Author Topic: vz82 safety  (Read 2647 times)

Offline mashed68

vz82 safety
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
Besides the manual safety are there any others on the vz82 9x18 like a firing pin block?

Offline osoviejo

Re: vz82 safety
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:34:34 PM »
VZ82 doesn't have a firing pin block. It does have a spring to prevent the firing pin from striking the primer while the hammer's down.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.
- Goethe

Offline steve98664

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 07:13:08 PM »
I stand corrected.  I should have looked at the parts diagram closely.

I think the CZ82 is a very safe pistol. It was crucified without reason by the European press several years back for being unsafe.

The decocked position is safe and is mentioned in the Engaging the safety mode of the CZ83 manual.

Referencing the safe conditions of the pistol in the CZ83 manual from CZUSA is still worth it for folks new to the pistol.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:49:28 PM by steve98664 »

Offline osoviejo

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 02:43:36 PM »
I'm not sure we're seeing the same thing.  A "firing pin stop" isn't the same as a "firing pin block."  Look at the parts diagram on, say, a CZ 85 and you'll see both shown.  Unlike a CZ 75B or CZ 85, the VZ 82/CZ 83 doesn't have a firing pin block.  However, IMHO, the latter is plenty safe enough to carry with a round chambered and the hammer down.  Absent a full travel, full power hammer stroke, the spring prevents its firing pin from striking the primer.  Or it can be carried on cock and lock, just a matter of preference.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.
- Goethe

Offline Shadow 7D

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:50:51 PM »
The auto safety is a hammer stop / block.

take you pistol, place your finger on the trigger (after rendering it safe) pull the trigger until the little cross bar goes up push the hammer forward and it will make contact,

now take your finger off the trigger and push the hammer forward, the cross bar drops and prevents contact with the firing pin

anything