Author Topic: Real men wind their own bobbins!  (Read 2191 times)

Offline ut83

Real men wind their own bobbins!
« on: July 09, 2003, 08:02:36 AM »
Well folks.....Ive got more news.  

As most of you already know, 6 weeks ago..I spent my life savings on leather equipment and a new website is coming online.  

I decided to become a fulltime leather craftsman.  

My site is better than ever, I bought a very nice stitcher ($$$$$ cough, choke) and I started to market my Gun Leather locally, with CZUSA and a couple of the better forums.  
I even got a stellar review by Mr. Stephen Camp...that was very very cool.  Thanks again Mr. Camp aka "Hey You" :D

I had NO PLANS to do anything but gun leather for basically the rest of my life.  The Industrial sales market hasnt been what I'd hoped it would be and finding a "decent" paying job was almost a joke....ok, it was worse than that!

I however got a call a couple of mornings ago from a company that Id interviewed with for well over a year...a while back.

This is the only place that could temp me away from fulltime cowhide wrustling...........and they made me an offer I couldnt refuse....Thus.....my fulltime venture is on hold for a while...hopefully for a LONG while.  

The benefits of doing leather are great and many.  I was going to train under a "leather guru" for a week or two in early August to 'fine tune" some of the finer points of holster making.  Man.....I was rolling in the right direction very quickly.....and with great promise to say the least.

But....my lack of income to start, insurance, a CAR! and other reasons...mainly the $$$$$$$$ they offered me made me consider this and accept this position.  

I start being a salesman again next week.....which I love BTW.

Ill still be doing hoslters on a very part time basis.....so dont give up hope if you want one......it will just take longer than the 1 week Ive been putting them out in as of late.

I honestly am very confused by this decision....but felt I had to take the offer given to me.  A BIG part of me knows I will be letting some of you down...as the CZ world needs good stuff to keep their guns warm and happy in.  But its a great relief at the same time.  

I know I made a good choice.....
I didnt push these guys for well over a year because it would suck to work there!  You know?

I want to thank each and every one of you for the support and great/kind words you have to say about my gun leather.

I WILL NOT STOP MAKING LEATHER.....and now, I can enjoy making them more so than ever.......hobbies are better than jobs........just be patient with me.

Again thanks for every one of you....Im not gone...just not here as much as I was......................

Shoot well :smokin

Offline skucera

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 08:31:56 PM »
Don't beat yourself up over this.  Starting businesses is hard, and frought with lots of uncertainties.  Both times I tried I ended up taking job offers that paid better than I hoped to earn in my own business, and frankly the end of the worrying that came with a steady paycheck was well worth it to me.

However, ;)  I am still waiting for you to finalize a CZ 97 IWB holster with FBI cant.  When you announce one of those, I'll be getting in touch.

Scott

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 03:29:31 PM »
Congrats on the new gig!  Good jobs are hard to come by these days!  There is nothing wrong with having a steady paycheck!

As for the Holster business, down the road you may wish to become a business owner!  By that, I mean having employees who will provide the same level of craftsmanship that you would put into each and every holster you make!  That way, you will have time to concetrate on holster design and some marketing!  This will also free you up for your Sales Gig and Family!  You should after all, own the business, not the business own you!  Whatever you decide to do, you have my support!

Best of Luck to you!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline ut83

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 05:29:47 AM »
Thanks for the good words and Ill keep plugging along on the holster thing.....this way I can take my time and treat it as a hobby..which is better anyway.
Ill knock out a 97 IWB with an FBI cant this weekend for you Email me with the color and ride ht....Im not going to have my mold much longer if all works out to my liking.....
Let me know.........Shoot well :smokin

Offline skucera

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 10:47:51 PM »
I sent you an e-mail, except I forgot to mention the ride height.  I don't know... I'm a short guy, so I don't want it too high, or too low.  I'll leave it to your professional discretion. :)  

So, are you trading away the 97 you just got from Walt?

Let's keep in touch.

Scott

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 07:16:29 AM »
Good luck on the next endeavor, but I am still gonna put your name/website out there, I owe you that much at least!
   Dave