Author Topic: So What's the Point ??  (Read 6281 times)

Offline the perfesser

Re: So What's the Point ??
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 11:10:44 PM »
schmecky,

Sorry, I did not read your 30 November post carefully enough to see that you were posing further questions.  It is probably just as well.  My one experience holding an FNP-45 was a quick subjective "take" on the situation re its "blockiness."  As I later admitted, I really should shut up until I compare the XD .45, CZ 97B, and FNP-45 all at once.  So I was going to be of no help to you.  Happy you got informed advice from other posters...

In fact, the roles are now reversed.  Now that you've taken the plunge, I am anxiously awaiting your first posts on the new arrival!

And for CSM CZ Shooter -- thanks for the support on the Glock 36.  I continue to marvel at its handling, recoil-wise, and with half the weight of a CZ 97B.  And as many available rounds, with the extended grip, as a single-stack 1911.

Jack Straw

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 11:40:58 PM »
OK, enough of this nonsense.  You've owned enough .45 autoloaders.   Get a Smith & Wesson 625-2 5" bbl, buy some .45 Auto Rim brass, use the same charge weights and bullets you have on hand.   A quick 30 minute spring change and minor polish on the innards will give a trigger to die for and the heavy underlug barrel will control recoil better than anything less than a compensated auto.

I love my 97 but if I could only have one .45 A.C.P. handgun it would probably be a 625 5".

A fringe benefit is you don't have to stoop to pick up your brass.......important to us geezers.  ;D ;D

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
Or.........you could try a new or used all steel .45 Witness, which may share your 97's magazines.
I have two.........and I'm not sharing!  ;D

1992 vintage and 2004 vintage .45 Witnesses

I also recommend a Taurus 24/7 in .45 ACP, either standard DS or OSS DS models.  I own and operate a .45 24/7 OSS DS.  Takes a little bit to get used to, but not very long. 

The new Taurus PT845 seems nice too.  Have fired one and it shot very well.

Springfield XD45's are very nice too, and also have good ergonomics.

I love my 97 but if I could only have one .45 A.C.P. handgun it would probably be a 625 5".

In the end there can be only one?  Thought that rule was reserved for immortals!  Such limiting beliefs!  Variety is the spice of life, so they say. 

However, there is also the saying, "Beware of the Man who only owns one gun.  Chances are, he will be proficient with it!"

Still, if you can train often with what you like, you should be able to perform well with all that you have.  Focus on one gun at a time and learn it really really well !

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:35:00 AM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline schmeky

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 10:05:04 AM »
Mr Straw,

I am a long time revolver shooter.  I still have a mint early Model 29 with a 6.5" barrel, (yes, I said 6.5" barrel), pinned and recessed.  Have one of the first 586 series revolvers (fantastic weapon).  Never owned a .45ACP revolver.  Just don't want to fool with the half-moon clips, and besides, in my opinion, the .45ACP is an auto cartridge.  I fully respect your views though.

jwc007,

I've had 3 Witness series pistols, an Elite Match, and 2 standard steel Witness'.  I like them a lot, but I could never get the accuracy out of the Witness' at 25 yards that I prefer.  I can shoot better with a CZ, don't ask why, I don't know.  The 97 grip is ergonomic nirvana for me.  The CZ-75 series and the Witness' are a little small for my hand size, but certainly acceptable.  I do want a Taurus 24/7 OSS and let one slip away the other day.  Found a NIB OSS for $370.00 shipped, I could kick my _ss for procrastinating.  It's gone of course.  But I'm still on the lookout.

I'll post pics and my range report on the FNP-45.  I look forward to fondling it.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 03:17:23 PM »
pepsiman52,

Picked up the new FNP 45 today.  All I can say right now is, out of the box, I'm blown away.  Impeccable level of workmanship and the out of the box SA trigger is really sweet!!!  Plan on shooting it this weekend.  My 97 is still my #1, and probably always will be, but I can see this FNP 45 getting near the top of my heap.  

The proof is in the shooting.

