Author Topic: Custom shop rubber mag base plate covers  (Read 3399 times)

Offline maturin

Custom shop rubber mag base plate covers
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:36:43 AM »
At the gun shop the other day agonizing over new purchase -- with the compact 75b, the straight mag base plate cuts into my pinky (one of the reasons I'm going to sell my Sig P6). However, with the P-01, which apparently has the same grip length between the bottom of the trigger guard and the mag base plate, the base plate cover made the grip far more comfortable.

So the question is, will fitting the rubber base plates available from the custom shop on the compact 75 give me the same feel as the grip of the P-01? From what I read, the rubber base plates should fit the fourteen-round magazines, but not the ten round -- I guess those are for states like Calif., etc.. so I don't forsee that being a problem.

Thanks. As you see, I have insomnia in the wee hours of this morning and so am cluttering up the board with lots of qs. Sorry, more to come :)

Offline E.Shell

Re: Custom shop rubber mag base plate covers
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 10:38:08 AM »
The rubber base plate is often included with standard P-01 magazines. Mine came with them, but magazines bought from CZ later had the steel base plate.

The rubber does improve the feel for me, and doesn't force the hand up, just keeps the little finger from being pinched. CZ base plates are $9.00, and Beretta sells the same thing for about $4.00.

Another option is to use full size (16-17 round) magazines, and pick up a few of the SP-01 base plates. When these base plates are assembled to the regular full size magazine, it will fit the compact and act as an extended finger rest while providing a few extra rounds.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

http://www.CentralVirginiaTactical.com/; Long Range Precision

Offline cjochetz

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »
Another option is to take the standard metal baseplate and bend the nose of it down slightly so that your pinky has a ledge to ride on. I've done it to all of mine; 30 seconds and a bench vise.

Offline derrelw

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:43:49 AM »
The rubber base plate is often included with standard P-01 magazines. Mine came with them, but magazines bought from CZ later had the steel base plate.

The rubber does improve the feel for me, and doesn't force the hand up, just keeps the little finger from being pinched. CZ base plates are $9.00, and Beretta sells the same thing for about $4.00.

Another option is to use full size (16-17 round) magazines, and pick up a few of the SP-01 base plates. When these base plates are assembled to the regular full size magazine, it will fit the compact and act as an extended finger rest while providing a few extra rounds.

Will the Beretta base plates fit the factory CZ 16 round mags?

Offline Dorkfish

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:28:27 PM »
If you folks will help me flood X-Grip with email requests for mag adapters for the 75 Compacts, perhaps we'll finally get them!
I know the SP-01 mags and the SP-01 Phantom mags will lock in and feed in our 75 Compacts, so I see room for encouragement to get X-Grip on the ball with those adapters.

I wound up picking up 2 of the newer 75 Compact/P-01 magazines that have the updated bases.  Glad I did, I agree the lipped bottom hurts the pinky finger, but it's purpose built as the Euro specs were not supposed to allow for drop-mags, they were supposed to be pulled by hand.

anything