Author Topic: Ok to use CZ 75BD in IPSC?  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Atlatl

Ok to use CZ 75BD in IPSC?
« on: December 27, 2002, 07:26:05 PM »
Do the rules allow the use of a CZ 75BD in IPSC?  With the decocker and no manual safety...

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Cricket67

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 08:13:50 PM »
As far as I understand, under Section 5.2.5 of the 14th edition rules for IPSC - Competetor Equipment: yes, you can as long as 'the primary saftey which in all instances must be completely functional in accordance with the original manufacture's design...

Then yes, but then again I have been wrong.  Interpretting some of these rules requires a law degree, lol.

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 02:56:32 PM »
Yes, you can use a CZ75BD in IPSC.
If you have not modify your pistol, you can participate in the IPSC Production division (first shot must be DA).
In www.ipsc.org in the rules section there is a list with the approved pistols for the Production division and declares that "CZ 75 (all SA/DA and DAO models)" are approved.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 05:42:22 PM »
You should shoot the "Production" division in IPSC with your 75BD as has been stated, as this division was created for DA/SA pistols.  Also, you must compete with 10 round magazines for this division, so leave any Pre Ban Hi Caps you might have, at home!  You will need 5 10 round magazines and 2,  double mag holders, and a good holster.

I have competed in IPSC with pistols that have a DA first shot and it is not difficult to get used to the DA/SA transition.  In fact, I believe that it is an essential skill in defensive handgunning!

Shoot well and Shoot Safe!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline richbug

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 07:14:20 PM »
I use my 75 bd last year for uspsa production class.  Biggest problem, was every asking "What is that pistol?"  Everyone arround here uses glocks and berettas, A couple people converted to the CZ after I let them shoot it for a match.

Offline joe long

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 05:38:49 PM »
I used my 75B at the Texas Stat Limited Championship back in september, with HiCaps.  You just have to load down and keep max number of rounds in the mag to 10.  You do not have to use the 10 rd mags.  The rules for production state that you can only load 10 rounds in the magazine.  The 75BD could also be used in limited or open, the only thing is that if you are using a 9mm you will have to shoot "minor," which automatically puts you at a SLIGHT disadvantage.  Just make sure you put two holes in the "A" zone :D .

Joe

Offline omen

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 09:17:47 PM »

Hi,

Which rule specifies only 10 rounds for production? In fact, there is a specific IPSC rule which explicitly states that the number of rounds a person may load cannot be specified...

Or is this 10-only  a USPSA modification to the IPSC rules?

Thanks

Damian

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 12:58:20 PM »
Pages 92 and 94 of the current April 2001 rule book specifically state that only 10 rounds per magazine may be loaded for Production and Limited 10 classes.  If you do not have a current Rule Book, one may be downloaded in Adobe PDF format from the USPSA website.  See link below.  

While I stated earlier that you should use only 10 round magazines, you could use Hi-Caps loaded with only 10 rounds if you had to.  The trouble with doing this, is that you are putting wear on magazines that are becoming harder to get and expensive.  10 round mags curently, are reasonably priced, and not expected to appreciate in value.  Also, when reloading between stages, do you really want to guess that you have the correct number of rounds in the mag?  Certainly, not I!  I don't even want to give an RO the shadow of doubt, that I may not be playing by the rules.  Hence, my 10 round mags just make life a little easier!

www.uspsa.com/

Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the last slice of Pizza!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

TY44934

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 09:06:08 PM »
WHat we have here, is a failure to communicate. IPSC is the international governing body for practical shooting competition. USPSA is the organization in the United States governing practical shooting competition. The rules & divisions for USPSA & IPSC are currently different. Specific to the CZ 75 in Production division, IPSC Production allows the use of "standard capacity" magazines of OEM configuration and requires that the 1st round be fired double action with a trigger pull of at least 5 lbs.

In USPSA Production division, you may only load 10 rounds in any magazine but you are allowed to start a stage w/ 11 rounds and your trigger weight may be as light as is safe (1st shot DA).

