Author Topic: Just Bought an 85  (Read 1693 times)

cz9091

Just Bought an 85
« on: August 19, 2002, 07:56:37 AM »
Hey,

I think I've found my forum.  I just bought a CZ 85.  I first bought a CZ 75 BD Police new, but the uptake action clicked and the decocker was a bear.  I was allowed to return it.
So I went with my second choice (gun show) which was the 85, pre-b of course, with 3 hi-cap mags.

It went for 385.  Don't know if that's good, but a dealer who is a friend of mine said "BUY it".

Will range test it asap, although I'm a newbie.  I've fired a 75B for the first time last week and was able to get 2 inch groupings at 15 feet standing.  Don't know if that's good, but for my first time, I was happy.

I am interested in knowing more about my 85.  I ordered the only book available on the class of guns.

Mine is stamped "88", Made in Czechoslovakia.  No import stamp.  The serial is basically 098xx, all original parts.  (well, the third hi-cap isn't).  I don't know how to rate guns.  This has an occasional chip in it's finish on an edge here or there, but doesn't looked like it was used very much.

The things I like about it over the 75B I shot was:
-  Hammer shape
-  Trigger guard shape
-  Real screws for grips (no philips heads)
-  no dots on sights
-  grip is wave shaped, not flat
-  It's ambi (I'm a lefty)
-  No darn Firing Pin Block, much easier to disassemble the firing pin.

Does this make me a snob?

There is only one thing I wish it had.
A companion.
cz9091

Walt-Sherrill

Just Bought an 85
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 10:22:30 AM »
That is a VERY good price.  Pre-B 75s go for $400 - $500, and that doesn't include 3 hi-caps.  (Maybe 2, at most.)

n-7677

Just Bought an 85
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2002, 08:29:51 AM »
cz9091,
When I bought my CZ85 new in November of 1990, I paid $326.00 for it. I also bought the CZ85 because I'm a lefty and I like the ambi controls. I think the year marked on mine is 87. While I was in Germany, I also bought a CZ50 for $64.00.

cz9091

Just Bought an 85
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 12:45:56 PM »
The price was good.  It was used, but the barrel looks quite new.  All the gun collectors I know love the trigger on it.  They say that compared to the CZ75B that our mutual friend has this hands down beats it.  I had to sight the gun, but now it's on target.  It's slightly harder than the HK USP, but much smoother.

The guy offered to sell me a 22 conversion kit, made for this model and made in Czechoslovakia (before the republic) which he has personally used and said is the most accurate conversion kit he has ever used, even compared to current Kadet kits (He's a gun dealor, so I'll take him at his word).  I'll buy it of course, next show.  For 275.

I got a CZ70 for 119 used.  I didn't get but one magazine and no holster.  Purchased another magazine and firing pin.  It's accurate.  Only thing I don't like is the hard SA trigger.  Hurts my finger.  I also see material wear on the metal since putting 400 rounds through it.  Not near as good a metal as the CZ75/85's.  I love the 'bond' look.  It's accurate.  I'm thinking of putting the 'harrington' trigger in, which they say will reduce that pull and make it smoother.  When I get a job.

Thanks for your reply,
cz9091