Author Topic: CZ P01 versus PCR  (Read 2747 times)

Offline amygdala

CZ P01 versus PCR
« on: November 16, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »
I have heard rave reviews about the CZ PCR for carry.  How is the
CZ PCR different from the CZ P01?  Which would be preferable for
carry?  How do these two relate to each other?  Is one the precursor
of the other?

Offline E.Shell

Re: CZ P01 versus PCR
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
Can't answer your history question, but they are nearly identical in all aspects expect the dust cover configuration in the front.

Both are compact decocker models with alloy frames. The main difference lies in the front end of the frame: The PCR is streamlined, while the P-01 has a squared off rail intended to facilitate mounting of a light or laser.

Many folks CCW the P-01 comfortably, although I consider it to be about as large a handgun as I can easily conceal in normal clothing.

I carry my P-01 IWB at 4 o'clock and the small amount of additional bulk in the squared off rail area causes interference with removing my wallet from my right hip pocket. The corner of the gun catches the top of my wallet through the pants. I have not tried one, but I believe that a PCR would solve this minor problem.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

http://www.CentralVirginiaTactical.com/; Long Range Precision

Offline higgite

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »
Do a search for "P01 PCR" (without quotation marks) and you'll get a 5 page list of posts comparing the two models.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:48:10 AM »
I carry both, and am happy with both, really. They are great pistols, and will likely outlast me.

Offline amygdala

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:41:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  From what I've learned, it seems that the PCR might
be preferable for concealed carry (CC), unless the rails are important.  Should a
particular year be favored?  Do PCRs have good years and bad?  Are they getting
better?  Is 2009 better than 2008? 
By way of personal background:  I just got my first CZ, the 75 SP-01 Phantom. 
It fits my hand perfectly, points naturally, and doesn't tire me.  For the
next acquisition, I'd like to retain the best of the Phantom in a smaller CZ for CC. 
The Phantom has a light rail.  If I wanted a light, which I don't, I would use it
with the Phantom, not the CC pistol.
Since the smaller pistols (P01 or PCR) weight about the same as the Phantom,
I'm guessing that the perceived kick might be greater due to the smaller grip
surface.  Has anyone compared? 

Offline RAMI

• VIETNAM VET
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:05:14 PM »
I have heard rave reviews about the CZ PCR for carry.  How is the
CZ PCR different from the CZ P01?  Which would be preferable for
carry?  How do these two relate to each other?  Is one the precursor
of the other?

I much prefer the P-01.  First, frame is forged, not cast like the PCR.  Plus, the P-01 went through far more severe testing to get NATO stock number.  The PCR came out before the P-01 and I guess it was not tough enough for NATO since CZ had to make up a new model (P-01) for NATO testing.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:07:08 PM by RAMI »
"REVOLUTIONARY WAR IS AN ANTITOXIN WHICH NOT ONLY ELIMINATES THE EMEMY'S POISON BUT ALSO ALLOWS US TO PURGE OUR OWN FILTH."

Offline MJZZZ

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »
I have both the P-01 and PCR and have nothing against the P-01 except it's thicker than the PCR because of the light rail. I had loaned the PCR to my daughter until she decided which gun she wanted to buy and got it back 2 weeks ago. I prefer to the carry the PCR over my P-01, and it has replaced my 9mm Rami BD as my everyday carry. I don't see myself switching carry guns ever again. Now I need to find some decently priced Crimson Trace grips.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Offline dontshakepandas

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:35 PM »
http://shooters-resource.com/
I got mine there. Good price, fast shipping.

anything