Author Topic: CZ-40b Roll Call!  (Read 61430 times)

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
CZ-40b Roll Call!
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »

CZ-40b Roll Call!

CZ-40b Roll Call!

If you got a 40b, answer up and post some pics!

I'm interested to see what you all have, and what kind of work you guys have done... and I also would like to see what production years we have.

Mine are a '00 and '05 vintage. The one on the left is my future carry as the weather cools up and I drop some more work into it. The one on the right is both my first gun and my USPSA Limited-10 gun that I'm taking to the state championships this year. I started shooting almost exactly 6 months ago and so far the 40b hasn't let me down once. I picked it up very well used with about 10k rounds through it, and I've put at least 5k rounds through it so far.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:48:33 AM by burningsquirrels »

Offline dleong

• Administrator
Re: CZ-40b Roll Call!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:13:50 PM »
I currently have two 40Bs in the nest:

Both were purchased new at the same time from Gander Mountain several years ago, when their firearms were actually priced competitively. Believe it or not, I paid only $250 for each of them. Gander had them on sale at the time, and they were marked down from $300. It was an offer that was too good to resist, and I was weak...

The 40Bs came with grey carburized barrels, which I polished to a more aesthetically pleasing and maintenance-friendly satin silver finish. I also installed cut-down 22 lb. Wolff recoil springs (intended for the 75B) and lighter 17 lb. hammer mainsprings in both of them. The trigger mechanisms were also given a "fluff and buff" treatment to improve the trigger pull and break.

The 40B in the top picture sports wood grips made by Omega (aka Sam Barbakov), and has never been fired; the one in the bottom picture is the one I take to the range regularly. The gun is extremely accurate with my target handloads.

Offline gunControl

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »
Hey, not fair!
You guys are making it real hard for me to take a picture and put it up.
Your pictures look like a catalog photo. How did you even get the guns to stay so clean?

Well, I'm going to try any way, now where is that camera ...

Pat Jr.

OK, it sucks, but at least it's a picture

I don't know how to do the linking thing.
I am not sure but I think it's an 06 ?
not sure where to look really.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 04:54:18 PM by gunControl »

Offline Boogalou

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:23:34 PM »
No pics but I have a vintage 2001 that has some nice homemade wood grips on it from the guy in Utah that used to make the steel guide rods.  The actual PO was Eric Larson and he threw in a nice holster with it.   Pretty much stock except for a cut down 20# recoil spring and a standard trigger job/polish.   I shoot the gun just as well as my CZ75's and it's my standard carry weapon during the colder months.

Found a pic -

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:29:18 PM by Boogalou »

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 12:14:36 AM »
awesome pics guys!

dleong, wanna exchange handload info?

boogalou, is that a tuckable holster? i'm looking for one, will probably try HBE's stuff for my bday next week :)

gunControl, it looks like an '06 in the picture. if you look behind the ejection port in the picture, above the extractor arm, there's an oval with a logo in it, and two numbers. mine say 00 and 05 in there, for 2000 and 2005 vintage.

Offline dleong

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:28:19 AM »
dleong, wanna exchange handload info?
Sure! My standard 40S&W handload is a 155 gr. flat point projectile (either Rainier or Berry's, whichever is on sale) over 5.4 gr. of Universal powder at an OAL of 1.140" with a light taper crimp. I prefer Remington brass due to their better dimensional consistency, and use either CCI or Winchester primers (whichever is on sale). This is a soft-shooting load which is good for approximately 1050 fps out of the 5" barrel of my XD-40 Tactical, and has proven to be consistently accurate in all of my 40S&W-chambered pistols.

What's your preferred handload?

Offline Boogalou

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
BS - That holster is one of Eric's when He owned the gun.  He sent me a IWB Com2 holster when I purchased the gun.  I never liked it to much and sold it a few years ago.  I now use a Fist holster that I'm very happy with.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/17A.htm

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »
boogalou - what didn't you like about the IWB com2? is that the one with the straps both ahead and behind the gun? i was thinking of going with a tuckable of this style but i'm not sure what the draw will be like.... that or the even pricier DC with the two straps ahead and behind the gun.

dleong:

i don't have a chrono, so i'm not 100% sure what's going on, but recoil is completely manageable and comparable to factory ammo with these.

for accuracy, i used a rainier 135 grn jhp in front of 5.8 grains of titegroup at 1.135" col fired by cci 500 small pistol... i was getting shots i didn't think i could make with this load. shoots super flat for me and easily controllable. i didn't know if it can make major for ipsc though, it'd have to fly pretty fast (at least 1250) to get there. for the heck of it i tried 6.2 grains as well and it makes a neat fireworks show. snappy recoil. also tried 9.5 grains of 800-X, downloaded from what they had on their site. supposed to be low pressure. i've never seen blue flames from a gun before. i only shot a couple rounds then stopped, lol.

i'd have to label the 5.8 grains my favorite load...

right now i'm playing with 180 grain flat points... they're on top of 4.3 grains titegroup, also 1.135" and cci 500 primers. haven't chrono'd it yet, but it should make major pretty easy. i'm going to the state match in october, so a chrono may be in my immediate future. only problem is finding a place to use it.

Offline Jeff Bergquist

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »
Here's a few of my CZs including my two 40Bs.

The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »
i love the finish on that bottom one! i once had an inkling to redo the finish on my competition gun.... :D

Offline Boogalou

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 10:48:25 PM »
i love the finish on that bottom one! i once had an inkling to redo the finish on my competition gun.... :D

Jeff - Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that bottom CZ40B also one that used to belong to Eric?  Didn't he just take the polycoat off to get that look?

BS - Concerning the holster I sold, I just remember it didn't feel comfortable on me.   Nothing against Eric's work, as I also have a couple of his holsters for a CZ75B and PCR, but the COM1 just didn't do it for me.

Offline Jeff Bergquist

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »

Jeff - Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that bottom CZ40B also one that used to belong to Eric?  Didn't he just take the polycoat off to get that look?

Yes it's the one I bought from Eric Larson. He took the polycoat off the flat of the slide on a later one, but this one was sent to Accurate Plating and Weaponry to be completely hard chromed, brushed finish on the flats of the slide and matte everywhere else.

It also has had a trigger job, a reconfigured beavertail, a fiberoptic front sight installed, the outside of the chamber block jewelled, and included the Hakan grips you see on it and a really nice IWB holster. A very unique pistol and a sweet shooter as well. IMO it may be the nicest 40B in the world.

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
jeff - got a pic of the jewelled chamber?

boogalou - will probably try out one of his tuckables soon. maybe the com, not sure. how thick was it?

Offline schmeky

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 01:38:28 PM »
Does anybody know where I can find some smooth wooden grips in stock for my 40B?

Offline Jeff Bergquist

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 10:08:53 PM »
BS, I don't have a pic myself showing the jewelled chamber, but here's a couple pics of the pistol from Hakan Pek's website. Also note that that is the holster I got with it.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:10:43 PM by Jeff Bergquist »