Author Topic: Here's My Favorite CZ - My 97B  (Read 2018 times)

Offline PHKsCZ

Here's My Favorite CZ - My 97B
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:37:03 PM »
I'd thought I share what I did to my 97B and get your feedback.

I installed the competition hammer with 13 lb main spring, front fiber optic sight with accompanying rear tactical sight, Hogue rubber grips, SS guide rod and heavier recoil spring. Next, will be conversion to SAO with adjusted trigger to minimize the pre-travel. I think I will keep the FPB, however - the takeup from the FPB to the break isn't too bad, but from a DA trigger it is.

I also added my very own flair to the already beautiful 97B. I attached some images to share my 97B with you guys - please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline schmeky

Re: Here's My Favorite CZ - My 97B
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »
Paul,

Like we say in the hot muggy south, Day-um'.  Man I like that.  I've always been a big fan of 2-tone semi-autos.  Never had a 2-tone CZ, but dang it, you've got me to thinkin'.  I love yours, but is that a bare metal slide, or is it plated?

Details please.

Oh yea, ain't those comp hammers, Custom Shop sights, and Hogue grips the shiz'nit?  You done good Grasshopper 8)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 01:11:54 PM by schmeky »

Offline CSM CZ Shooter

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
Wow...very SWEET!

I am going to guess hand polished slide, but can't wait to read the truth.
CSM, USA (RET)
CZ 75 Pre-B, PCR, SP-01 Shadow, P-06, CZ 97

Offline dusty10

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
Man that is sharp.  Makes me want to start tinkering with my 97.  Great job...Dusty
"When people are universally ignorant and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."   Samuel Adams

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 12:05:05 AM »
Very very Nice!  What finishes are on the Slide and Frame?  Duracoat?
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

Offline PHKsCZ

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 03:08:23 AM »
Thanks guys for the compliments - I'm really liking it as well. I originally did this to my P01 and decided that my 97B needed the same treatment :)

The finish is bear metal but has 'brush' marks on it and looks very much like brushed stainless steel. Its difficult to see in my crappy pictures but the 'brush' marks should hold oil to it better than a polished finish. You old machinists will remember tapping non-mating surfaces of the hardened steel mills to hold oil and prevent corrosion - its a similar type of approach to help keep the oil on the surface. My P01 has had this finish for almost two months and there are no signs of rusting yet, but time will tell.

If there are signs of rusting then I'm going to have the slides plated, but I really like the brushed 'stainless' look against the polycoat sections - gives a nice contrast IMO.

Does anyone know if I send the slide as is if the nickel coating can be selectively added to only the bare metal? Or will the surface prep destroy the polycoat that's on there? If I see signs of rusting I'm going to call around see about this. However, I'm fairly confident that the oil will keep the rust at bay. Polished barrels seem to stay free of rust/corrosion, although they are less handled by sweaty hands than the slide.

Now that I've shown you my personalized 97B show me yours!  ;D

Offline badge38

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 05:49:27 AM »
 Oh yeah,  CADiver !  Great looking pistol .......... and you should start you own TV spot .... "Pimp My Pistol" !    8)
Sig Sauer 225, Equinox 220
Ed Brown  Massad Ayoob 1911
S&W M&P 9c, 642 Airweight

Jack Straw

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 11:56:16 AM »
I've had quite a lot of experience with firearms having bare metal outer contact surfaces and I've observed that if the piece is mainly a sporting/range weapon carefully wiped down after handling and then stored with a little common sense it will almost certainly never rust.

The main caveat here seems to be the ph balance of the owner.....yeah I know it sounds weird but some people have skin oils and perspiration that are very corrosive and some don't.    I'm fortunate that way, my grubby paws seem chemically inert but many people aren't so lucky.   I had a young fellow working in my shop for a while who left rusty looking fingerprints on every darned piece of metal he touched.   Not even stainless steel could escape his magic caress.

On the subject of plating your slide;  A brush finish hard chrome then laying in a black epoxy base paint with a quick solvent wipe down will get the same look you have now with corrosion resistance.   You could do the same with nickel but since nickel is a considerably "warmer" color you may want to stick with the cooler, more bluish look of hard chrome.  Send a photo of your current slide to a few platers and get their take.

If you don't see any rust problems I'd leave it the way it is understanding that resale of the piece may present a challenge.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »
Paul,

A bare steel gun scares the crap outta' me.  I live in a humid climate, and my perspiration is like Kryptonite to Superman.  I can rust bare metal with a touch (I must be one of those X-men).  So for me, bare metal is not an option, but it may work fine for you. 

If it were mine, and it certainly isn't, I would look into nickel, hard chrome, or maybe even an epoxy-resin-ceramic spray on coating, Duracoat, Guncoat, etc.  One guy on another site swears that VHT spray on coatings, with a short oven curing time, are excellent for firearms, and come in many colors.  I haven't tried it, but I may.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/engineenamel.html

Offline etch

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 10:20:44 AM »
polish and plate or just polish the barrel bushing , recoil spring housing , the hammer  , slide stop and safety and you will have one 'son of a gun ' pistol .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:22:20 AM by etch »

Offline PHKsCZ

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 03:09:38 AM »
I'm not one to shy away from experimenting a little bit ... so far no rust or any other signs of corrosion. I will say, however, that this finish does show micro scratches much easier than the polycoat finish - even with the brush marks on it.

Offline pitbull

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 01:12:54 PM »
Real sweet Paul.

anything