Author Topic: The CZ-ZONE: SP-01 PHANTOM PAGE!  (Read 67837 times)

ClarkstonCZ

The CZ-ZONE: SP-01 PHANTOM PAGE!
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:29:36 PM »
IF you are considering a SP-01.

Take a look at the NEW and EXCITING Polymer framed PHANTOM!

http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/hakan/PHANTOM.html

Offline brokenarrowjbe

Re: The CZ-ZONE: SP-01 PHANTOM PAGE!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »
Difference between this adn the tactical? Also eerw had a question about the slide rails. Thanks John

ClarkstonCZ

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »
Polymer frame and interchange backstrap, but decocker is the same as on the SP-01 Tactical.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »
any chance seeing inside the frame with the slide off..interested in seeing how the frame rails are done

Offline Juna

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:26:45 PM »
I'm assuming the rails are similar to the rails on my 2075 RAMI-P. There's steel in the important places.

Anyone own one of these yet for a range report?  I want either an SP-01 Tactical or a Phantom.  Trying to see how well people like the Phantom before I dive in.  Does the weight savings feel substantial, and how does the recoil compare to the SP-01 Tactical?

Offline USMCZ

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »
Yes, I bought one about 2 months ago. It was my first CZ so I can't make a lot of comparisons against the metal framed ones. Grip not as good as the metal framed CZ's. A bit more rectangular but it comes with 2 back-straps.
Changed the sights out to target back/fiber front. VERY accurate like most CZ's. A bit more recoil than a friends Tactical I shot but you would expect that. Cleaned before range and it took first 100 rounds with no failures. First gun in 9mm I have ever owned to do that out of the box.
No break in period required. WORST stock trigger I have ever seen. Lots of creep and then very choppy/rough until bang. Bought for my wife to shoot USPSA but will need work on trigger before viable. For the money...it is a great gun for the range or home defense.
USMC Rules For Gun Fighting:

24. Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Offline WildRice

I Gots One!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »
Hello All,

I was on the old CZ Forum under "Wild_Rice.fz1ownersgroup" but could not figure out how to transfer over here with the same user name, so I reregistered.  I have a P-01 9mm with a Kadet Kit.  I figured out how to disassemble and reassemble my decocker (not at all easy) in order to perform a hone action job on my sear which improved the single action trigger pull greatly.

Last week I bought a new SP-01 Phantom from the same dealer who sold me the P-01 and Kadet Kit.  I almost did not buy it as the single action trigger pull was stagey (like my original P-01) and the slide stop was sticky (would not release a locked back slide if the slide was pulled back sling shot style).  Still, the grip feel, slide/frame fit, and other controls were nice.  I figured things would break in and I could perform anther sear action job.  I also liked the fact that it would accept my Kadet kit and standard 16rd CZ75 mags, of which I have a decent supply.

The sear mechanism (integral with the rear inner metal frame rails) is pinned into the polymer frame and I did not want to risk botching it at this point.  What I did do was what I call an "in situ" sear hone.  I field stripped the gun, zip tied the hammer all the way back to the beaver tail, and zip tied the trigger back.  This exposes the sear engagement area.  I then used a thin file and performed a mild honing job.  The single action trigger is much, much better.  It is not quite were I want it yet, but I am hoping the rest will smooth out with break in and dry fire.  I do not recommend this to the home gunsmith.  I got very familiar with the sear on my other CZ so I knew where, what angle, and how much to hone.  It would be easy for someone to botch their gun with this modification.

The sticky slide stop broken in after 100 rds and it will now reliably release a locked back slide via the sling shot method.  I helped it along by honing the front of the groove in the slide stop shaft were the slide stop retaining spring rests for more rearward downward spring pressure on the slide stop.  The Kadet kit fit fine, but the kit's 22 mags will not hold the side back on the last shot (despite the PCR slide stop I use on my P-01/kit, which will lock back on the last round on the P-01).  My Mec-Gar's CZ75 spare mags with flat metal bases fit and function fine and don't protrude much past the mag well, as do the two supplied 18rd Phantom mags.

The frame of the Phantom has sharper frame edges behind the trigger.  With dry fire, the skin of my trigger finger was getting pinched behind the trigger during overtravel.  I Super Glued a thin rubber bumper to the back of the trigger guard to act as an overtravel stop and beveled one edge along the back of the trigger guard.  This helped some.  As it turns out, with live fire, I don't get any trigger finger pinching (recoil must work in my favor here).  I don't recommend installing an overtravel stop as it is one mod that can keep your gun from firing properly.

