Author Topic: CZ V22 Upper Success!!!  (Read 12251 times)

Offline AbyssDncr

CZ V22 Upper Success!!!
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:22:02 PM »
A good friend traded me into a NIB CZ V22 Upper last fall, and it wasn't until recently that I got it out of the box & started playing with it.  Upgraded it with the aftermarket firing pin (because it seemed like a good thing to do at the time) and picked up 3 of the Black Dog 27 rd magazines from CaliberConversionSupply.

I only fired it about 20 rounds prior to this past weekend with the OE magazine - 1 jam in the 20.

Sunday was the club's first big match of the year (benchrest style), and I added a 25 yd. offhand rimfire money shoot to the agenda after the main competitions were over.  I was getting a few jams (stovepipes mostly) per magazine in practice, and about 5 jams in the 20 rounds we fired for the actual shoot.  When I stepped up to the line with it, the peanut gallery was chatting up "neat", "cool", and "I oughta get one of those".  By the time I finished clearing the action over and over again and completed my course of fire, the comments turned to "not me", "nevermind", and "I don't need another jammomatic 22".   :(

It was a little disheartening, and the guy who traded it to me was apologizing profusely.  Having just gone through a similar ordeal with my Kadet, I was determined to work out the bugs and already prepared to address the situation as it was very akin to the Kadet's shortcoming.

The Kadet ejected too low and empties bounced back into the action.  With the V22, the empties eject too high, hit the upper guide rail and bounce back into the action, causing the stovepipe.  This was particularly easy to spot cycling live ammo through the action.

The solution was basically reworking the ejector in the opposite manner of the Kadet.  The ejector contacts the rim too low on the shell making it eject upwards and like the Kadet, there is a rather narrow window through which the empties must fly.  Armed with my fine cut quarter inch safe sided file, I cut a new angle to the ejector so that it contacts the outside edge of the rim as high as possible.  The lower edge was cut away at about a 15 degree angle making the upper edge strike the rim, and the inside corner was angled back 5-10 degrees so the the outside edge of the rim is hit instead the ejector making contact with the outer third of the case. 

Overwhelming success!  I went through 3 boxes of Federal 40 gr. lead solids tonight without a single failure to eject - it was awesome. 

I did have a couple failures to feed when the hi-cap mags were loaded past 22 rounds.  The bolt just didn't make it back far enough to pick up the next round - too much tension on the stack of bullets to let the bolt past.  After that, it ran like a raped ape!!! 

I've got a cheapie Tru-Glo red dot on the upper & it's sitting on a spikes lower with a RRA 2-stage trigger, MIAD grip, & LMT 6 pos. stock.  My youngest daughter (turning 6 in 6 weeks) made contact with her intended target for the first time using this setup last night and was 5 for 5 picking off clay pigeons at 25 yds.  Needless to say she was thrilled.  My oldest (seven) rarely misses the 5" steel spinner at 50 yds using here hot pink Crickett, so the little one thought she was HOT STUFF when she was able to keep up with the pack. 

Well, jams and all, I won the offhand shoot on Sunday and can't wait until next month when I can shoot the match without jams and see if they change their tune.

Hope this helps some of the other V22 owners out there, as this is rapidly becoming my favorite range toy that I can afford to feed regularly - next to the Kadet, of course...   ;)

Happy shootin',
 8)

SP-01, P-01, CZ-75 Compact, CZ-75 Kadet, CZ-40B, CZ-83 Nickel, CZ-52, CZ-70, CZ-50, CZ 700 Sniper,  CZ 527 Kevlar, CZ 452 Ultra Lux, CZ 452 American 16", CZ 452 Scout, CZ V22 AR Upper, Sar K2

Offline donaz

Re: CZ V22 Upper Success!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:32:07 PM »
Did you have any fail to feed problems? Mine ejects great but with a full mag it won't feed all the time was wondering if it was weak ammo but havent had a chance to check yet.

Offline AbyssDncr

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:43:55 PM »
The only time I've had feed issues are when the BDM mags are loaded to full capacity.  If I load 20 instead of 25, no problems at all.  Never had an issue with the original mag...
SP-01, P-01, CZ-75 Compact, CZ-75 Kadet, CZ-40B, CZ-83 Nickel, CZ-52, CZ-70, CZ-50, CZ 700 Sniper,  CZ 527 Kevlar, CZ 452 Ultra Lux, CZ 452 American 16", CZ 452 Scout, CZ V22 AR Upper, Sar K2

Offline donaz

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:26:55 PM »
Thanks I have a origanl mag and if I put 3 in it works fine if I load more then 3 then it ejects fine but the new round is at a angle and wont go in. Maybe I need to try a new mag.

Offline AbyssDncr

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:35:05 AM »
Thanks I have a origanl mag and if I put 3 in it works fine if I load more then 3 then it ejects fine but the new round is at a angle and wont go in. Maybe I need to try a new mag.

Are you getting this phenomenon with all types of ammo?  Might be worth trying some other fodder.  I've found that the Federal Lightning 40 gr solids work wonderfully in just about all of my rimfire automatics FWIW...

Offline donaz

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »
that could be because it was a little better when I changed to a differant ammo I might try that this weekend

Offline donaz

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »
I couldnt find the federal ammo here but I tried some cci mini mags a little better would fire 4 or 5 in the mag no more then that and even sometimes on the last round it would jam like it was tring to load the round at a angle bending the bullet. I might try a differant mag

Offline donaz

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 09:55:24 PM »
Changed ammo and problem solved and its drives tacks. Thanks for the advice

Offline LeRoger

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
I have this dedicated upper with two original cast magazines for four years,. Nothing but frustration due to jams,cartridges firing when not in full battery. Someone on the net gave me some good info.The AR hammer spring is too heavy,slowing down the R/F bolt.
I removed the AR hammer pin,bent the ends of the spring up a little so it wouldn't drag and slid them inder the trigger pin instead of resting on top. This reduced the pressure significantly!
I replaced the bolt return springs with weaker ones.
I removed the rear CZ pin in the end cap that hits the buffer spring when the bolt slams to the rear.
WHAT A DIFFERANCE! Hardly no problems. Roundnose lead bullets are best and all velocities will perform well.When installing my original 223 uppper,all cases of various mfrs ie: Wolf, Tula,etc.would fire.
DRYFIRING may break the CZ firing pin. This V-22 is now a joy to shoot, and it IS ACCURATE! Busting clay birds at over 100 yards with a good scope is a reality.  ROD

Offline Billhoo

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
.....I removed the AR hammer pin,bent the ends of the spring up a little so it wouldn't drag and slid them inder the trigger pin instead of resting on top. This reduced the pressure significantly!

I replaced the bolt return springs with weaker ones.

I removed the rear CZ pin in the end cap that hits the buffer spring when the bolt slams to the rear.
WHAT A DIFFERANCE! Hardly no problems......ROD

Rod,

If you are still around... Where di you get the weaker bolt return springs?

-Bill_H