Author Topic: 1993 EAA Witness Sight Options  (Read 8457 times)

Offline superdelsol

1993 EAA Witness Sight Options
« on: September 04, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »
Hi everybody.  My name is Scott and I own an EAA Witness EA9SS that I bought back in 1993.  The gun has always shot low, and I read here that EAA offers a higher rear sight.  I have a call into EAA to check availablity, and I'm waiting for a call back.  My pistol is stainless steel, not the wonder finish, and I have never seen another one like it.  Apparently it was made from 92-96.  It seems to be unique in that both sights are dovetailed.  I am hoping to fix the low bullet impact problem, and maybe improve the sights at the same time.  It is difficult to tell from the EAA website if anything there will fit my older, small frame 9mm Witness.  Does anybody know of upgraded sights that will fit this gun.  I would like just about anything that would be an improvement on the simple 3 dot combat sights that are on the gun.  I'm open to fiber optic, night sights, or adjustable sights.  I've seen the Baby Eagle Millet sights, and Meprolight sights for both the Baby Eagle and the TA-90.  I hope that somebody here can steer me straight.  The gun is stock except for a little polish and the Hogue wrap-around grips.  Thanks.  

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:55:31 AM by superdelsol »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."  Richard P. Feynman, Rogers Commission Report, Appendix F, 9 June 1986

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: 1993 EAA Witness Sight Options
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 04:28:56 PM »
Welcome to the Clone Side of the Forum!

Very nice Pistol you have there!

Baby Eagle and TA90/TZ75 sights should have the same dovetail dimensions as your 1993 Witness.  If your gun is hitting low, then perhaps you just need a lower front sight.  A lower Fiber Optic Sight might just be the ticket!  My Full Size 9mm TA90/88 has a lower front sight than your 9mm Witness, and it is dovetailed.  If changing sights, You might want to have someone with a press remove them, as they tend to be tightly installed.

TA90/88's, Full Size and Compact

Any chance you could resize your pic down?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:42:29 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline superdelsol

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
Thanks jwc007.  I would really like a front fiber optic sight.  Do you know who makes them in the witness dovetail size?  I did find out that EAA has a taller rear sight for this gun at $15 + shipping.  The gunsmith said the other sights such as fiber optic front, or adjustable rear will not fit my gun.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:56:54 AM by superdelsol »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."  Richard P. Feynman, Rogers Commission Report, Appendix F, 9 June 1986

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:25:41 PM »
Hi Supperdelsol and WelcomeYou truly have a exceptional gun.   I thought going over some of the sight options would be helpful. 
(1) adjustable rear sight.   
(2) Filing down the front sight, you would want to dress down the rear of the front sight to remove the dot and then lower the sight until it shot to point of aim. 
(3) If you have the ability to remove the front sight and make careful, precise measurements then HiViz, Dawson Precision, or L.P.A.  can help you.  These are great companies with people who will go to great lengths to solve a problem like yours. They have helped me put fiber optic sights on R.A.P s, Ruger sp101, and Witness. 
If you go to my post near the top of the page you will see these guns as well as my Witness with a stainless steel frame.  By the way until your post I thought I might have the only stainless Witness.  I wonder how many of these guns were made.   I hope this helps.  No matter what you decide if you need help we are here.  Let us know how it all turns out.   R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline superdelsol

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »
Thanks Rod.  Before I posted here, I read your sticky, and knew I was in the right place for some "straight talk".  What is an R.A.P?  For my wife?s DAO Spurless Ruger SP101 .357, I ordered a "Small Wonder" fiber optic front sight from Marc Morganti at Gemini Customs, LLC.  That fiber optic front sight and the Hogue Monogrip made all the difference in the world on that little Ruger.  Best $50 I ever spent ($30 for sight + $20 for grip).  Here is a picture of the "Small Wonder" that Gemini Customs offers:

For my Witness, I think a Millett rear is a good place to start.  If that fixes my problem, then I can move on to fitting a fiber front sight.  As much as I would like to keep the Witness "tactical" for carry use, it just doesn't see much of that now that I have the Glock 23.  I swore I would never own a plastic gun, let alone a Glock because I disliked everything about them from the grip, to the striker, to the "safety" or lack thereof.  I bought the Glock from my brother, with extras like a holster, night sights, and 350 rounds because it was a bargain.  I started using it for carry after obtaining my CCW because it was the only gun I had with a holster.  I have since found a holster for the Witness, and occasionally carry it, but it is heavy, and sticks me in the leg when I sit down.  I really like the size of your Witness, and kick myself in the ass because I passed up a two-tone compact in .40 S&W years ago.  I think that gun had a short barrel and a built-in compensator, yet retained the compact size.  Never seen another one like it.

I initially had problems with my Witness EA9SS due to galling between the hammer and slide, preventing the slide from returning to battery.  I called EAA and was told to shoot the gun 2000-3000 times, and it would go away.  I told the gunsmith there that I expected the gun to function out of the box, and that I had already put a few hundred rounds through it, and that should have been enough for break-in.  I am not a metal worker or gunsmith, but I can usually figure out and fix things myself if I research the problem and think about it.  I looked into the causes of galling and found that it usually occurs when similar metals are in contact.  I looked at other stainless guns and found that all of them had hammers made of something besides stainless steel.  It seems as though Tanfoglio made the whole gun from stainless steel, even the sights, safety, and slide stop lever.  My options were to replace the hammer with a non-stainless steel one or to find a way to decrease friction, and thus galling where the hammer contacted the slide.  No amount or type of lubricant worked, so I decided to slightly bevel the edge of the hammer and the leading edge of the slide to distribute the force over a larger, smoother contact area.  After removing a little metal, and polishing the contact points, the problem went away.  The only other "real" gunsmithing I have done was to hand fit a match barrel with compensator that I bought that was intended for a Jericho.  I picked it up from a liquidator in Shotgun News for $69.  It was intentionally oversized and required fitting.  A few days of hand sanding, and a lot of blue dye and I finally got it to fit.  It was really scary for someone like me to take sandpaper or a Dremel to a firearm, but very satisfying when it worked out.  I'm don't think Tangfoglio anticipated the galling, but it doesn't seem like they tested the finished product either.  I have often wondered if this is the reason I have never seen another fully stainless Witness.  The only mention of this variant I have seen was in a Gun Digest price guide.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:52:46 AM by superdelsol »

