automatic white-point compensation, but it doesn't have the blue/silver color cast of chromium plating... it's more like the warm silvery look of real nickel.

Scott

Offline tsellati

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:01:29 PM »
I'm not sure that is a post-war chrome job.  Many pistol makers nickel plated pistols before the war.  It may be a trick of the light or the camera's automatic white-point compensation, but it doesn't have the blue/silver color cast of chromium plating... it's more like the warm silvery look of real nickel.

Scott

Scott,

I should not have used the term "chromed" as loosely as I did.  The pistol may very well have a nickel finish, however, through extensive research and discussions with long-time collectors in the Czech Republic, no documents exist suggesting that anything other than high polished bluing or phosphate bluing was used by the manufacturer to finish these pistols before or during WWII.  Absent documentation to the contrary I suspect this finish was applied post-war.

Tim

Offline SPEEDGUNNER

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:29:18 PM »
Holster looks like it may be for a Sauer 38H or a Mauser HSC.

Tim, that is a real nice rig you have pictured. Who is the soldier in the photo, the previous owner?

Many war trophies were "chromed", "nickeled" or just plain sporterized upon their return to the States. Today we would call it "Bubba'd", but back then it was about what made the GI who was happy to be home smile. Many 98k's turned into hunting rifles, and more than a few captured Nazi sidearms got "pimped" because they liked the way it looked. They weren't collectors items back then!!!

Offline donnis

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »
Very nice!  A lot of history in that old gun. 

Offline tsellati

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 05:55:15 AM »
Holster looks like it may be for a Sauer 38H or a Mauser HSC.

Tim, that is a real nice rig you have pictured. Who is the soldier in the photo, the previous owner?

Many war trophies were "chromed", "nickeled" or just plain sporterized upon their return to the States. Today we would call it "Bubba'd", but back then it was about what made the GI who was happy to be home smile. Many 98k's turned into hunting rifles, and more than a few captured Nazi sidearms got "pimped" because they liked the way it looked. They weren't collectors items back then!!!

Hi SPEEDGUNNER,

No, unfortunately, there is no connection between the pistol and the cadet in the photograph.  The cadet picture and other militaria are just "props" I like to use in photographs.

You are spot on in you description of what happened to many firearms brought back from WWII.  However, I personally would not say they are Bubba'd.  Although many of today's collectors may not place any value on the firearms I believe whatever was done by the returning soldier (refinishing a pistol or sporterizing a rifle for hunting) is now a legitimate part of the firearm's provenance.  If my Dad had brought back and modified such a firearm I would not part with it for any amount of money!

Tim

Offline skucera

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 02:08:43 PM »
I agree with Tim.  These were valued trophies, and the G.I.'s who brought them back wanted to do something special with them to make them their own.  It was their right as victors.

Scott

Offline pwaldon

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »
FYI update........
For what it's worth my "bright" 27 made it the Antiques Road Show in Billings this past weekend and the appraiser said 2 interesting things.
1. It was made in Germany
2. The nickel finish is the factory finish.......
any new thought experts?
thanks
Pwaldon previously known as Wally Dog

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:46:48 PM by pwaldon »

Offline excheck

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »
The appraiser was wrong with number 1.
Grips has CZ logo.
It was made in Ceska Zbrojovka  Prague, Czech republic.  44 could be year 1944.
Name was in use during German occupation 1939-1945.
German                       English                      Czech
-------                       ------                       ------  
Bohmische     -            Czech             -          Ceska  
Waffenfabrik -             weapon factory -         Zbrojovka
A.G. Aktien Gesellshaft  Corporatin with Shares  Akciova Spolecnost
In Prag                       in  Prague                   V Praze
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:44:17 PM by excheck »
*  To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Offline pwaldon

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Thank Ex,
I'm trying to garner as much info as I can.  I'm not sure what prompted him to think it was made in Germany......maybe occupied by?
Any thoughts on the finish?  Clip is bright, trigger is bright, Iv'e seen some images of aftermarket chrome jobs and the trigger proper is always blue.
thanks again,
pw

anything