Author Topic: TANFOGLIO TA-90  (Read 4634 times)

Offline rocken3rd

TANFOGLIO TA-90
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:55:42 PM »
OK so im thinking of picking one of these up. But i dont know verry much about them. Can I swap slides with the newer witnesses/ can the safty be moved? also is there any smiths that work on these? The only crappy thing is there not on the califonia roster and I will be paying around 600 for the damn thing.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: TANFOGLIO TA-90
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 01:20:59 AM »
In general, the answers to most of your questions is No! 

As for Gunsmithing, that would depend upon the individual Gunsmith.  In general you would need to find a Pistolsmith familiar with the design and willing to work on it.  Good General Gunsmiths can be difficult to find.  EAA might be willing to service them, but the cost might be prohibitive.

$600????  That is an insane price unless you are talking about a specially built Race Gun or an Engraved and Gold Inlayed Show gun, and even then that's high.  I would not care how many spare magazines it came with for that price.  (For that price it better come with spare magazines!)  Most TA90/TZ75's go for between $250 and $400, depending upon which vintage.  The Series 88 and later Tanfoglio Pistols being the most desirable.  I own and operate two Series 88 TA90's (full size and compact) and they've been stellar performers, but still not worth $600 each!

Were I you, I would pass on that Pistol and go after a full sized 9mm Armscor MAP1 FS.  For $350 plus FFL, plus tax, you get a brand new Tanfoglio Pistol with the original 9mm/.40 frame.
http://www.armscor.com.ph/tanfoglio.htm

If the Armscor/Tanfoglio Pistols are not on the Kalifornia Approved List, a brand new 9mm EAA Witness would also be a much better deal.  I would think that EAA Witnesses would be on that list by now.

Another option would be a CZ75B or CZ85 and those should be on the California Roster.  You should not have to pay $600 for those, although you will probably be limited to 10 rounds.

Armscor/Tanfoglio Pistols are distributed by Centerfire Systems:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-MAP1FS.aspx

If I could get $600 for my older Full Size Series 88 TA90, I would probably treat myself to a new 9mm MAP1 FS, and still have some $$ left over.  Hmmmm?   (In WC Fields Voice)  Have I got a deal for you!   ;)

Then again, maybe not!  I'm too honest and I still like my full size Series 88 TA90.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:00:19 AM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline rocken3rd

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 04:43:18 AM »
In general, the answers to most of your questions is No! 

As for Gunsmithing, that would depend upon the individual Gunsmith.  In general you would need to find a Pistolsmith familiar with the design and willing to work on it.  Good General Gunsmiths can be difficult to find.  EAA might be willing to service them, but the cost might be prohibitive.

$600????  That is an insane price unless you are talking about a specially built Race Gun or an Engraved and Gold Inlayed Show gun, and even then that's high.  I would not care how many spare magazines it came with for that price.  (For that price it better come with spare magazines!)  Most TA90/TZ75's go for between $250 and $400, depending upon which vintage.  The Series 88 and later Tanfoglio Pistols being the most desirable.  I own and operate two Series 88 TA90's (full size and compact) and they've been stellar performers, but still not worth $600 each!

Were I you, I would pass on that Pistol and go after a full sized 9mm Armscor MAP1 FS.  For $350 plus FFL, plus tax, you get a brand new Tanfoglio Pistol with the original 9mm/.40 frame.
http://www.armscor.com.ph/tanfoglio.htm

If the Armscor/Tanfoglio Pistols are not on the Kalifornia Approved List, a brand new 9mm EAA Witness would also be a much better deal.  I would think that EAA Witnesses would be on that list by now.

Another option would be a CZ75B or CZ85 and those should be on the California Roster.  You should not have to pay $600 for those, although you will probably be limited to 10 rounds.

Armscor/Tanfoglio Pistols are distributed by Centerfire Systems:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-MAP1FS.aspx

If I could get $600 for my older Full Size Series 88 TA90, I would probably treat myself to a new 9mm MAP1 FS, and still have some $$ left over.  Hmmmm?   (In WC Fields Voice)  Have I got a deal for you!   ;)

Then again, maybe not!  I'm too honest and I still like my full size Series 88 TA90.  ;D

Thank you for the input. I want to build a match gun. I will pass on it. I want a witess the most but they even sell extremely high. An elite in 9mm just sold for 800 on calguns.net . 

Im thinking of geting an
SP-01 or a 75sa. I want an 85 combat the most but its not on the list. I hate the state I live in.

Ill check the list for the armscor imported models. I want somthing I can turn in to a 10mm.

Maybe Ill offer the guy less.

Again thank you for your imput
Paul

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:54:09 AM »
rocken3rd .....Welcome to the forum.  When you brought the10 mm into the mix you changed the playing field.  The TA-90 would be a very bad choice for a 10.   The steel Witness or Kimber would be a much better choice.  With the large frame Witness you can change calibers and keep the same frame which can save a lot of money.  I have built race gun out of basic Witness's and they work very well.  I have also shot 10 mm in matches.  It is always fun to watch the RO hunt for the stop plate.  R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline rocken3rd

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »
So what frame should I be looking at the only pistol that's on the lis is the armscor. They should be able to use witness slides correct?  Can that also work with 10mm?

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
rocken3rd .....Sorry I can't help you with the armscor.  R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline rocken3rd

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
Ok would anyone happen to know if armscor is importing the large frames or the standard? I know there tanfoglio frames. And EAA uses there frames I wonder if there the same?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:16:41 AM »
As Rod Slinger said, When you brought the 10mm into the mix, you changed the dynamics of this thread.  The ONLY gun that's going to do it for you is the EAA Witness in 10mm.  Money being an issue, find an online store like Buds Gunshop, Davidsons, or even Gunbroker's Auction Site, pay for the gun and have it shipped to a friendly FFL holder, whom you will have to pay a reasonable transfer fee, which should be agreed upon beforehand.  That should save you huge $$.

You might also consider a Witness Match in 10mm, if you can find one.  Race ready and cheaper than building, in some cases.

Found one in 10mm on Gunbroker, but this particular Auction is up soon. 
By the time you see it, it may be over.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123720924

Still, you need to go shopping.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:06:37 AM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Gary1911A1

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 12:11:37 PM »
Here's another one on GunBroker.com  I'm not in any way involved in it's sale.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123545867

Offline hardluk1

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:07:13 PM »
I don't know cali's problems but a bought a 40s&w witness match for $490 out the door in north carolina about 2 months ago and a barrel and spring or hone out the chamber and take spacer out of the clip for 10mm. Or just load the 40s&w long and hot.

anything