Author Topic: Help urgently needed for CZ-75 conversion in Australia.  (Read 2412 times)

Unregistered(d)

Help urgently needed for CZ-75 conversion in Australia.
« on: August 11, 2003, 06:10:39 PM »
:| Hi!

Please, could anyone find me a US or other supplier for a conversion for my CZ-75 military model in .40S&W to something under .38"?
 New stupid federal laws now limit us to 120mm minimum barrel length for autos, minimum .38" calibre and 10 round maximum magazines. My pistol misses out on calibre and length by 3mm. My 4 magazines are 10 shot anyway as I only need 6 shots per mag in my Services Match.

I would like to convert my .40S&W to .357SIG or .38SUPER AUTO, but do not know whether existing bushings/mags are compatible. My last choice would be 9mm.

Is the .357SIG a necked down .40S&W? If so- would the magazine I have presently be OK? Could I modify my present cases with a forming die? I have over X2,000 .40S&W cases....

There will be some govnt compensation for barrels and magazines - but none for ammo and reloading gear.

I am not flush with money- but refuse to be harassed and bullied like this by PM Howard's 'hate of guns'.

Any info appreciated on availibility and prices and whether the conversion is practical.

If it is not, my CZ [now nicely broken in after 500 rounds] will go to the government crusher. Then I will have to order another "policically correct" pistol and pay the high new price. I do not think this will stop crime atall, it is pure bullying of a minority by government.

caster303- OUT!

Kiamichi-Kid

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 04:09:18 PM »
The .357 Sig is based on the .40 S&W necked to 9mm, but it isn't the same. You'll need all new brass.

Yes, your .40 S&W magazines will feed .357 Sig just fine.

I haven't seen any off-the-shelf barrels in that caliber for any CZ pistols, but they can be made (Barsto Machine would be a possible supplier). The downside would be the cost. In the U.S. the price for a custom barrel like that might equal or exceed the value of the pistol. Don't know about Australia.

What about converting to something like 9x21mm?

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 07:54:29 PM »
May have to go to '9mm':rolleyes ...thanks for reply.

Kiamichi-Kid

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 07:58:34 AM »
Don't give up just yet!!! I was just looking at Barsto Machine's website and see that they do offer CZ75 barrels, though they don't list .357 Sig. That doesn't necessarily mean anything as they also offer a lot of custom/non-catalogued items. They list a price of $200 US, but I know that they offer dealer discounts.

They are on vacation until Monday 8-18-2003. If you're interested, I could call them Monday morning and post back what they say (they have email, but they're usually pretty slow about checking it).

Barsto Precision Machine

Post an email address and I'll send you some scans about the .357 Sig.

Kiamichi-Kid

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 03:10:19 PM »
Good news, caster!! I just got off the phone with Barsto and they can indeed supply a barrel in .357 Sig for your CZ-75B in either a drop-in fit, semi drop-in, standard, or five-inch barrel. Cost is $200 US plus shipping. They also indicated that they could have a barrel ready for shipping as early as next week.

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 09:29:17 PM »
Caster, no problem, I've done it and it's a neat conversion.
First, let's straighten out a few fallacies:  You can make all the .357SIG cases you want from .40 brass.  That's all we use here and we run many many thousands of rounds a year in 9x40 and .357SIG chambered Open IPSC guns.  The factory SIG round is a tad longer and foolishly headspaces on the case mouth, but we set them up to headspace on the shoulder, as all other bottlenecks routinely do.  I like about .006" to .010" headspace to make up for dirt in the chamber and that works well with the H110 Hodgdon or N110 Vihtavuori powder we use in the Open guns (mostly 1911 based).  In a noncompensated gun like my CZ and 1911, I use a faster powder, so could get away with a tighter fit, but why fix it if it ain't broke?  2 layers of IPSC target tape on the head of a loaded round should allow the action to close normally, 3 should be a hammer it shut proposition.  The tape is just about .004" thick.  A good way to set up your dies.

You can take a 9mm barrel and open it up with a .357SIG reamer.  I've never purchased a .357SIG barrel, and I've built a LOT of these.  The slide needs to be opened up on a 1911, and replaced with a .40 Slide on a CZ/TZ if it starts as a 9mm.  By the way, you can still pop in a stock 9mm barrel and run it quite reliably (and accurately) with the .40 slide and extractor in place.  I have one with a .40, .357SIG, and 9mm barrel and all shoot very well with the same slide setup.  

If you can't find a 9mm CZ barrel, those made for the TZ's can be very easily machined to fit.  You don't have the little tab on the hood but it's not needed.  I like barrels from Barsto, Storm Lake and Huening if you can get them, but in a pinch, just get a stock CZ 9mm barrel and rechamber it.  

Recoil is about the same as a hot .40 load, noise is higher depending on powder type and amount, and the power is definitely there with 125's at over 1400 easily attainable.

People who tell you (sorry Jim) that one of these has recoil and noise levels like a 9x19 are dreaming.  Simple math tells us these are hot loads but there's no problem loading down to say 1100 fps and these are a tad milder than the same velocity in a 9x19.  A side benefit is that all the bottleneck guns (non-compensated at least) I've shot are deadly accurate, even ones based on factory stock not-fitted-very-tightly barrels. The natural tendency for the round to find dead center in the chamber can't hurt I guess.  (In compensated guns we use up to 17 grains of slow powder to create the down-force we want, and the turbulence in the compensator means we lose a tiny edge in accuracy over, say, a .38Super otherwise identical).

I use Dillon carbide dies, but the steel ones from Lee and RCBS work well,  too - you just need to keep the lubed cases extra clean so the dies don't get scratched.  If you can't find a local gunsmith who can rechamber a barrel, or can't find a barrel, I can probably help.  I'm in Canada so shipping is not a problem

Best of luck on the conversion.  You'll like it.:D

Have a look at my website for further info - www.armco-guns.com

Gunnar Christensen

anything