The grip is the best of any CZ75 I have tried with the molded in "checkering" and texture making the gun stick to your hand like Velcro, with no shift during recoil and no need to readjust the grip between shots.  Yet my hands were not torn up like on the grips of some other polymer-framed pistols.  I did not have to knock down any of the "checkering".  I comes with a round or flat interchangeable back strap, but both feel very good and I am having a hard time deciding which one to use permanently.  The recoil is very soft for a light gun due to the muzzle heavy balance and the energy absorption of the polymer frame.  It is a very pleasant gun to shoot and is very good as a range gun.  You can shoot box after box and not get fatigued.

The slimming slide cuts stop near where the extractor is loacted.  The back of the slide is still normal width.  The resulting transition point from slim to wide makes the slide very easy to rack.  The "inside the frame" design of the slide is a criticism of the CZ75 design as it can be harder to grasp/rack.  The Phantom slide is much easier to grasp and rack than the P-01 slide.

It fed FMJ and hollowpoints 100% with no malfunctions after 500 rds.  However, I noticed that most of the shell casings were landing softly on top of my shooting hat.  When cases hit you, it can be because the cases are ejecting too vertically, but when this happens they come back hard, not soft.  As it turns out the cases were ejecting too laterally, hitting the bottom edge of the slide's ejection port (leaving tell-tale marks), and causing them to bounce back at me, softly.  I solved this by altering the ejector tip angle for slightly less lateral ejection.  The casings now eject cleanly through the port and smartly off to the right side, out of my way.

With my sear hone and good ergonomics and grip, this is a very accurate pistol.  I like it a lot despite a few early teething problems. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:10:07 PM by WildRice »

Offline WildRice

Phantom Update
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »
Just to update you all on my new Phantom:
The grip is superb and sticks to the hand like Velcro, even when my hands get sweaty.  You get two interchangeable back straps and both feel very good.  The sides are slimmer than a regular CZ75, so those with smaller hands will like it.

Originally, the slide stop action was sticky and would not release the slide when pulled back sling shot style after reloading.  Now it is broken in and functions normally in all ways.  I think the polymer around the slide stop hole has to smooth out with break in.

No more trigger finger pinch and less overtravel after my trigger stop mod.  (I super glued a thin rubber pad to the back of the trigger guard (behind the trigger).  If the pad is too thick, the gun will not fire properly, so beware.

Kadet kit tuning on the Phantom took some time.  First of all, it slides right on, but the non-reciprocating part of the Kadet kit is really only supported at the slide stop block area and not at the forward part (the polymer Phantom dust cover does not really offer slide support, the Phantom slide is supported by mid and rear metal inserts in the polymer frame).  Despite that, it functions well and shoots accurately.  For slide lock back, one will need to modify a PCR slide stop.  The Phantom slide stop inner lug is way too short to reach the 22 mag follower.  A PCR slide stop inner lug is long enough, but it still needs modification.  The PCR slide stop has too much resistance for the weak 22LR magazine spring.  The options are to remove and bend the slide stop spring (which helps some, but too much can make the slide stop spring too weak for normal 9mm function).  I ended up filing the slot on the PCR slide stop shaft (the notch on the top right of the shaft that abuts the slide stop retaining spring).  The deeper this slot, the less pressure the slide stop spring exerts.  Deepening the slot could potentially weaken the slide stop, so only use the PCR slide stop for 22LR (and not for 9mm).  I tried my best to balance everything to allow reliable lock back on the last round and retain slide release with sling shot pulling of the slide.  However, due to the extra friction of the polymer (despite deburring the polymer portion of the slide stop holes and polymer frame face under the slide stop), this was not possible.  I settled by filing the slot so much that there is no significant downward pressure on a lifted slide stop, so I release the slide but simply pushing down on the slide stop after reloading (as one normally would).  It will not release on its own using sling shot pull back.  However, it will lock back the slide after the last round, reliably every time.  That was more important to me as it prevents damage to the firing pin (dry firing some rim fire guns can be bad for the firing pins).  Despite the lack of downward slide stop pressure, it did not lock back prematurely with rounds left in the mag, test fired with 200rds.  Using the stock Phantom slide stop with the Phantom slide is still completely normal.

