Author Topic: cleaning a SP-01  (Read 7191 times)

Offline landlockedd

cleaning a SP-01
« on: January 07, 2008, 03:35:20 PM »
Hi everyone I was reading another post and I thought I would ask.  What can you clean your polycoat with without harming the finish and while I am asking what kind of custom work would you guys suggest.  I am not as competitor but I do like to shoot and I wanted an accurate gun that is why I bought the SP-01  Are ther anynsuggestions on making it a more friendly gun to shoot

Offline CZ Prime

cleaning a SP-01
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »
I use a patch soaked with CLP and then wipe it off with a clean rag. That finish is tough and just needs a basic wipe down on the outside of the gun. I use CLP for everything except the bore, the bore gets MPro 7 and sometimes Blue Wonder gun cleaner depending on how much it needs cleaning.

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
cleaning a SP-01
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »
I use good old break cleaner from the auto parts store. It so far has never hurt anything I have used it on. You need to re lube well after because it removes all the oil.

We have a  solvent tank at the shop, always check the solvent on a small part first to make sure it does not eat the finish
Angus Duhhhh!

Offline aflevine

Re: cleaning a SP-01
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:20:37 AM »
New to cleaning CZ's.  I'm most familiar with Hickok45's approach to cleaning and lubricating Glocks.  He takes the perspective that too much lubrication means more accumulated crud.  However, from the YouTubes I've watched, it looks like CZ's need much more lubrication and naturally get more dirty.  I've been searching unsuccessfully for a detailed set of instructions that describe best practices for cleaning and lubrication.  People seem to do this many different ways.  If you have a recommendation on where to look, I'd appreciate the referral.

Also, how often do you recommend complete disassembly and cleaning?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:55:46 PM by aflevine »

Offline RenegadeDave

• Pontificating on the Process
    • My Youtube Page!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:41:44 AM »
New to cleaning CZ's.  I'm most familiar with Hickok45's approach to cleaning and lubricating Glocks.  He takes the perspective that too much lubrication means more accumulated crud.  However, from the YouTubes I've watched, it looks like CZ's need must more lubrication and naturally get more dirty.  I've been searching for a detailed set of instructions that describe best practices for cleaning and lubrication.  How often do you recommend complete disassembly and cleaning?
I shoot about 1K+ a month and I relube weekly, I only do a field strip and clean maybe once a month, every 6 weeks.  Detail strip/ clean about every 5K rounds.  And I pull the extractor and clean out behind it.  It's amazing how much crud gets behind it. 

Sent from an iDevice.  Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors.  If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.
Check out my Youtube channel! I geek out on CZ's and post match videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoliathGT

Offline slikshoes

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 07:29:15 AM »
Even after all these years, I have realized that the U.S. Army has brainwashed me into the obsessive compulsive act of always cleaning my pistols after use (even after only 50 rounds); otherwise, I would love to be lazy and spend my time elsewhere.

Regarding polycoat cleaning, I really like the idea of using brake cleaner.  I have been using one of those "silicon gun & reel" polishing clothes, and it works well ... but it seems to be just a flannel cloth soaked in lubricant.  For what it's worth, I usually end up having to wipe it down afterwards b/c the cloth is so saturated.

Offline milq

• Steel on target
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »
Even after all these years, I have realized that the U.S. Army has brainwashed me into the obsessive compulsive act of always cleaning my pistols after use (even after only 50 rounds); otherwise, I would love to be lazy and spend my time elsewhere.

I've been out of the USMC for 16 years and still do it.
NRA Basic Pistol Instuctor, IL FCCA Instructor.

http://jc-steelontarget.blogspot.com/ and check out www.illinoiscarry.com to learn more about CCW in IL.

Offline AMM

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 06:13:09 PM »
I use  CLP and Remoil  with good results.

Cheers
Kadet II
CZ 75 Shadow SAO
CZ 75 SP01 Shadow 1
455FS 22LR
457 Varmint MTR 22LR
457 Training 22LR
527FS 5.56x45

Offline aflevine

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 10:49:40 PM »
Thanks for the responses and advice.

Offline cobrajunkie

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 08:12:11 AM »
I just started using an ultrasonic cleaner for slide, barrel, recoil spring, and slide stop.  Throw them in the tub and start reloading while parts get clean. Remove and dry with compressed air and quickly get some CLP applied.  I also recently tried brake cleaner on the lower and worked great but as others have stated, need to pay close attention to lube as either method removes all.  I'm using CGW's slide lube and Ballistol for the rest.

Offline MI-CZ

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 08:54:57 AM »
Not to re-start the great debate, but I have used Frog Lube on mine with thousands of rounds in abusive conditions with great results.

Offline aflevine

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 03:44:01 PM »
Not to re-start the great debate, but I have used Frog Lube on mine with thousands of rounds in abusive conditions with great results.

Any issue with Frog Lube gumming up or breaking down when hot?

Offline cobrajunkie

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
I'd like to know peoples experience with Frog Lube as well.  Is this YouTube video a good how to?  How long does it last?  Seems as though you could just use compressed air or soft brush after treatment to keep it clean between outings.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
I tried Frog Lube and didn't care for it.  I switched back to Mobil 1 cut with some DuPont penetrating oil with Teflon.  I mix them in small eye drop bottles and keep them everywhere. 

I use that mix on everything!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 11:01:06 PM »
I use good old break cleaner from the auto parts store. It so far has never hurt anything I have used it on. You need to re lube well after because it removes all the oil.

I do the same for a real cleaning and otherwise use Hoppe's  solvent for routine wipe-downs after shooting.  Both will mess up a F.O. rod and grip tape but otherwise hurts nothing. 

CZs do like to run a little wet in a few places like the trigger bar.

anything