Author Topic: ZKK-600 Series - proprietary scope mount for Zeiss Scope  (Read 11683 times)

Offline Oktogen

ZKK-600 Series - proprietary scope mount for Zeiss Scope
« on: March 28, 2008, 01:16:37 PM »
Hello CZ-fans,
take a look at this scope mount. It is the reason for my interest in CZ-rifles. Todays rifle makers just drill some poor holes in the breech mechanism to mount a scope - and this in a way medieval people mouted rain tubes to their houses... As if a scope is a kind of foreign substance to a rifle.

During mid sixties no one less than Carl Zeiss Jena created a 4x magnification scope (ZF 4 S) in cooperation with CZ who designed a machined steel scope mount to fit the scope on the then new 600-series rifles. As far as I am informed, those scope-mounts were designed in two different lenghts to fit 600 and 601 rifles only. I have never heared of 602-type mounts. Each type is stamped as "601" or "600" type.

But let?s have a look at it now:

This picture shows a total view of a .308 cal. 601 (proof marks 1970) rifle with the Carl Zeiss scope.

Close up. The scope is pivoted into the scope mount which allows side correction on the opposite - shown here by the two screws on the left side.
The scope is dovetailed into the mount here.
Right turret is for focusing; the left one for elevation of the reticle.

Close up of the right side. There are "quick release nuts" on the screws.

Close up from the bottom. On the left you see the pivot screw.
On the right there is a big pin to transmit recoil forces.

At least - as a tribute to the collectors: there are two different types of scopes, here shown with their different overall lenghts.
Both are about 4x30. The upper scope is shown with the scope mount removed.
Note the pivot on the left and the dovetail on the right hand.

Reticle of these scopes is made of hardened steel wires. There is no glass plate on which dirt could influence a clear sight.
This is a little advantage of this kind of construction.
Internal focusing makes these scopes appear quite rugged.

This ensemble shows a nice suggestion of a way how one could mount a scope. I am sure it is a way we like.

Unfortunately development of these scopes an mounts were discontinued within production time of ZKK 600 series.
But these combinations will fit 537 and 550 medium systems.
Those who hunt at quite short distances in narrow forests or are real marksmen will welcome the wide angle field of view of such a low magnifying scope as I do.

Best regards from Germany.

<p>
</p>
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:12:16 PM by Oktogen »

Offline Apniest

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »
Hello Oktogen from New Zealand,
I have been looking for these scopes/bases for some tome now to either purchase or information on them.
Are they still easily purchased in Europe and if so where are the best places to find them?
Do you have any information on them??
I have only seen one of these in New Zealand in the same condition as yours and have several ZKK's that I would like to find
one of these scopes for in both 600 and 601.
My email adress is james@splash.co.nz and would like talk more about these great scopes

Regards

Offline Oktogen

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
James,
these scopes are quite rare to find though they are not very expensive if you find one.
Most people do not know what they have. This too does it make harder to find the scopes. I guess the 4x scope has never been very popular. In early Frankonia-catalogues this is the general importer in Germany) it is mentioned with a very little picture; just an inconsiderable remark and with a relatively high price at that time.

The biggest problem is to find both - mount and scope. I personally own three scopes - but only one mount. I have no idea why people get the idea to remove the mount from this scope. As I am informed, there are no other scopes to fit the ZKK-mount nor are there other mounts to fit these special scopes we are talking about.

At this site there are presently two offered for 601 rifles:
http://www.asamnet.de/~ehrenred/zubehoer/po.htm I got mines for much less money - but if it is urgent, there would be a way.... (do not hasitate asking me for support if you need).

A friend of mine has a naked 600-type-mount for me. I do not have a rifle for it yet - but one time I will that is sure. Rifles are much easier to find than these scopes with mounts.
I would like to get a 600 in either .270, .30-06 or 7x64 with gun sling swivel at the barrel, pop up sight and monte-carlo-stock. Nothing less.... But I do not have to hurry.

For years I did not notice BRNO big bore rifles. From my early days I owned a smallbore ZKM. The superb construction aroused my curiosity in the last years when I got annoyed at the poor mounting solutions for scopes at all in the time of CAD-CAM.
BRNO rifles are by far my favourites today.

