Author Topic: Worse Than A Dame In A Shoestore......  (Read 2880 times)

Jack Straw

Worse Than A Dame In A Shoestore......
« on: May 13, 2009, 09:41:24 PM »
 ??? I'm officially annoyed with myself.

I have my 97 all set up the way I want it and the final step is changing the finish.  I'd made up my mind to have the pistol electroless nickel plated.   Well, that's simple enough eh?   Nope, today I started thinking about two tone with the slide left black and the frame nickel.  Then I thought about the slide nickel and the frame black.

This is a slippery slope I tell ya.  A little more thought and I remembered a nice Springfield 1911 I owned a few years back that was a very cool looking olive drab with black controls.......hmmmmm.......I'm generally not a fan of "painted" guns but that O.D. was really sharp. 

The madness continued when I thought about a shooting buddy who has a Witness done up in desert sand on the frame and black up top.

I don't know, maybe I'll sell it and buy a Glock......just kidding.

Offline dusty10

Re: Worse Than A Dame In A Shoestore......
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »
How about full camo?   :D  ........just kidding  ::)
"When people are universally ignorant and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."   Samuel Adams

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:20:11 AM »
I'm voting Slide in Black, Frame in Matte Nickel, and Controls Black.

Your sight picture will appreciate the Black Slide, the Nickel on the Frame will resist handling wear.
Controls to be left Black for Contrast and easier recognition.

Frame Color Options
OD Green on the Frame is another possibility, if you want the GI look, but only if you live in an area where there is Forested area.  If you are in a Desert Area, then the Desert Sand color on the Frame makes more sense.  Trouble is, your buddies Witness is set up that way and you probably want something else to be different.  How about matte Robin's Egg Blue on the Frame?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:31:17 AM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline dusty10

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:07:13 AM »
Yeah, now you're talking.  Robin Egg blue frame, hot pink controls, with lime green grips and a black slide.  That would be different.  :D :D :D
"When people are universally ignorant and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."   Samuel Adams

Offline Gary1911A1

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:27:07 AM »
I would go NP3 for looks and rust resistance except for the sights of course, but as my avatar suggest I like the looks and function of a "Vice" pistol.

Jack Straw

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:03:59 AM »
Jeeeeeze, I wish you guys could make up your minds.   This is serious business.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
Jack, Jack, Jack,

What are we going to do with you???  I have several 1911's; solid black, solid stainless, blue slide/hardchrome frame, and black frame/stainless slide.  So I have all the typical color combos.  Of these, and it's a hard pick, but I "think" I like the black frame/stainless slide best.  I'm not into greens, tans, pinks (somehow I can see you with a pink 97 :) )  so I can't help you there.  (BTW, check your PM).  Here's a pic of my Norinco with a stainless slide:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:45:10 PM by schmeky »

Jack Straw

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:09:40 PM »
jwc007 suggested Robin's Egg Blue.....sorry that's way too United Nations for me.

Olive drab and desert tan are very nice but just a little bit "tactical wannabe" besides my sweetheart said tan "will make your butt look too big".   

See what I'm up against here?   I just want a sharp lookin' pistola and all of a sudden I find myself pondering not mere aesthetic values but wardrobe considerations, political ramifications, maybe even "gender issues".

If I could have purchased a glossy blue 97 here in the P.R.C. (Peoples Republic of California) I would not be having this existential crisis.  Glossy blue would have kept me happy, honest.

Now some may suggest having the weapon refinished in a nice blue but, alas, that is way too expensive and I'd be without the darn thing for MONTHS. 

To those wags who have suggested pink........I have no comment.

Anyway, tomorrow I pick up my CZ 75 from 10 day jail and perhaps that development will distract me.

Offline KFD147

• Hammer Down Sports
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »
I saw an interesting SP-01 that was hard chromed with the side flats mirror polished. That would look really nice on a 97b.

Jason 8)
www.hammerdownsports.com
Copperas Cove Pistol Club Member
Temple Gun Club Pistol Match Director
Capital Area Practical Shooters (CAPS) Member
USPSA Member
CZ-USA supporter

Offline CSM CZ Shooter

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
Great...now I'm in trouble...I read your post out loud (LOL) and My daughter wants her new pistol in Pink.....thanks!
CSM, USA (RET)
CZ 75 Pre-B, PCR, SP-01 Shadow, P-06, CZ 97

Offline schmeky

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 03:40:30 PM »
You're gonna' love the 75, I have a 75/9mm, 75/40, and SP-01.  Might as well get another comp hammer on order.  I sent my Les Baer 1911 off for hard chrome a couple weeks ago to Accurate Plating and Weaponry in Alabama.  Even though I sent a detailed letter, they still called me a few days after they received the pistol to absolutely verify what I wanted.  They quoted a 3 week turn around, which is very good, if they live up to it. 

Here's who I have used in the past for refinishing and how I rate them:  Fords in Florida - not recommended; Drakes Gunworks/Ohio - highly recommended; Mahovsky's Meta-Life/Pennsylvannia - not recommended; Walter Birdsong/Mississippi - recommended; Tripp's Research/Texas - highly recommended (but no longer plating), Accurate Plating and Weaponry/Alabama - don't know yet.

Jack Straw

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
schmeky,

I'm expecting a package from Angus today......unfortunately the comp hammer will not be in stock for 3 or 4 weeks according to Rob.   

I'm going with the same s.a. only conversion as with my 97 but I haven't made a decision on the sights yet.  I'll experiment with the Burris Fastfire but that will likely end up on my Advantage Arms 1911 22 conversion.

The 75 will get refinished as well but that's a sensitive subject with Mr. Indecisive here.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »
Jack,

If the comp hammer is on B.O. (this has happened to me in the past too), you can call CZ-USA and see if they have a CZ Shadow hammer.  It's almost the same as the comp hammer, just needs a minimal amount of stoning.  If you're patient, the comp hammer is obviously worth the wait.

Seriously consider the CZ Custom Shop Tactical sights.  I promise, you'll love them.   

Offline SD JOE

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:57:22 PM »
Jack,

Did you buy the 75B?  I am selling mine to a friend.  I ordered a 75 SA that should be delivered tomorrow.  I had the custom shop work on it before it was shipped.  How come you opted for the 75B if you wanted SA?  I am sure what ever you do to it will come out fantastic.

Joe

Offline pitbull

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »
Jack,

Stick to your guns and go with the nickel plated 97. Also like schmeky's idea. Be strong! I would wait for the comp hammer to come in and go with that.

Good Luck

anything