Author Topic: 97BD vs competition  (Read 6307 times)

Offline BarnacleBill1

97BD vs competition
« on: October 12, 2009, 07:33:48 PM »
I'm looking at adding a "modern" .45 ACP to my arsenal.

My favorite handgun of all time is my CZ P-01.  It is pretty much perfect, and I don't shoot anything better.  It is also utterly bulletproof reliable.

So, what better .45 ACP than the P-01's big brother?  Unfortunately, 97 really isn't, because to date the 97 doesn't seem to do alloy frame.

So, I'm looking at the whole field of .45's against the following spec...

• DA/SA Decocker, DAO or "Light DAO"
    First shot trigger pull >6 lbs & subjectively "DAish" (e.g. stock Glock trigger is too light, "NY-1" OK)
    Manual safety OK as long as I can safely ignore it (e.g. a Beretta 92 FS)
    Weight (empty) not to exceed 39 oz (GI M1911)
    Barrel length 4.25-5" (Commander to M1911)
    Magazine capacity at least 10 rounds
    Tritium night sights (can be aftermarket but factory preferred)

The purpose of the weapon is self-defense in contexts other than concealed carry, so suitablity for concealment or competition is not a factor.  However, I'm not looking for a "crew-served handgun" (e.g. HK MK23).  I had occasion to wear a GI M1911A1 on my hip during a loooong day working for my Uncle Sam, and it gets heavier than you think after the first 8 hours ;)

So, what do folks that have experience with the 97BD think about it vs the likes of...

Beretta PX4 Storm .45ACP SD
FNP-45
Glock 21
HK45
Ruger P345
SIG P220 Combat
SIG P250 Fullsize
S&W M&P
Springfield Armory XD 45 ACP
Taurus PT 24/7 OSS

Offline hakr

Re: 97BD vs competition
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »
Why would you want an alloy frame when you can get a steel frame? 

Offline BarnacleBill1

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »
Why would you want an alloy frame when you can get a steel frame?  

Weight

However, the grip feel of a metal frame with rubber panels (e.g. my P-01) is far superior to most combat tupperware, so alloy is "just right".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:40:50 PM by BarnacleBill1 »

Offline schmeky

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
BarnacleBill1,

If you're looking for a bigger version of your P-01, the 97 ain't it.  All the guns in your list are alloy or polymer framed; obviously the 97 is steel.  All your choices are excellent and I own a Sig P-220, which is the one that will "feel" most like your P-01, i.e. alloy frame, medium grip size, reliable and accurate.

You could conceal carry the P-220 and the weight is acceptable, not the 97; it's large and heavy, especially with a full 10 round mag and one in the pipe.

Just my .02 cents.

Offline dusty10

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:57 PM »
Your list is all good.  I own a few on that list but I just got a Dan Wesson CBOB.  Wish I had done that first and saved all that money on the other guns.  ::)
"When people are universally ignorant and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."   Samuel Adams

Offline bang bang

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »
I'm looking at adding a "modern" .45 ACP to my arsenal.

My favorite handgun of all time is my CZ P-01.  It is pretty much perfect, and I don't shoot anything better.  It is also utterly bulletproof reliable.

So, what better .45 ACP than the P-01's big brother?  Unfortunately, 97 really isn't, because to date the 97 doesn't seem to do alloy frame.

So, I'm looking at the whole field of .45's against the following spec...

• DA/SA Decocker, DAO or "Light DAO"
    First shot trigger pull >6 lbs & subjectively "DAish" (e.g. stock Glock trigger is too light, "NY-1" OK)
    Manual safety OK as long as I can safely ignore it (e.g. a Beretta 92 FS)
    Weight (empty) not to exceed 39 oz (GI M1911)
    Barrel length 4.25-5" (Commander to M1911)
    Magazine capacity at least 10 rounds
    Tritium night sights (can be aftermarket but factory preferred)

The purpose of the weapon is self-defense in contexts other than concealed carry, so suitablity for concealment or competition is not a factor.  However, I'm not looking for a "crew-served handgun" (e.g. HK MK23).  I had occasion to wear a GI M1911A1 on my hip during a loooong day working for my Uncle Sam, and it gets heavier than you think after the first 8 hours ;)

So, what do folks that have experience with the 97BD think about it vs the likes of...

