Author Topic: P-01 tale of woe  (Read 4026 times)

GSarmed

P-01 tale of woe
« on: December 07, 2005, 07:51:19 PM »
Well I had just purchased a brand new P-01 and had run 150 flawless rounds out of it at the range. It shot straight as an arrow and the trigger was great to boot. (Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me make a great decision in the P-01)  It was a 2002 model with a Kxxxx serial # and 10 rnd. mag.  My wife and I had plans to fly and meet her parents for a Thanksgiving family reunion. Her dad is an avid 1911 shooter, and I planned to bring my new pistol with me to shoot on their family farm.  To make a very long and sad story short, I declared the unloaded firearm at the ticket counter and went through the appropriate steps to check the pistol through to our final destination, only to find it stolen when we arrived.  Yes you heard me correctly, the P-01 and the aluminum gun box it was locked in had been stolen from my checked luggage. My luggage arrive just fine but the gun case inside it was gone.  It really was a TERRIBLE situation.  The airline has since sent me a check for the full replacement amount, and the replacement P-01 I ordered should arrive tomorrow.  I'm not sure what the moral of this story is, as I've since talked to people that have declared and checked unloaded firearms in their checked luggage and have found them on the other side.  Heads up everyone.

Offline deezulsmoke

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:41:59 PM »
Scumbag swine.:eek

BRASMAN

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 05:03:21 AM »
WOW! I would think they would do more than just give you a check. I mean they used to take finger nail clippers from us and someone that works there stole a firearm. I hope they catch the person and prosecute them. Did you file a police report or anything. It is not like it is just a bag that was stolen?

GSarmed

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 05:37:21 AM »
The airline, which I will try like hell never to fly in the future, did not give a bleep about the stolen pistol.  When my luggage came off the carousel, the first thing I did was open it and discover the theft.  I then ran the 20 or so feet to the airline baggage customer service booth and frantically (and I mean frantically) told the guy there what happened.  I was yelling and cursing bacause I was so freaked out, and he told me "sir this type of situation occurs quite often", as though that would calm me down.  I filed a stolen gun report with the police the next day, and the serial # has been entered in the NCIC database.  If cops find the gun at any point in the future, and the serial # is run, it will appear as being stolen, the perp will hopefully be beaten, and the gun confiscated.

Unregistered(d)

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 08:31:57 AM »
My sympathies, sir. I am glad they paid you for a new one, but things like that are some of the reasons I don't fly.

Jman3992

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »
This is not a gun issue but my mother in law just flew in from overseas, she had to stay the night in New York and catch a flight the next day for her final connection.
She received her baggage in New York with everything there but when it arrived at her destination, there were about 6 christmas gifts missing. And the airline said the same thing, "This happens often".
Pretty Sad, So this is what they mean by hightened security!

Offline raro

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 11:33:55 AM »
I used to travel frequently by air.  My basic rules on luggage were to place nothing of value in checked luggage, and take a change of clothes in a carry on bag.  

Many of my traveling associates lost items of value in checked luggage, and the airlines will sometimes lose or mis-direct luggage.

If I had a strong desire or need to have a firearm at my destination, I would ship it via Fedex and confirm its arrival before I get on the plane.  Fedex and UPS are not without risk, but I believe they make a better effort.

Good to hear that you were re-imbursed  permiting you to replace your P01.  Have fun, and shoot safe!

Ralph

GSarmed

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 08:44:10 PM »
Thanks folks.  I am very surprised (and pleased) that I was reimbursed for the full amount so quickly.  They certainly seemed as though they wanted the whole matter to just "go away".  
In any case let's get to the good stuff.  I JUST PICKED UP MY REPLACEMENT P-01 TODAY!!  It is a 2005 model and I was really worried that the trigger would be rough after reading some postings here about some late model P-01's.  The trigger is great.  Smooth as silk.  Breaks crisp and has no overtravel.  Maybe CZ heard the forum feedback, I don't know, but this gun was test fired in August of this year at the factory according to the paper that came with it.  I compared the original (stolen) test fire paperwork with the one I got today and the 6 shot spread are very similar.  That's a good sign in terms of factory repeatability.  One odd thing, however, on both test sheets the "Shooter's personal number" is 0043, but the red stamp on the on the original reads "Matula" and the new one reads "5709 Knot Petr". ???

