Author Topic: cleaning a SP-01  (Read 3106 times)

Offline rxer311

Re: cleaning a SP-01
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »
I just use Seal - 1 CLP and a bore snake.  I know I will get flamed for that...but I clean after every range session.  If I see a decrease in accuracy I will just soak the barrel in some copper solvent that is on sale and clean it after a good soaking.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »
I use good old break cleaner from the auto parts store. It so far has never hurt anything I have used it on. You need to re lube well after because it removes all the oil.

I do the same for a real cleaning and otherwise use Hoppe's  solvent for routine wipe-downs after shooting.  Both will mess up a F.O. rod and grip tape but otherwise hurts nothing. 

CZs do like to run a little wet in a few places like the trigger bar.
For internal cleaning like the fire control group, if I don't feel like breaking the gun all the way down, I use the cheap Wal-Mart brand penetrating oil.  It's too thin for my taste for lubrication but I use the heck out of the stuff for cleaning.  It really cuts the crap well.  I just hose it out, blow it out with some compressed air and re-lube with my lube of choice. 
It's not a harsh as brake parts cleaner but probably doesn't work quite as well.  It does however, work well.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 10:59:54 PM »
Check the price of auto parts stores house brand non-chlorinated brake cleaner.  O'Reilly's sale price is less than $2  for the large can.  Leaves no residue.
The plastic tube nozzles make usable slave pins too.  :)

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 11:45:44 PM »
Another vote for brake cleaner.
   Note of caution----
  Make sure you wear safety glasses. The cleaner sprays out with pretty good force.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline MI-CZ

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 08:38:44 PM »
Not to re-start the great debate, but I have used Frog Lube on mine with thousands of rounds in abusive conditions with great results.

Any issue with Frog Lube gumming up or breaking down when hot?
Sorry for the late reply - no such problems. Used it daily at Gunsite in absolutely blistering heat with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline nonamethanks

cleaning a SP-01
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
Sorry to necrobump, but I'm new to owning a pistol and have been enjoying my SP-01.  I'm cleaning it after each use with M-Pro gun cleaner and a little M-Pro Gun Oil LPx.n it is shooting clean and without any issues.

My question is the barrel.  Mine appeared pretty dark after first use and no longer has that original color that it had prior to my using (about 1,000 rounds and four cleanings at this point).  Should I be using something different or soaking it in something?  It feels smooth but is almost black.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:21:28 PM by nonamethanks »

Offline .45 acp nut

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »
The only firearms of mine that get cleaned after each outing are my muzzleloaders.
Sempr Fi!

Offline Winkel

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »
Sorry to necrobump, but I'm new to owning a pistol and have been enjoying my SP-01.  I'm cleaning it after each use with M-Pro gun cleaner and a little M-Pro Gun Oil LPx.n it is shooting clean and without any issues.

My question is the barrel.  Mine appeared pretty dark after first use and no longer has that original color that it had prior to my using (about 1,000 rounds and four cleanings at this point).  Should I be using something different or soaking it in something?  It feels smooth but is almost black.

I believe that black coating is actually supposed to be there.  If there's no build up on it, just put a light film of oil on it and call it good.  Now the crown and bore are a different story.  I have the suppressor ready version and the crown of the barrel under the thread protector gets fouled after about 500 rounds.  I polished it up with some diamond paste so it shines like a mirror now.  We'll see if that helps it stay clean.

Offline TexanFX2

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 09:01:18 PM »
Any references as to lubrication points (and which lubricants should be used)?
I have other firearms that I use different types of lubricants, just want to make sure I use the proper ones for my new toys/tools.
Fact: Cajunized SP-01 | Cajunized SP-01 Compact (CZ 75B Compact) | Cajunized Shadow 2 | CZ Kadet 2
For Sale: P-01 Omega (SOLD) | BNIB FNH Five Seven (Sold pending funds)

Offline biglou13

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »
Any references as to lubrication points (and which lubricants should be used)?
I have other firearms that I use different types of lubricants, just want to make sure I use the proper ones for my new toys/tools.

i've tried many different lubricants..
i've settled on mobil one grease and mobil one oil.  (but you'll find multi page threads on choice of lube)   an you'll get many different opinions on technique.

when field stripping i'll put a very small amount of grease on all parts that contact, and accessible, mostly upper parts, rails , and  large contact points on lower,  cycle gun  then wipe off any excess.    then with precision dropper,  tiny drops on all contact/ moving points,  cycle gun wipe of any excess.
SP-01 work in progress
Colt Special Combat Government (previous owner tuned)
m-4gery
mossy 500 cruiser
sticks and knives

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 12:03:03 PM »
I'm also guilty of cleaning after every range trip. Everyone has favorites (how many different ones have I "tried"?). Currently using Weaponshield (CLP), but also use Hoppe's on the barrel. On the rails, I've started using the grease that CGW sells (man, a little of that goes a long way and the slide moves…..well, like it's on rails).
[Brake cleaner makes sense…..will have to keep that in mind]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:07:25 PM by ernie_h »

Offline kato01

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
Try the Frog Lube solvent.  I use that for cleaning and the paste for lubrication.

Offline Kisssofdeath

• Live today as if it was your last day.
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 01:56:05 AM »
New to cleaning CZ's.  I'm most familiar with Hickok45's approach to cleaning and lubricating Glocks.  He takes the perspective that too much lubrication means more accumulated crud.  However, from the YouTubes I've watched, it looks like CZ's need much more lubrication and naturally get more dirty.  I've been searching unsuccessfully for a detailed set of instructions that describe best practices for cleaning and lubrication.  People seem to do this many different ways.  If you have a recommendation on where to look, I'd appreciate the referral.

Also, how often do you recommend complete disassembly and cleaning?

Im not a hickok45 fan but I agree with his way of thinking.
Thanks,
Tim

If you know how many guns you have ...you don't have enough.

Offline jmx66

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 10:10:46 PM »
I love this stuff, it works like brake cleaner but isn't as caustic, not as nasty if you get it on your skin and won't harm plastic or painted surfaces:
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Cleaning-Maintenance/Gun-Scrubber®-Firearm-Cleaner.aspx

It's illegal for sale in California so you know it's got to be good. ;D
Fortunately Amazon hasn't noticed that yet.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 12:21:23 AM »
jmx,  your shipping costs would be more than two cans of brake cleaner.   :)  Just saying.
It's also very good to clean out around the ejector and in the channel without having to remove it.

anything