Author Topic: turret storage  (Read 2718 times)

Offline korny351

turret storage
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:38:40 PM »
This may sound a little mundane but here it goes.  Recently switched over to a Lee Classic Turret press from an old RCBS Rockchucker.  Love the idea of not having to mount and adjust dies all the time.  Currently load for 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and .45 ACP.  How are you guys storing your extra turrets w/ dies mounted?  I don 't like just laying them down on the bench getting dusty but my bench doesn't have drawers.  I thought I had heard that the round Lee die boxes were designed to hold the loaded turrets, but my press is the 4-holer not 3.  Any suggestions?

mbott

turret storage
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »
I use something like these: Sterilite

--
Mike

Offline Radom

• HGWT
turret storage
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:41:08 PM »
I used to use the largest tubs that Country Crock margarine ships.  Empty American Spirit tobacco cans almostwork, which was a major disappointment.  I go through one of those every two weeks or so.  Pipe tobacco cans would work, though.
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
turret storage
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:36:49 AM »

Some of the newer large Plastic Folgers or generic Coffee cans may work.  I like those for empty Brass, but they should fit your Turrets.  If you have a Powder Measure installed on the Expander Die, it's kind of iffy.  You might also consider some of the semi-disposable Gladware they have at the grocery stores, if you can find something large enough.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Radom

• HGWT
turret storage
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »
Quote from: jwc007

Some of the newer large Plastic Folgers or generic Coffee cans may work. I like those for empty Brass, but they should fit your Turrets. If you have a   Powder Measure installed on the Expander Die, it's kind of iffy. You might also consider some of the semi-disposable Gladware they have at the grocery   stores, if you can find something large enough.

I was speaking about just the turret.  Folgers and Maxwell House are using a lot of plastic packaging these days.  The smallest size Folgers' plastic can will also hold a turret (no powder measure).

I bet the average Dollar General or Big Lots would have something that works for cheap, as jwc007 suggests.
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline korny351

turret storage
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
Looking through the local Walmart, I found plastic 3 x5 index card storage boxes by Sterilite for less than a buck.  They will fit 2 loaded turrets with minimal wasted space.  They will do for now.  May try my hand at fabricating some kind of rack out of plexi and a 3" hole saw.  Just for the "cool" factor.

Thanks for all the input.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 08:45:48 AM by korny351 »

Offline marlin.357

Re: turret storage
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:17:25 AM »
The Lee Round die storage box Works for 3 or 4 hole turrets. Turn the bottom upside down, put in the turret with the dies installed, and slip on the cover. 

If you change anything, you've changed everything.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: turret storage
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:37:22 PM »
Usually, most turrets will have a hole near the center into which a wooden dowel can be inserted. If the bottom end of the wooden dowel is placed into a 1x6 board, then one or more turrets can be supported for storage. The 1x6 can then become a table-top item, or a wall-mounted shelf for safe, out-of-the-way storage for numerous turrets.

Take a look at the Dillon turret stands to see what I mean. The Dillon version is a single turret stand, but try to envision several of those glued together side-by-side.

Hope this helps!
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.