Author Topic: VZ 58 Military Sporter vs. Tactical Sporter  (Read 7426 times)

Offline rado

VZ 58 Military Sporter vs. Tactical Sporter
« on: December 14, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »
HI,
does anyone know the difference between the Military and Tactical Sporter? I was thinking about buying a VZ 58 but which one is a better performer? which one is more durable and more accurante? Should i know something important before purchasing either one?
 I know that the tactical sporter comes with a 10 round magazine but since i reside in NJ that would be perfect (NJ = 15 rounds max).
Thanks

Offline caughtlikefire

Re: VZ 58 Military Sporter vs. Tactical Sporter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:59:02 PM »
the only difference is the stock.  military uses the plasticized wood, tactical uses the synthetic.  I planned on modifying my VZ so I just ordered the military version (I now have a railed handguard and Magpul CTR stock).  The stock that comes with the tactical version has a longer length of pull and looks a little uglier  ;D

there are complete rifles and kits that have receivers machined for single-stack mags (i.e., the plastic 10-rounders) but only the double stack (30 rd) are imported by CZ. you'll see these sold with either stock/forearm.  you can't use the 10-round mags in a CZ model since the magwell is not the same.

as far as the NJ mag limit, is NJ like Maryland where you can't buy or transfer a hi-cap in state, but you can buy one outside and legally bring it in and use it?  you could just buy one and have the dealer remove the mag before shipping it to your FFL.  then drive to PA or DE and buy some mags.

otherwise, just order a single-stack gun from one of the online vendors or Gunbroker.com

Offline salskov

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 09:22:02 PM »
HI,
does anyone know the difference between the Military and Tactical Sporter? I was thinking about buying a VZ 58 but which one is a better performer? which one is more durable and more accurante? Should i know something important before purchasing either one?
 I know that the tactical sporter comes with a 10 round magazine but since i reside in NJ that would be perfect (NJ = 15 rounds max).
Thanks

Gun Bling.

i.e. composite skeleton stocks.

I have the military version, with the inclusion of the standard issue folding stock, which

I purchased and installed afterwards.

And six 30 round mags.

It shoots very straight with iron sights.

salskov

BobC

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
I held a Military Sporter at my gun club and was shocked at how short the stock was for me.  I'm not an enormous man but I do have long arms.  The Tactical Sporter felt somewhat better, it's the one I'd buy (WILL buy when the stars align and my wife gives the blessing  :D).  The guy behind the counter and I got into an enthusiastic discussion about the VZ 58.  He had shot one in the desert with friends and was highly impressed.  A small crowd gathered around and the usual questions were asked..."Is that an AK?  Then what is it?  Is it heavy?  Is it accurate?"  I was pretty sure one guy was about to whip out his credit card, and at that point I walked away to buy some mag pouches.  Gotta love a good BS session at the gun sales counter!

Anyway, with my SKS, I slide the Tapco adjustable stock all the way out or to the second from the farthest notch to be comfortable, and by comparison the VZ 58 Military Sporter felt like it was made for a kid.

You tall, long-armed guys are not gonna like the Military Sporter...unless you are somehow able to adjust.

Offline jawel

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 05:09:27 AM »
can any of you guys tell me where to get the wooden stocks for the vz?

thanks

Offline slimjim

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »
Gunbroker or there are several wood furniture sets are on sale at the AK Forum!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 05:39:20 PM »
CZ-USA only carries the standard capacity VZ-58. Czechpoint has the neutered versions for sale. http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/  They also carry magazines, all the spre parts you can dream of, and accessories. Good people to deal with, have done so personally.

Offline jawel

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 01:00:14 AM »
thanks a lot

BobC

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:04:43 AM »
Czechpoint has the neutered versions for sale.

What do you mean by "neutered?"

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »
Meaning restricted capacity, 10 rounds only, for states that don't trust thier citizens.

BobC

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »
Oh, right.  But they also offer the 20 & 30 rd.