Author Topic: .22 Witness Conversion Kit Question  (Read 1511 times)

Offline mm6mm6

.22 Witness Conversion Kit Question
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »

My full size, steel Witness came in .38 Super and I bought a .40 S&W conversion kit for it.  It shoots fantastic in both calibers.  I think I want to get a .22 conversion kit too.  Anything I should know?  Do they always come  with adjustable sights?  Is there any ammo that is really accurate or really inaccurate?  Any problems?  Thanks in advance!  -Steve

Offline alster

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 04:06:11 PM »
I had a 9mm witness with a .22 conversion kit.  It was quite accurate and hardly ever jammed.  The only problme was light firing pin strikes.  The only ammo that would function reliably was Federal .22 LR / HP bulk packs of 550 rounds that you can buy at Walmart for about 10.00 a box.

Another issue is that the slide does not lock back after the last shot while the Kadet Kit or Kadet pistol does lock back after the last shot.

A good possible cure for the light strikes would be to replace with a higher poundage hammer spring.

Currenly I have a Witness .45 that came factory equipped with a .22 conversion kit.  I have yet to shoot it but a friend of mine has one and told me that it functions fine.

Hope this helps
Al

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:31:24 AM »
I have Witnesses in the following calibers:

.22 Long Rifle
9x19
9x21
9x23
9x25 Dillon (work in progress)
357 Sig
.38 Super
.40 S&W
10mm
.41 AE
.45 acp

I've never seen the need to go smaller in caliber, such as .380 auto, but the 7.62x25 might be fun. The problem would be finding a barrel that could be rechambered, since there aren't any Witnesses in .30 caliber to start with. Perhaps a custom barrel maker, such as Bar-Sto could do it, for the proper exchange of cash.........

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 03:59:48 PM »
The only other conversion kits I've seen for the small frame EAA guns were .41 AE (and you can 't find ammo or brass for that, any more) and .40 S&W.   The .40 S&W slide just swaps with the 9mm.  You can generally use the same mags, too.  (I've had several, and the last one I had, I sold to a forum member.)

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »
Walt,

I still have ammo and brass for the .41 AE, but I'm slowly selling it off. I'm down to about 1,000 rounds of factory loaded ammunition, and about the same in virgin primed brass.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Steve Ev

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 03:44:20 PM »
Reloaderfred

I would be interested in the rogress of your 9x25 Dillon. I plan on that one myself. My 45 Large frame has a 400 Corbon top end on it, I like it a lot better than my small frame 40 S&W that wears a 357 Sig top end now, and I didn't think that was possible.

Steve E............

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:25:36 PM »
Steve Ev,

My 9 x 25 Dillon project has been an on again, off again project for a couple of years. I had two .38 Super barrels rechambered (I own the chamber reamer), but the gunsmiths that did them screwed them both up. One came out with too large a diameter, since he used the reamer by hand, and the other smith did it on a lathe, but went too deep with the reamer and that didn't leave enough case neck for the round to work. I've got an extra Nowlin 9 x 23 barrel, and when I get my lathe set up, I'll do the rechambering myself. It won't be anytime soon, but I still hope to get it done.

I have the .400 Cor-Bon on a 1911 and like it, too.

Fred

anything