Nice to have found someone from the opposite side who shares these thoughts.

Best regards from Hamburg

Offline Apniest

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 06:09:19 PM »
Thanks Oktogen for the reply,
Keeping an eye out for the scope and bases and would appreciate anything that comes your way.
I have a ZKK601 at present that I would very much like to get a scope and base for so if anything
in nice condition comes your way please contact me (james@splash.co.nz)

Offline Oktogen

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »
What I wanted to add ist a picture of the 600 mount.
Notice that it totally covers the dovetail (objective side is smaller than eyepiece side). I only know of those two lenghs (601 and 600).
Shown 600 mount should fit CZ537 and CZ550 standard lengh receivers.

Reticles of these scopes are made of hardened wire. There is just a hight correction.
Internally the reticle-support is pressed against an excenter stud by a spring. At all my (4) scopes it occured that the reticle did not move back to lowest position, once having been turned up to highest position.
This is due to aged lubricant. In my case I carefully warmed the whole scope with my girlfriend?s hairdryer (leaving the scope in the sun for a little while will do it too).
Avoid punctual heating! Moisture could condense at the inner (then cold) lens surface and damage coating.

First time I saw the reticle moving down by its own I thought I was drunk though I just got a cup of milk with ovaltine before....
But then I realized how the mechanism works.
Turning the reticle up and leaving it slide down for several times helped to make these scopes operational again.

Best regards!

Offline enricos

Re: ZKK-600 Series - proprietary scope mount for Zeiss Scope
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »

Hello CZ fans.

I am Enricos from the Netherlands and I have the same set as shown by Oktogen and I have a question  about a mount.

As told, I have a scope mount  BRNO ZKK 600 + scope Jena Zeiss DDR ZF4/S.
At this time I now that the SCOPE is used on a sniper SSG 82. At the DDR time is was a normal combination, the SSG 82 + Jena scoop

Oktogen gives the answer for the CZ rifles. So there is another rifle where it fits on. I also have the information that the  ZKK 600 mount can probably also be placed on a Mauser.  But which one ?

Was there in the past a relation between SSG rifles and BRNO/CZ ?

Maybe someone have the answer.

B.t.w the scope and the mount are for sale

Kind regards.
Enricos

Hello CZ-fans,
take a look at this scope mount. It is the reason for my interest in CZ-rifles. Todays rifle makers just drill some poor holes in the breech mechanism to mount a scope - and this in a way medieval people mouted rain tubes to their houses... As if a scope is a kind of foreign substance to a rifle.

During mid sixties no one less than Carl Zeiss Jena created a 4x magnification scope (ZF 4 S) in cooperation with CZ who designed a machined steel scope mount to fit the scope on the then new 600-series rifles. As far as I am informed, those scope-mounts were designed in two different lenghts to fit 600 and 601 rifles only. I have never heared of 602-type mounts. Each type is stamped as "601" or "600" type.

But let?s have a look at it now:

This picture shows a total view of a .308 cal. 601 (proof marks 1970) rifle with the Carl Zeiss scope.

Close up. The scope is pivoted into the scope mount which allows side correction on the opposite - shown here by the two screws on the left side.
The scope is dovetailed into the mount here.
Right turret is for focusing; the left one for elevation of the reticle.

Close up of the right side. There are "quick release nuts" on the screws.

Close up from the bottom. On the left you see the pivot screw.
On the right there is a big pin to transmit recoil forces.

At least - as a tribute to the collectors: there are two different types of scopes, here shown with their different overall lenghts.
Both are about 4x30. The upper scope is shown with the scope mount removed.
Note the pivot on the left and the dovetail on the right hand.

Reticle of these scopes is made of hardened steel wires. There is no glass plate on which dirt could influence a clear sight.
This is a little advantage of this kind of construction.
Internal focusing makes these scopes appear quite rugged.

This ensemble shows a nice suggestion of a way how one could mount a scope. I am sure it is a way we like.

Unfortunately development of these scopes an mounts were discontinued within production time of ZKK 600 series.
But these combinations will fit 537 and 550 medium systems.
Those who hunt at quite short distances in narrow forests or are real marksmen will welcome the wide angle field of view of such a low magnifying scope as I do.

Best regards from Germany.

<p>
</p>

anything