You might have been right.

Offline pepsiman52

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »
Schmeky, I'm glad you had a favorable first impression of the FNP 45.  I'm always a little hesitant to give opinion/advice when it comes to firearms - everyone has their own wants and needs.  I have one of the early stainless FNP-45's purchased before they started selling the USG model (mine has a decocker only - no safety).  If the USG is anything like mine (and it should be) you will be very pleased at the range.  At 25 yards mine was so accurate it was scary.

John
NRA Life Member
"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Offline OldGreg

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 12:57:13 AM »
Nice!  I will admit your a brave man to order one without ever holding it, so i'm glad you are impressed thus far!  I though it felt great in my tiny hands, and i actually wanted one before the 97B, BUT.. i came across a used 97B, held that... then told myself i had to get it (my 1st .45!)  The FNP-45 went on the back burner, but it's still on my list of must-have's (i gotta have a poly .45 -right!?).
P-07
SP-01 Phantom
97B

Offline schmeky

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 10:02:59 AM »
I don't want to wander off into another brand of pistol while on the CZ Forum.  I'll make this last comment and move on.  I was taking a big risk buying a CZ-97 w/o ever having seen one.  One of the best gun buying decisions I have ever made.

I took another leap of faith buying the FNP.  The FNP is the very first poly gun I have ever actually liked, right out of the box.  It's not going to knock my 97 or my favorite 1911's off the mountain, but I think it's going to earn a spot close to the top.  Time will tell.

The bottom line is, if you like the 97, there is a really good chance you will like the FNP-45 as well.

Offline dusty10

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »
You'll be back. Nothing else compares to CZ's. Dusty  ;D
"When people are universally ignorant and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."   Samuel Adams

Offline schmeky

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »
Dusty,

I never left.  I was cleaning my dirty 97 this evening, and while the FNP is a fine weapon, I'm still a 97-a-holic O0

Offline OldGreg

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 12:19:13 AM »
Hey Schmeky.. throw us a review in the GENERAL FIREARMS- DISCUSSION section when you get bored or something.  ;D
P-07
SP-01 Phantom
97B

Offline dusty10

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:16 AM »
Dusty,

I never left.  I was cleaning my dirty 97 this evening, and while the FNP is a fine weapon, I'm still a 97-a-holic O0

I know. I know...we all get an urge for something new now and again.  That FNP looks like a good one.  However, I'll stick with my 'ol 97 and hope to one day soon get the guts to change the trigger to SA only.  My new CBOB has spoiled me for what a good trigger is supposed to be like.  ;D  I'll be leaning on the forum info when I decide to due that mod.  8)
"When people are universally ignorant and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."   Samuel Adams

Offline schmeky

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »
OldGreg,

When I have more range time with the FNP-45 I will.  However, my FNP has reaffirmed just how good my 97 is.  The FNP-45's have mag/feeding issues, the trigger is sticking on mine when the manual safety is disengaged, and there is -0- aftermarket or factory upgrades-goodies available.

A fool and his money . . . . .

Offline OldGreg

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »
I hear ya..

The good news though, according to the FN Forum users (i noticed you found the place Smeck), FN's customer service will take care of you.
P-07
SP-01 Phantom
97B

Offline pepsiman52

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 12:41:55 AM »
OldGreg,

When I have more range time with the FNP-45 I will.  However, my FNP has reaffirmed just how good my 97 is.  The FNP-45's have mag/feeding issues, the trigger is sticking on mine when the manual safety is disengaged, and there is -0- aftermarket or factory upgrades-goodies available.

A fool and his money . . . . .

Schmeky, are you using the 14 or 15 round magazines?  I have not had one mag/feeding or trigger sticking issue with my FNP 45 with the 14 rounders with about 500 rounds of WWB, Magtech and some Golden Sabers, although I have not been keeping up with the FN forum.  Mine was an early model so maybe something changed.  Sorry you are having a problem. FN customer service is said to be good - hope they help.

John
NRA Life Member
"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

anything