Author Topic: can't decide: 75compact v. PCR  (Read 1274 times)

akscz75b

can't decide: 75compact v. PCR
« on: August 18, 2002, 10:55:07 PM »
Sirs:
I want to buy a compact CZ before the new year, in Cal. they will have new rules which will probably be a real pain in the butt.
I saw the PCR with the "tactical rails" frame today, it felt great in my hand. It has a decocker. I can't shoot one, they don't rent it at this store.
Meanwhile my friend has a steel 75 compact, and that gun I think is just fantastic, and I've shot it. However, it actually seems heavier than my 75b, although it's not.
Has anyone shot them both, or does anyone own them both?
I almost bought the PCR today at the range, but resisted. My pal bought an 83 however. Then we shot my CZ75 and his Desert Eagle (Ka-boom). The eagle is actually quite accurate also, just too huge to be a real pistol. Shot some Sellier Bellot ammo in it which made showers of sparks and flash all over the place, quite the spectacle!
Thanks

CZ75ID

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 12:46:21 AM »
HI, UT83 had had both..he can probably tell you which is
better.

I'd say to grab the Hybrid PCR while you can. Not many of them.Price?

You can always find a Compact.

Offline ut83

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 04:18:35 AM »
akscz75b,
Let me ask you a couple of questions.  Is it gonna be a carry gun ever?  Or mainly a home defense/target gun?  Do you use safeties on any guns that have them?  The reason is the biggest functional difference between the 2 is the safety/decocker.  The Compact itself is a great gun.  Take all of the great features of the 75B and just shrink it, plain and simple.  The gun is VERY heavy for its size.  It felt much more so with a loaded Hi Cap and in a holster all day long.  It became a safe gun for me.  The PCR is a KILLER gun.  I cant say "out of all of the 100's Ive shot" but out of my guns the PCR easily has better sights, much better trigger and Ive discussed this with Kev and Spiros..seems to recoil substantially less.  Less weight = more recoil...=???
The only difference would be the PCR's oem rubber grips.
I did a couple of things very similar in both guns.  Wolff 20# recoil spring and +10% mag springs, polished the feedramp,
did sight improvements, Hi Caps...Once sorted out they are both shooters and great guns.  
If you want a good all arounder you really cant wrong with either....the compacts steel frame may hold up to 15-20K rnds better than the alloy of the PCR..although, I really cant attest to that.
But for a better Defensive gun/CCW plus a slighty better shooter...better sights, trigger and easier recoil..the PCR's the way to go.
Its honestly my favorite CZ.....uh..er, so far :rolleyes  
The Hybrid you found is a keeper...jump on it.  There wont be to many of them around and may prove worth a little bit someday.
What caliber DE do you shoot?...from the sparks I assume a 50...absolutely a great gun also...I have an ankle holster for mine...its hard on me with the 10" barrel and scope.  :D  
Kidding aside I shoot my dads 50 on a regular basis...mostly factory ammo but sometimes he pulls out what I call an "Evil reload" :evil    and may slip one or two, in a mag :eek    He quit doing it after a friend of his almost dropped the DE from fright and shock :(    They are that much more intense than the factory loads.....you have to be there to really understand....:D  
The 83 is another of my favorites...for a gun that feels like a "part of me", when I shoot it, there hasnt been a replacement for that one yet.....Shoot well and hope this helped.

akscz75b

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 09:41:29 AM »
Sirs:
Thanks for replies.
I don't really think I'll be carrying the pistol all day long, I'm not in LE and concealed carry is impossible to obtain in this county. I thought that perhaps the future I may need to have a "smaller" gun for some contingency, including possibly carry. I guess I have them for target/home defense, although I can't say I ever thought of actually needing it. I guess this is a case of my "want" being greater than my "need." I think the 2 compacts are the best looking pistols made. I also have been planning on showing a few women how to shoot, and thought a smaller gun will be good for that.
I've used the safety at the range, when I want to stop for some reason. I think the safety is a good feature, but a decocker may have its merits, I guess I would need to remember which one I was holding.  
The price the store had on the PCR was $475, but their prices are typical for california, i.e. expensive.
It sounds as if buying the PCR can't hurt, if I wanted to sell it, it could be sold fairly easily and then look for a regular 75compact. If it shoots as well or better than the 75 compact, then I'll lean towards it.
The young guy working at the store stated that CZ was discontinuing the compact 75 in favor of the pcrs, I doubt him. He also yelled at me when I opened my gun case to show him my 75, "you in law enforcement?" "you have a loaded magazine next to the gun! You can't have them loaded while transporting firearms, etc". I said I wasn't aware that a loaded magazine in a locked case next to an empty gun made it "loaded".
The desert eagle was the 357. Something was going on with the S&B ammo, it was making showers of sparks dance on the floor, lots of flash.
I'll go shoot and visit the PCR in the case in a couple of days, and try to make up my mind.
regards

Offline ut83

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2002, 07:20:36 PM »
The next time your young gun store dude says they are discontinueing the Compact for the PCR....Just say in a casual but very suredly way "Actually, its the PCR thats being dropped for the new P01, you oughta see them..completely redesigned..very nice) :D   Hell just look at you :eek  and then yell at you again for whatever he can find wrong.
I honestly believe he has a point..Cali has some strange laws..transporting a gun in a locked case is legal...having a loaded mag may not be..even in the case.  Who knows?
Shoot well

Offline Demitrius

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 07:16:47 AM »
What info do we have on the P01?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 08:18:51 AM »
PO1s basically a redsigned PCR with an accessory rail on the front dust cover. Go to CZ-USA website, and look around for the pic - it's in there somewhere. I intend to get one before I die, simply because I won't be able to find a pCR before money returns to me....
   Dave