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 11:11:37 PM »
superdelsol.....A  R.A.P. is a pistol made in South Africa by Republic Arms for there police force.  Thanks for the info on Gemini Custom.  Knowing about them will save me some time on my next SP 101 project.

You may not be a gunsmith but your trouble shooting work on your Witness is one of the main traits of a good gunsmith and to often lacking in some of those in my area.

If you look back to the Colt Delta Elite 10 mm you will find this pistol galled badly for the same reason you had this problem.  One of the  ways we addressed this problem was with a product called RIG +P grease.  The +P was made by RIG for guns like yours and the Colt.  I use this product on all my guns areas of wear. 

As you noted the small frame Witness compact is hard to beat for CCW. 

You take care.   R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline superdelsol

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 03:46:27 AM »
It's funny that you mentioned the Delta Elite, Rod.  I bought a blue DE in 1987, and wanted a Stainless Gold Cup when that came out.  I sold the blue DE after the 40 S&W stole the 10mm thunder, and it started to become hard to find 10mm ammo.  The SS Witness 9mm was what I bought to replace the Colt.  I figured that it had just about everything I needed in a pistol, and the ammo was cheap and plentiful.

It looks like Detonics is credited with being the first gun manufacturer to solve the SS galling problem in automatics, and they kept it a secret.  

I just saw that Trijicon is offering a front night sight for the Ruger SP101.  I don't know if that is a new product, or if I missed it when I was hunting sights for my wife?s gun.  Fobus now makes an "Evolution" holster for the Ruger SP101.

It looks like the Springfield P9 may have been available in a stainless steel version.  I found this "Factory Comp Gun" for sale overseas, and it looks a lot like my Witness before I polished it.  Too bad Springfield dropped the Tanfoglio pistols, they were nice guns.  

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:02:45 AM by superdelsol »

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 11:22:58 AM »
superdelsol........I don't know if you our one of "Us Old Dogs" but your gun knowledge is right up there with the best of us.  You will make a valuable addition to this forum.  Hope you hang around.

Thanks for the SP 101 info.   As for the Springfield P9 I consider this the high water mark for the Tanfoglio line.  Would I ever like to own the P9 you have posted! 

Thanks very much for your contributions.   R S     

Offline superdelsol

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:34:34 PM »
Well I found a Millet rear sight that fit my Witness perfectly.  The box says it's for the CZ-75, TZ-75, and TA-90.  I'm still looking for a front fiber optic sight, but for now my point of impact trouble is over. 

« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:04:19 PM by superdelsol »

Offline superdelsol

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 08:49:16 PM »
Howdy folks.  It's been 13 years since I posted here, but better late than never.  I finally found a fiber optic front sight for my EAA Witness EA9SS pistol.  It's a Hi-Viz that was made for a rifle, but the dovetail angle was correct, and the dovetail length front to back was just a little bigger than the dovetail slot on the slide, so I was able to sand it down to fit.  Here it is, along with the Pachmayr G10 grips that I recently found.  It's good to be back.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 03:47:33 PM »
Welcome back!  :)   Very Nice Grips!  8)

I finally found a fiber optic front sight for my EAA Witness EA9SS pistol.  It's a Hi-Viz that was made for a rifle, but the dovetail angle was correct, and the dovetail length front to back was just a little bigger than the dovetail slot on the slide, so I was able to sand it down to fit. 

And exactly what Rifle would that be for?  ???  A Hi-Viz part/model number would also be helpful.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline superdelsol

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 10:11:54 PM »
I used a HiViz universal front sight for rifles, PN DOVM-260.  The dovetail width is 3/8", and the sight height is 1/4".  As I stated, I had to fit the sight by hand using sandpaper.

Here is a link to the part at the HiViz website:

https://www.hivizsights.com/product/dovm-series/

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 06:37:06 PM »
I used a HiViz universal front sight for rifles, PN DOVM-260.  The dovetail width is 3/8", and the sight height is 1/4".  As I stated, I had to fit the sight by hand using sandpaper.

Here is a link to the part at the HiViz website:

https://www.hivizsights.com/product/dovm-series/

Thankyou!  8)  :)

Offline superdelsol

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2022, 08:52:01 PM »
Welcome back!  :)   Very Nice Grips!  8)

I finally found a fiber optic front sight for my EAA Witness EA9SS pistol.  It's a Hi-Viz that was made for a rifle, but the dovetail angle was correct, and the dovetail length front to back was just a little bigger than the dovetail slot on the slide, so I was able to sand it down to fit. 

And exactly what Rifle would that be for?  ???  A Hi-Viz part/model number would also be helpful.

jwc007: The last pair of Pachmayr G10 CZ-75 grips is still available from the "Lyman Bargain Den" on eBay.  Can't beat them, especially for $12.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193539486629?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D3937ee428de340a3a42a8ee0c2cc55eb%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D203476854522%26itm%3D193539486629%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DPachmayr&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Adc275d00-96a5-11ec-acc5-36d852fca489%7Cparentrq%3A33b4da9e17f0a69c39dff577ffff9ab6%7Ciid%3A1

anything