Offline Guest

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 04:59:38 PM »
I'd be more curious about using a CZ B in production division and having to manualy bring the hammer down every time you load and make ready. I actually cancelled my order for the CZ Combat just because the idea of losing the hammer while manualy lowering it was a bit disturbing to me. Besides, every RO at my range would probably hate me for doing that too.
I still want that gun though - just need to squeeze it into my gun purchase list somewhere.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 06:35:36 PM »
Re: manually decocking a LOADED "B" series or CZ 85 Combat handgun.

I decock a loaded non-decocker weapons hundreds of times a month.  I do it in IDPA matches.  The Safety Officers do not go nuts.  

If the gun is properly pointed down range while doing it, there is no danger to the shooter or bystanders.  

If it should happen that you *DO* have a Negligent Discharge -- very unlikely, given the mechanics of the process -- the worst that coud happen is that you'll be  DQ'd.  That would be hard on the ego, but that's about all.  

It is not hard to decock a loaded weapon.  It does not require unusual dexterity.   It is not nearly as hard as drawing the gun rapidly and hitting the center of the target in a relatively short time span.  It requires less physical skill.

Lowering the hammer manually is a lot like carrying cocked and locked: more difficult in theory than in practice.  This is, in effect, an emotional (as opposed to RATIONAL) issue!

You've just got to get past that "theoretical" hurdle.

Ron-Ankeny

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 09:14:07 PM »
I shoot a 75B in Production division and so far I have done really well. Walt pretty much nailed the decocking issue. Heck, an AD is much more likely on the draw, or during a reload.

I would encourage all CZ enthusiasts to get out and shoot. Give those Glocksters a run for their money.:lol

Offline Guest

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 10:37:53 AM »
At my range - that is NRA HQ - I am probably the only one who shoots a CZ (I've got the Champion 9mm model), except one other guy who's got a Tanfoglio and shoots Limited division. Everyone else who are not totally into 1911 guns shoot glocks, berettas and sigs, and not necessarily in production division - so the issue of manual decocking is pretty much non-existing. Well, it was, until I mentioned to our RO's about expecting the 85 Combat and asking them what they think about manual decocking. Their facial expressions reminded me of a lemon.

I practice a lot with my Kadet and do some manual decocking, so the procedure is not that alien to me. What worries me is if you have an AD while lowering the hammer, can you get injured by the slide cycle? Especially if you do it not with a Kadet but with a Combat while using ammo loaded a bit hotter for something like steel challenge?

BTW, I am thinking about adding an in-slide port to my Champion barrel - does anyone have any experience with that?

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2003, 05:31:58 PM »
If you slip and let the hammer fall while decocking, it should hit the half-cock/safety notch.   If you release it again, from the half-cock/safety notch, it isn't going to fall with  sufficient force to move the inertial firing pin (against the heavy spring) far enough to ignite a primer.

The gun has a firing pin block.  The gun won't fire unless the trigger is fully to the rear.  

It also won't fire unless the slide is in battery.  

If, on firing, it slams back, your thumb is going to be in position to flex back.   You shouldn't be damaging or even painful.  It might scare the crap out of you.

I don't think you've got a lot to worry about.

-------------
What do you mean by an "in-slide port"?

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2003, 06:38:28 PM »
Hello folks,

Since I enjoy reading here a lot and started posting, I guess it is time to pick a name and introduce myself. I will go by name Blade (previously "guest"). I am a beginner in competitive shooting - I shot a few IPSC matches and did OK, I guess. I own(ed) a few different guns, but sold/going to sell them all except my CZs of course - Love em!

Now back to the topic - I thought if you need to fully lower the hammer, you'd have to keep the trigger pressed until hammer is down, so the hammer will not stop at the half/cock position. If the hammer slips from your fingers, it will go all the way and strike the pin hard enough to ignite the primer.

Have you guys ever seen something of this sort actually happened? Is that why you said it might scare the crap out of me? ;)   Actually, I do appreciate your response very much.

By in-slide port I meant adding a vent additionally to the compensator, by opening up the top of the slide and actually drilling a port in the barrel. The idea is to further reduce the muzzle flip and hopefully just eliminate it completely with properly balanced load. I know it has been done, but not always successfully.