Author Topic: vz58 is a Hoot  (Read 2758 times)

Offline nwcp

vz58 is a Hoot
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:27:44 AM »
I've finally had the opportunity to put a few hundred rounds through my vz58 military sporter. I am so glad I chose the CZ over any number of ARs and AKs out there. The little rifle is a pleasure to shoot and it is accurate as battle rifles go. It seems to like Wolf ammo just fine although I would still like to run  some Barnaul through it just ot see if it's worth the price difference. Stripping and cleaning is a breeze and it gets a lot of favorable comments at the range. I've only been shooting it at 100 yards. From a practical standpoint it's a 50-100 yard weapon any way and works just fine at that range. I'm still adjusting to the iron sights. I would rather have had the fully shrouded, or open front sight than the half shroud that's on it. Makes for a confusing sight picture at first glance, but I'll get used to it. I might still go with some sort of optic in the future. This is a great rifle and well worth the price. Now to get the plastic followers and base plates for my extra mags so I can use the things without worrying about 922r compliance. I ordered mine from CZ thinking they'd have already been modified to meet the rules... fooled me. I would have purchased cheaper milsurp had I know CZ was just selling standard military mags. Nice pigskin pouch though,  :-\ All in all a wonderful semi auto that would work well as a survival weapon, or simply as a fun gun at the range. I think you could shoot 1000 rounds through the thing without cleaning and still have a functional rifle and it's light enough to carry all day without fatigue. It's also compact enough to use as a home defense rifle as well.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 04:07:43 AM by nwcp »

Offline nalioth

Re: vz58 is a Hoot
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:35:44 AM »
You can order a US made pistol grip from Lichtenberg research

You can order a US made gas piston from a well known 'smith that goes by the nick of hotbarrel

With those two parts, you can use regular ol' milsurp mags in your rifle.

Depending on how many mags you have, this may also be a less expensive option.

Nalioth's service awards

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
The rifle rocks, that's for certain! 8)

Offline rinco76

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:33:52 AM »
Nice gun indeed!

I'm thinking about shortening the barrel on mine. It should look something like this afterwards:

I have to run it through with my gunsmith first though. I don't know if the gun will repeat correctly. I think bigger holes have to be drilled in the "gas thingy" (sew me, I'm Dutch ;D )..
CZ 85B Combat Dualtone - 9 mm
VZOR 50 - 7,65 mm
BRNO Model 2 - .22lr

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:57:08 AM »
You mean the muzzle brake/recoil reducer you have in front? The gas operation should be just fine, as the gas tube isn't being moved. As for recoil reduction, yeah, that might be an issue with such a short barrel. I would need mucho governmental permission here to bring my barrel below 18 inches, too much of a pain.

Offline rinco76

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:43:05 PM »
No, I meant the gas operation (thanx!). Are you sure nothing should be changed? There isn't as much of a pressure build up with a shorter barrel??

About the length of the barrel.. We cannot exeed the minimum length of 30 cm, that is about 11,8 inch. On the other hand... we are not allowed to have a (working) folding stock. >:( >:( >:(
VZOR 50 - 7,65 mm
BRNO Model 2 - .22lr

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »
In my non-mechanical engineer mind, I would think the gas operation is going to be fine, as the gas tube hasn't been moved. I think. Considering the Krinkovs, and how radically they shortened those barrels with no loss of function. If I were you, I'd actually drop a line to CZ-UB and ask them about it.

Offline rinco76

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 02:08:50 AM »
...If I were you, I'd actually drop a line to CZ-UB and ask them about it.

I'm going to a well known (In Holland) gunsmith for a triggerjob on my 58 Combat on the 24th. It appears that he has done some "barrel cutting" before on L1A1 rifles, UZI's and MP5's. I'll ask him what he thinks, and if possible, what it would cost.
VZOR 50 - 7,65 mm
BRNO Model 2 - .22lr

Offline cz671

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 11:11:22 PM »
nwcp congrats on your purchase the vzs are awesome rifles, almost picked up an ak but decided on the vz. 

rinco76 thats an awesome looking vz, where can i get a pistol grips like yours?  what kind of mount is that to mount your red dot?

Offline rinco76

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:49 AM »
Thamx!

I ordered all my stuff from http://www.arsenalcz.com/takticke_doplnky.html

It's a a Czech based company, so don't expect things to go very fast! I waited two months, but it was worth it. Best deal you'll ever find.. The dot is mounted on the upper handguard with a weaver rail.
VZOR 50 - 7,65 mm
BRNO Model 2 - .22lr

Offline cz671

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 04:36:55 AM »
  thanks

anything