Author Topic: Mag ejection, involuntary;  (Read 790 times)

Offline smallshot13

Mag ejection, involuntary;
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:41:31 PM »
It seems this old problem is back.  I have a new, stock, 08 97B purchased from Angus, that has worked very well at the range, until recently.  It has now developed the much discussed problem of partial mag ejection causing misfeeds, every two or three rounds, but randomly.  Some times I can get in a 5 shot string without it happening.  I have removed the mag eject, attempted to spread the spring, examined the catch and the receiving slot in the mags, and note the catch only engages a small portion of the rear of the slot, and then not very deeply.  I do get a resounding click when it engages, so I know it is well seated. This is now so bad that when I release the slide, the mag comes loose.

I believe that the mag release catch has worn, with less than 2k rounds through it.  I am following some of the old advice on potential home fixes, the latest being adding a slight outward bend to the top of the mag slot that engages the slot.  That seems to have fixed the problem of the mag ejecting when I release the slide.   If that does not work, I am out of ideas other than to send it back to CZ USA for repair.  I would have thought that CZ would have resolved this problem with the mag release catch by now.  I read that the fix CZ does is add material to the catch, re-contour it and harden it.  Any advice on something else I can do, other than sending it back?  (I am not a machinist, don't weld, but know how to take the thing down to the screws)  I could call CZ and request a new mag catch and replace it myself I suppose.  If I do that, I could try squaring up the catch where I think it has worn, but I don't want to do that with the original until I have a replacement?  Is that worth it, or should I just give it up and send it in?

Offline dusty10

Re: Mag ejection, involuntary;
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:44:06 AM »
I'd just send it in.  It's pretty new so I'm sure they would be happy to fix it.  Best Regards, Dusty
"When people are universally ignorant and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."   Samuel Adams