Author Topic: 550 Varmint 22-250 Feeding issues  (Read 2731 times)

71Chevy4-speed

550 Varmint 22-250 Feeding issues
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »
Gun is a 550 Varmint in 22-250 w/Nikon 6-18x40mm, with 170rds shot through it, I bought it to be a bench gun to hobby shoot and learn to reload for a new hobby.

I am having a little trouble with it feeding rounds, its rather inconsistent but on average about every 10th round the bolt with not close and when I open the bolt it does not extract the round do to being pushed in front of the claw, Sometimes the round will feed if I try it again and sometimes it won't, but will if I chamber a different round first and then try it again, apparently the round is pushed forward as it comes out of the mag and the rim pops up into the claw as the rim clears the mag(proper way it should feed) but the rounds that wont chamber are popping up in front of the claw as it clears the mag. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks

71Chevy4-speed

Re: 550 Varmint 22-250 Feeding issues
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
Anyone else with a 550 in 22-250 having chambering problems? Called CZ and talked to mike he suggested a magazine might fix it. Just wondering if this is a common problem? Doesn't look to me like a magazine would fix it because the rim is falling out of the claw as it clears the follower in the magazine or the nose of the next round below it and the face of the feed ramp, gunsmith in town said the claw looks good, looks to me that the bolt face is much larger than the cartridge diameter so that it won't snap hard up into the claw because nothing will push it up into the claw until it is nearly chambered, there is a point in the chambering process where it is push feeding the cartridge and most of the time the rim of the case comes up under the claw as it teeters over the feed ramp, but when it doesn't it pushes in front the claw and doesn't chamber. I'm going to try to magazine deal but im very disappointed in this, and would like to know if this is a common problem, if it is I would like to know if anyone has had it fixed otherwise I'm going to sell the gun, which I don't want to do but this is unacceptable and very disappointing.

Offline firecracker6

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »
I just got a 550 in 6.5 swede and am having the same problem.  I polished things up a bit and that helped some but it didn't fix it.  It looks to me like (and I seem to recall reading about this in a magazine somewhere) that the extractor is very stiff and isn't allowing the case rim to pop over that little hump on the side of the bolt face edge.  I've noticed that if I work the bolt smartly it feeds pretty very well.  However, I don't really know much about controlled round feed and mauser extractors so I'm not sure if the mag spring is supposed to push the case rim up into the bolt face or if the case rim is supposed to pop up in there while feeding; I think it's supposed to do it while feeding.   My problem could be the brass I'm using as it's that PRVI stuff and I'm not real sure about it's quality (it seems to depend who you ask).  I'm gonna leave a case in the chamber for a while and see if that loosens the extractor a bit.  If not I'm gonna find out if there's something I can do about the extractor or try different brass.  I've also noticed that if I just close the bolt after chambering a cartridge that didn't feed correctly the extractor will snap over the case rim.  I don't know if this will hurt anything or not; do you?

Offline wmgeorge

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:43 PM »
Anyone else with a 550 in 22-250 having chambering problems? Called CZ and talked to mike he suggested a magazine might fix it. Just wondering if this is a common problem? Doesn't look to me like a magazine would fix it because the rim is falling out of the claw as it clears the follower in the magazine or the nose of the next round below it and the face of the feed ramp, gunsmith in town said the claw looks good, looks to me that the bolt face is much larger than the cartridge diameter so that it won't snap hard up into the claw because nothing will push it up into the claw until it is nearly chambered, there is a point in the chambering process where it is push feeding the cartridge and most of the time the rim of the case comes up under the claw as it teeters over the feed ramp, but when it doesn't it pushes in front the claw and doesn't chamber. I'm going to try to magazine deal but im very disappointed in this, and would like to know if this is a common problem, if it is I would like to know if anyone has had it fixed otherwise I'm going to sell the gun, which I don't want to do but this is unacceptable and very disappointing.

#1 Dumb question, are these reloads?  I have reloaded for a number of years, pistol only however, and sometimes little things can make a round not feed.  It they are reloads, get some new name brand cartridges somewhere and try to see if they feed ok.

#2  Sometimes on my 223 CZ Varmint if I hesitate, or don't get the bolt moving just right it will do kind of like yours is doing.  I thought the claw was for removing the round from the chamber? Not feeding...
Retired
Master Electrician
Journeyman Pipefitter - Refrigeration
Small Home Metal fab/ Machine shop
Iowa - USA

Offline l2288

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:20:35 PM »
I just bought a CZ 550 Walnut Varmint in .308 . Cartridges will feed from the magazine but the bolt won't close. The bolt stops with about 1/8" of the brass casing showing but refuses to go any further. I fed rounds by hand and the rifle worked just fine. This happened with Federal, Winchester, and Rem factory ammo and with hand loads. Accuracy was good. I shot a .5" group with sandbags from a bench with reloads. Federal 150gr fmjbt factory ammo shot about .75". Only got to shoot about 15 rounds as the wind started gusting to about 35 mph.
I've got my rifle packed up and will send it back to CZ. This makes my eleventh CZ and the first one that didn't work right first time-everytime.

Offline William Chase

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 06:31:21 PM »
On my 550 FS, in 6.5x55 Swede, it seems the magazine spring is exceptionally strong, I can't get more than 4 rounds in, and if I load more than 3, I have feed issues. I am planning to let it set with as many rounds as I can force in there and see if that helps. I think Walt Sherrill, or maybe it was FEG, remarked of a similar situation that resolved itself after the spring relaxed a bit.

Bill
"The right to buy weapons is the right to be free". A.E van Vogt
CZ75 P-01   CZ52 (53)  S&W 642  
1903 M96B Carl Gustaf Swedish Mauser Remington 870 Wingmaster 12Ga
USPSA Area 4, Brazosland Pistoleros