Author Topic: 712 blowing up?  (Read 9281 times)

Offline dusty10

712 blowing up?
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »
I was looking at a 712 utility so I thought I'd do an internet search for more info.  Several links came up about these 712 shotguns blowing up.  Anyone know the scoop on this?
"When people are universally ignorant and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."   Samuel Adams

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: 712 blowing up?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:48:39 AM »
No idea whatsoever, but I will see what CZ knows about that - I was considering that one myself, don't have a single shotgun.

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
I've been quite a fan of the CZ-USA shotguns for a few years now. Own four. Though mine are all doubles. I looked around on the net and a quick search found one report of a 712 blowing up because of a broken firing pin. In 3+ years on shotgunworld with 1900+ posts, I have never heard of such a thing. Not saying it didn't happen. Not saying it couldn't happen. But it appears to me that if it did happen, it was a very isolated incident. The only reference I found in my admittedly quick search was from 2006.

The Huglu (actual manufacturer of the CZ-USA shotguns) made guns were known for firing pin breakage in doubles in the first half of this decade, though that problem appears to have been corrected now as the reports of it seem to have died away in the the last few years.

Frankly, I think this is something you can rank up there with getting hit by a moon rock in terms of likliness. No sane US company would continue to market a gun if they thought something like this was a real hazzard. The potential legal implications and liabilities are just too great to take for a gun that probably doesn't put $100K per year into CZ-USA's pocket.

Best....2few

Offline dusty10

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Wow, I had to dodge a flyin' moon rock just today.  What are the odds?   ;D  But seriously, I thought I saw a recall on 712's about this when I was searching for info.  I'll look for it again and post if I can find it.  I'm sure CZ took care of whatever the issue was but I was just wondering if anyone out there had any personal experience with that problem as relating to the 712.  Thanks for reply, Dusty
"When people are universally ignorant and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."   Samuel Adams

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »
Check out the "sticky" on the 712 firing pin fix.  The complaints of exploding 712s I found on the net all date from '06. The "sticky" dates from '06. If after reading the "sticky" the problem was being reported in '06 but relating to guns made in '04 concerns you, please keep in mind that it is very common for CZ rifles and shotguns found new on the shelf to have been manufactured 2 or even 3 years before being sold at retail. The 3 CZ rifles I bought new this year had serial numbers from '07, '07 and '08. Of course the rifles are made in Czech Republic and the shotguns in Turkey, but when dealing with an imported gun, a 2 year "lag time" is not unusual.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:25:59 AM »
From CZ-USA.
The earliest ones had the possibility of going off before fully in battery.  They were fixed by a new firing pin design and were replaced in those early models.  Production was stopped for a couple of years and a complete redesign of the bolt and carrier was done to the 712.  No current models have an issue with this (or anything else to my knowledge), and very few of the originals remain out there that have not been refitted with the new firing pin design.

Offline dusty10

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 05:43:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply armoredman and 2fewdays.  I figured CZ would be all over any problem and fix it quickly.  I guess I'll start looking around for a 712.  ;D

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 07:04:18 AM »
Actually, I have been toying with the idea of a 712 myself. As a general rume, I'm not a fan of semi-auto shotguns, but a spring snow goose hunt has been calling to me and that is a job that really calls for a semi.

Offline dusty10

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 07:41:15 AM »
I've never had a semi-shotgun (only pump actions) but I'm curious about them and that 712 looked like a decent entry into that world.  2few, post what you think when you get a chance to handle one.  Dusty

Offline timb99

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »
For what its worth, I won a CZ-712 a month or so ago.  Initially, I was impressed.  I had owned other brand semi-auto's made in Turkey, and althought they work, the fit and finish and rough machining left a bit to be desired.

The 712 has very respectable fit.  The wood is a nice piece of walnut, although the finish is "production."  Not bad, just could be better.  Some day if I feel particularly ambitious, I may refinish the stock and forearm.

It comes with a nicely formed pistol grip, and a sporting clays style recoil pad.

I was very impressed by the trigger, which is a place where some "production" shotguns guns fail miserably.  This gun has a very nice trigger.  Reasonable pull weight and very little creep. 

The metal machining is precise.

The styling reminds me a little bit of an older Beretta 303.

The LOP is a little long for me at 14.5" but my first time out with it on the skeet field, I shot it well.  I had anticipated shortening the LOP, but will take it out hunting first to see how it handles.

I had it out after I first got it to "break it in" with a couple of boxes of heavy hunting loads (1-1/4 ounces at 1350 fps).  It handled them fine.  Had a couple of early jams, but the more I shot it, that went away.

It also handles my light target loads (1 ounce at 1160 fps) flawlessly.

Unless I find something to complain about, this is likely to become my primary upland game hunting gun.

Tim

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »
Thanks for the good report Tim.

Not surprised that you are unimpressed with the finish on the stock. The Huglu guns often have beautiful wood, but it is often buried beneath a really substandard finish. I've seen some of the Huglu guns that went from being "nice" to being real knockouts after a refinish.

I suspect a 712 for that snow goose hunt is next on my list!

Offline timb99

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »
2few

I know what you mean, and I know they can do better.  Living here in the same town where CZ-USA is based, and being an acquaintance of Alice Poluchova (CZ-USA President) we get to see their products out at our club pretty regularly.  Of course, for "show" they bring the nicest looking stocks they can find, and some of them are truly knockouts. 

A friend of mine bought one of their 28 gauge SxS guns off their presentation rack, just because the wood was so spectacular.

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 10:08:49 AM »
Yup! The wood is often spectacular, but the finish is either too soft, brittle or muddy muddy brown. I have one huglu that has gorgeous wood and the finish is good, but A friend went from having a nice gun to having a real showpiece with just a refinish job.

In a way I'm glad though, Right now these guns are very reasonable. I foresee a day when they are much more expensive.

Offline brokenarrowjbe

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »
Hey guys, I am looking at getting one used. Does any one know the year they became "safe"? Thanks, John

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 11:31:05 PM »
Seems the firing pins were changed in '06. I'd be inclined to look for one that was '07 or newer.