Author Topic: The Walther P1: A New Addiction?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline dleong

• Administrator
The Walther P1: A New Addiction?
« on: November 02, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »
A little over a year ago, I picked up a mint condition "reworked" Walther P1 at the local Gander Mountain for $260. The gun was apparently unissued and unfired since being reworked as it had no wear marks on all the major contact points and had next to no cosmetic wear on the finish. Here's an image of it taken not long after I acquired the gun:

Given its mint condition, I was somewhat reluctant to shoot it, and the gun was relegated to the role of safe queen--although I did frequently take it out to ogle and fondle it.  ;D

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, and I was once again at Gander looking at stuff. I headed over to their hunting department to look at their selection of pistols and laugh at the outrageous prices ($580 for a CZ 75 BD? C'mon, let's get real here!), when I noticed they had dropped the price on their used P1s to just $230. On a whim, I asked the salesperson if he had any P1s that were in excellent condition; he said he did not know, and volunteered to bring a few examples out from the storeroom for me to look at. He returned with 4 boxes of P1s; the first three looked pretty beat up cosmetically with lots of scuffs and scratches in the finish, but the fourth one appeared to be in mint condition. A closer examination revealed that this fourth one was indeed unissued. My next words to the salesperson were, "Where's the 4473?"

Here are a couple of images of the second P1:

And an image of both of them together:

I finally decided that a gun not fired was a gun not being enjoyed, so after a little bit of trigger work, I took the second P1 to the range a few days back and shot it. I had read that most post-war P38s and P1s had a tendency to shoot low, but my P1 was actually hitting the paper about 2" above the POA at 25 yards (with the windage spot on) using my 115 gr. target handloads from a benchrest. It was, however, grouping under 3" at that distance. Not bad for a $230 gun that sports a 10/80 manufacture date.

I'll probably continue to keep my first P1 in the safe, though. Would I pick up yet another P1? I might, if the price was right and its condition mint. I just hope this isn't the start of another addiction.  :(

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: The Walther P1: A New Addiction?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
Very nice Pix and Congratulations on your new P1!

For me it's an old addiction!  My WWII 1944 vintage AC Code (Walther) P38 was one of my first handguns and I still have it. 

I also picked up two Post War Police P38's to go along with it.  One was unfired and un-issued and I have fired it very little.  The other is a bit of a favorite Range Beater, although it is in very good shape.  P38's and P1's have an excellent reputation for accuracy, and for me, reliability as well!  I got the un-issued one from a distributor and was told it needed repair.  I bought it fairly cheap, for Walther Prices in those days.  It just needed a little TLC on the hammer strut and it was good to go!  Both have new Hammer Springs and metal recoil Spring retainers.

Two Post War P38's and one WWII 1944 AC Code Walther P38
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

Offline dleong

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:31:04 PM »
Thanks, jwc007!

That's a nice trio of P38s you have there. By the way, what's the story on the fingergroove grips on the leftmost P38?

Offline KFD147

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
I think if you look closer, you will notice that it is a rubber slip-on grip. Nice pistols though.

Jason 8)
Copperas Cove Pistol Club Member
Temple Gun Club Member
IDPA Member
CZ-USA supporter

"Owning a firearm makes you a shooter just like owning a guitar makes you a musican."

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:52:04 AM »
Thankyou and You are most Welcome!  ;D

By the way, what's the story on the fingergroove grips on the leftmost P38?

The Fingergroove Grips are a Hogue Handall Slip on Grip that slips on over the original factory grip.  That particular P38 is my Range Beater and I have also kept it for Home Defense and/or carried it.  In it's Range Beater role, it has primarily served as a loaner to Students at our Range who may need to borrow a 9mm Pistol for some reason or other.  Many students have liked it.  One who liked it quite a bit, went out and bought herself a P1 !

BTW, Chile still issues P38's and P1's, but may be adopting a different service pistol soon.  It may be considered obsolete by some, but I have never felt un-armed with one, and they are still very capable of giving excellent service!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:59:17 AM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

Offline dleong

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »
D'oh! I see it now, after turning the contrast on my monitor up to more normal levels. I might have to give it a try, as the grip on a P1 is thin enough that adding a Handall won't increase its girth appreciably, and might actually improve the ergos a bit.

Two more images of the P1:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:48:14 PM by dleong »