I just got done cleaning it and can't wait to get it out on the range tomorrow to see how it digests different ammo.  

I called FEDEX to see if I could ship a pistol (thinking about my future trips where I would want my gun along) and they told me that either I or the recipient needed an FFL to ship a handgun.  Anyone know if this is true or did I just get someone that did not know what they were talking about?

Thanks.

Offline EZ CZ75

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 12:21:19 AM »
The FFL part is true.  The ATF law makes sure of that.  You will also find that by shipping it to an FFL you will usually pay anywhere from $10 to $30 for the transaction.  If your realtives know someone with an FFL then you might save some money by shipping to them.  
Then again, you could always try to ship it without telling anybody it is a pistol.  Just prepare yourself for a little chat with boys in blue should you ever get caught.

BRASMAN

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 03:14:57 AM »
There were only so many people that could have touched your lugage. I can not believe they blew it off when you know they couls narrow it down and yes it realy smacks the hi security thought to pieces. This makes me mad and my pistol was not stolen. It is a joke. What airlines was it or can you say or have you already and I missed it?

mbott

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 06:54:51 AM »
Quote:
I called FEDEX to see if I could ship a pistol (thinking about my future trips where I would want my gun along) and they told me that either I or the recipient needed an FFL to ship a handgun. Anyone know if this is true or did I just get someone that did not know what they were talking about?

Below may be somewhat dated, but, yes, one of the parties must be a FFL per their tariff.  Maybe it's time for you to get a C&R FFL.  It's only $30 for three years.

A) FEDEX: Service Guide, Terms and Conditions - Restrictions

Firearms. FedEx will only accept shipments of firearms when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by federal, state or local regulations when these conditions are met. FedEx will accept and deliver firearms between all areas served in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight and may not be sent C.O.D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the shipper is required to inform FedEx that the package contains a firearm. Firearms may not be shipped in one complete piece. When tendered for shipment, the firearm must be rendered inoperable, either by removing the firing pin in the gun and disconnecting the barrel, or by some other means so the package does not contain a completely assembled, usable weapon. The outside of the package should bear no label, marking, or other written notice that a firearm is contained within. This includes the abbreviation of the name of the shipper or recipient if the name would clearly indicate that the package could contain a firearm. Firearms and ammunition may not be shipped in the same package. Ammunition is always an explosive and must be shipped as Dangerous Goods. Signature release is not available for shipments containing firearms.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws including those pertaining to labeling. The local division office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) can provide assistance with the packaging and shipment of firearms.

--
Mike

Walt-Sherrill

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 07:06:10 AM »
You may want to talk with the ATF -- I've found them very easy to talk to and they generally have phone numbers in most phone books.

Federal regs do not require that you ship thru an FFL if you are shipping to yourself (as on vacation.) That is an exception.  It may be an exception that FedEx and UPS are aware of, but simply don't address -- as their website materials (and tariffs, which are cited) are meant for the masses and their staff, too.

A bit of guidance from the ATF may help.

Offline Dos

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 12:44:15 PM »
Quote "Firearms may not be shipped in one complete piece. When tendered for shipment, the firearm must be rendered inoperable, either by removing the firing pin in the gun and disconnecting the barrel, or by some other means so the package does not contain a completely assembled, usable weapon".

The above does not seem to be of any concern to Fed Ex.   Wonder if ATF has anything to say about it?   I have received many handguns through Express Carriers (including FedEx) and all of them were completely assembled and usable.

mbott

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 02:09:29 PM »
Quote:
Wonder if ATF has anything to say about it?

Not an ATF requirement as far as I know, but the shipper can request is at it's option.

Quote:
I have received many handguns through Express Carriers (including FedEx) and all of them were completely assembled and usable.

Me, too.

--
Mike

GSarmed

P-01 tale of woe
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 05:12:19 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm leaning towards the FEDEX route for next time.  One thing, though, what does:

"Maybe it's time for you to get a C&R FFL. It's only $30 for three years."

What's a "C&R" FFL?

anything