I found my Kadet kit mag followers to be very gritty after about 1,000 rds each.  I disassembled the mags and used a test tube brush to clean the inside of the mags and followers really well.  While I was at it, I restretched the mag springs slightly for firmer spring action.

The reason I did all this work to get the Kadet kit working on the Phantom was that it is so much cheaper to shoot hundreds of rounds, and excellent full-sized-handgun practice.  The Kadet kit mags are full length and stick out too much on my more compact P01 (function fine but look weird).  The Kadet kit mags fit the Phantom perfectly.  Also, my Phantom's single action trigger was very stagey and creepy.  I performed an "in situ" sear hone that helped alot, but was still not were I wanted it.  The extra range time afforded by the Kadet kit has helped the sear break in process and better trained my finger to the Phantom's trigger action.  It shoots very accurately if I take my time.  Rapid fire is fun but not as accurate, of course.  The Kadet kit is not a match system as it is hampered by the CZ75 trigger system.  My most accurate 22LR pistols are Kimber and Ciener 22LR conversions on match tuned 1911 Colt Commander stainless steel frames (mainly due to the crisp, light, short-travel triggers).  The Kimber 22LR conversion is a real tack driver.  The Ciener is not as tight fitting but is a sweet and handy Commander length.

Note: I have also posted the Kadet Kit portion in the Kadet Kit section.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:05:44 PM by WildRice »

ClarkstonCZ

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:41:10 AM »
Looks like Sex on rails!

Offline E Mont

Re: A PHANTOM PAGE - GREAT!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 03:49:10 PM »
Hi all ~
Well it took me awhile but I finally found your forum and what a relief.  I do have a Phantom (after having had 3 P-9s and 2 Witness's) and I need some help/info.  I will be back tonight to see if anyone has had time to respond.

First - I have to say I LOVE IT!  It is the slimmest, lightest hi-cap 9mm I have had and It has a light rail!  I think the problems I am having are going to be easily solved.  Only mods so far ( will follow w/pix as soon as I can) is taking a file to the grip to break all of the sharp edges.  (I still do not understand why the manufacturers put out grips with sharp edges and that stupid 3 LPI checkering like the XDs and Glocks.  Just plumb goofy.)  And took a safe-edged file to the rear sight to deepen the notch ... and turned that sight around so no more dots.  But I have multi 1911's from Micro to 6" to .243 (... yes, .243) and multi XDs, but I am on the eternal quest for the best.  I like LW and slim and a rail and the Phantom beats them all.  If the accuracy is at or better than the Witness, I could not ask for more.  But on to my questions ~

Problem 1 - the magazine release is not smooth and quite often will not fully engage to hold the magazine and the result is the magazine falls out while firing.  Anyone else encounter?  How do I remove it?
Problem 2 - if the Phantom is like the other SP01's, can I get rid of the decocker and have a safety?  Where do I go to buy the conversion parts?
Problem 3 - the SA trigger is t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e.  Tho I switched my other 75's over to SA, I plan to keep this as a DA.  Is the sear/hammer removal basically the same as for the knock-off 75s?

OK.  Better git.  Thanks.  Glad to see such a detailed site!

L8R  ~  E Mont

Offline pikey

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
I looked at one last week and was impressed with the way it fit my hand.  But with the decocker no saftey that makes it a deal breaker.  I hope CZ comes out with a safety version.

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »
Held one at a gun show this weekend. 

I may have to have one of these.  Felt as good as my standard 75B in my hand.

A compact version would be an absolute must have.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline tekarra

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »
I saw one last weekend as well.  It felt good and looked good.  Now I am thinking ..........

Offline TheBronx

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 11:53:33 PM »
I own a 9mm SP-01 Tactical and I love it. It shoots great and I love how it fits in my hand.

I just came back from the gun range tonite and I tried the 9mm Phantom for the first time. Even though it shoots well, it felt too light for my taste and I'm not a fan of the polymer frame. Maybe I'm used to a steel frame pistol. If I had to choose between the SP-01 Tactical and the Phantom, I would choose the Tactical hands down. Well, that's my 2 cents worth !!!!

Offline montty

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 01:01:59 PM »
Great GUN I just buy one to start to training for the International Mach of IDPA in april 2010 in Costa Rica!!! great gun but I need some advises, i need holsters, mags etc where to buy in US ....
 any help please lmontalto@armascr.com

Thanks

Luis

anything