Beretta PX4 Storm .45ACP SD
FNP-45
Glock 21 i dont shoot glocks well.  i have a G17 and had a G21.  they are good guns, but i found others that i can shoot better.
HK45
Ruger P345
SIG P220 Combat i like my P220.  since they were designed around the 45 HP, i figured get a gun for it instead of one modified for it.
SIG P250 Fullsize
S&W M&P
Springfield Armory XD 45 ACP  i like my XD tactical. I wasnt impressed with the tirgger at first but it smoothed up in one range session.  i shoot it alot more accurate then my Glocks too.
Taurus PT 24/7 OSS

if youre interested, take a look at the Beretta Cougar in 45acp. 

Offline BarnacleBill1

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:19:32 AM »

Doesn't look like they make those anymore.  Apparently Beretta owns Stoeger and makes the Cougar in Turkey under the Stoeger brand name, but only in 9mm & .40 S&W.

Offline BarnacleBill1

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 07:21:08 AM »
BarnacleBill1,

If you're looking for a bigger version of your P-01, the 97 ain't it.  All the guns in your list are alloy or polymer framed; obviously the 97 is steel.  All your choices are excellent and I own a Sig P-220, which is the one that will "feel" most like your P-01, i.e. alloy frame, medium grip size, reliable and accurate.

You could conceal carry the P-220 and the weight is acceptable, not the 97; it's large and heavy, especially with a full 10 round mag and one in the pipe.

Just my .02 cents.

That's what I was afraid of after handly an EEA Witness in .45 ACP - didn't feel much like my P-01.

Offline BarnacleBill1

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 07:26:12 AM »
Your list is all good.  I own a few on that list but I just got a Dan Wesson CBOB.  Wish I had done that first and saved all that money on the other guns.  ::)

That's an M1911, though.  I'm sure it's a fine one within its type, but not really what I'm looking for on this buy - double action, etc...

Offline Gary1911A1

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 12:40:22 PM »
For a Light Weight CZ97 I would think the EEA Witness with the polymer frame would be the closest to what you want. I know the Witness not on your list and for what is on your list I can recommend the Sig 220 r HK45.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »

Doesn't look like they make those anymore.  Apparently Beretta owns Stoeger and makes the Cougar in Turkey under the Stoeger brand name, but only in 9mm & .40 S&W.

if youre open to used, there are a couple on GB.  i didnt look at the other sites tho.

Offline BarnacleBill1

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 07:01:18 PM »
For a Light Weight CZ97 I would think the EEA Witness with the polymer frame would be the closest to what you want. I know the Witness not on your list and for what is on your list I can recommend the Sig 220 r HK45.

I followed up on this suggestion by researching the Witness polymer... unfortunately it has the original CZ75 style of DA/SA with no decocker.  That would be OK if I wanted to keep it C&L, but since I want to keep it hammer down on a loaded chamber it's not so good.

While researching that, though, I ran accross a reminder of the Baby Eagle / Jerico (i.e. Israeli CZ clone).  Apparently Magnum Research used to import them in polymer frame, but the current importer is Charles Daly & it looks like they are only importing the steel frame.

Offline BarnacleBill1

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »

if youre open to used, there are a couple on GB.  i didnt look at the other sites tho.

I'd go used if I really had to have something not made/imported anymore, or if it was a big money issue, but otherwise I fear it's like what my Dad used to say about used cars ("buying somebody else's problems"). 

Offline Gary in Pennsylvania

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »
I can carry my XD-45 tactical (full size 5-incher) allllll day in it's BlackHawk! CQC Serpa paddle setup.  Fits tight against my body and DOESN'T tug on my pants/belt.

I recommend the XD to ANYONE.

I'll be buying an XD9SC this Wednesday and a Serpa as well!
Gary in Pennsylvania
CZ-75D PCR Compact

Offline the perfesser

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 06:04:20 PM »
+1 on Gary in Pennsylvania's post.  I have a CZ97B (not BD) and an XD .45ACP Tactical (5" barrel).  Like them both lots; both shoot better than I can.  The XD has a loaded chamber indicator, just like the CZ97B, and a grip safety in addition.  It's a relatively light pistol too.