Author Topic: Dan Wesson vs. Para Ord Gun Rights  (Read 6132 times)

Offline CSM CZ Shooter

Dan Wesson vs. Para Ord Gun Rights
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
Looking for some input...Thanks in advance.

I want/need a Single Stack for USPSA. Not a big rush, probably won't compete with it until Fall. I wanted to go with CZ's cousin Dan Wesson. I like the feel/look of the Bobtail and Many great CBOB reviews here supported that choice. Then Angus won with a SSC in .40 and that took a small lead (realizing I can give it a Bobtail if desired). But the SSC and CBOB are discontinued in 2010 and the CZ line up has changed so much my eyes started wandering. I found a Para Ordnance Gun Rights (Fiber Optic Front Sight, 8 round, match barrel in .45, Stainless) for under $800 New. Basically it is Race Ready (for my level of competition) and half the price a Valor or V-Bob is going to run when they start to ship.

Any experience (good or bad) out there with the Para?
Anything about the Valor I am overlooking that will make it twice the gun?
Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

CSM, USA (RET)
CZ 75 Pre-B, PCR, SP-01 Shadow, P-06, CZ 97

snw_cz-fan

Re: Dan Wesson vs. Para Ord Gun Rights
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »
i dont have any direct experience with para, but they were famous for the 1911 high capacity, but then the grip isnt slim. kinda defeats the purpose of owning a 1911. I know the gun your talkn about is single stack with the wood grips i believe. Im sure theyre guns are ok, but i know that theyre customer serrvice is HORRIBLE. Id save up money and get a dan wesson. there are still websites selling the pm7. sounds like exactly what you need for a competition gun that wont break your bank, and their service is supposed to be great. I bet you wouldnt be dissapointed if you went with a dan wesson. Also, para closed its factory in canada and relocated to a new one, down side is they lost all theyre great employees and have new hires. Probubly without a lot of experience. i was lookn at the gi model myself, but since then have decided i can only get one 1911, so itd better be a good one ill be happy with for a long time. Im still gonna save for the DW

Offline CSM CZ Shooter

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:02:45 PM »
snw_cz-fan,

Thanks for the feedback and info on the factory move. That can't be a good thing for Quality Control.
CSM, USA (RET)

snw_cz-fan

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
thats kinda what i was thinkin. Atleste Kimber, springer, and Dan wesson have professional employees that have done the job for decades, and are career gun smiths. Thats the people id want building my gun. Im sure para prolly has some great employees too, just seems more like a gamble

snw_cz-fan

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
My shooting buddy bought a para 1911 that right away had a ligtht hammer strike and wasnt always setting off the primer. Paras customer service wouldnt even talk to him till he had put 500 rounds through it. Doesnt sound to me like a break in problem. I just thougt that if that's how they warranty their products i wouldnt wanna but from them. You know, iv never been a fan of the Taurus brand, but if you look closely, theyre new production guns are actually really nice. Theyre not the same company they were in the 80's. But even nicer is their UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY on their guns. You can buy one, shoot it till it wont shoot anymore, and they replace it free. Thats a hell of a company. Rugers customer service is similar. Though iv never had a problem with any of my rugers, i know that if you have to send one in to the factory, you get it back with a few free magazines or something nice. Im just saying i like to buy from companies that have that kind of customer service. I hear Dan Wessons is great. They are still trying to make a name for themselves as theyre still small, so i would imagine they treat their buyers like gold. Id think theyd have to to stay in business nowadays

Offline TSOL

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »
Go with the DW you won't be sorry so far in the last 2 months I've bought 3 2009 DW's. Great 1911's I would suggest getting one ASAP as their prices are going up in 2010 by about $300.
No one's gonna to do it for you.

snw_cz-fan

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »
im lookn at their heritage model still. Its the only one their not discontinuing this year. wanted a pm7 or cbob

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »
Where is this data stating what's going to be DC'd coming from, or I suppose a better way to say it is where can I find it?  Thanks

Offline Addict

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 08:21:55 PM »
Where is this data stating what's going to be DC'd coming from, or I suppose a better way to say it is where can I find it?  Thanks

You can see it on CZUSA's website under DW handguns. Several threads on the changes in next years line up/parts on the 1911 forum in the Dan Wesson subforum as well.

Addict

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »
Addict:  Thank you.  I want a Valor, in the Matte Black. I was afraid that they would DC that model.

snw_cz-fan

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:56:43 PM »
No way are they discontinuing the VALOR. In fact, they're building on it. I want one of the new vbobs in stainless, retail around 1500, so maybe 1300 for street price. I have a few issues with the valor though. I don't like that its an alloy. If it were a steel pistol, id buy it. Also, its obvious they made it to compete with the springer TRP model, pretty sure KIETH from DAN WESSON said so on the 1911 forum, which is also a fine gun. it just doesnt make sense to make it, then price it 300 bucks more than the TRP. I dont see how that's competitive........
It will be interesting to see how there new models sell this year. I wish that they made production pistols all the time, but theyre all limited run pistols, with new models and changes all the time. its good and bad.
Again nothing wrong with para pistols, their just a wierd 1911 company. Double action 1911's and double stack high cap magazines that ruin the sexy slimness of the 1911.......i know theyre nice guns, but what are these guys smokin??? they are definitely innovative, thats for sure. I guess if the models sell, then someone out there wants the new changes

Offline CSM CZ Shooter

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
snw_cz-fan,

I think the Valor and V-Bob are forged Steel and the CCO and 9mm only Guardian are Alloy. V-Bob may be worth waiting for. CBOB's get such high marks, the V-BOB can only be better, right?
CSM, USA (RET)

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 10:02:55 AM »
I have a TRP Operator, a Custom Springfield 1911, a Ed Brown Sheriff Jim Wilson, as well as a Kimber TLE RL II (barf).  The Custom and the are 5" barrels are both bull barrels. I was hoping to get a Valor and let it get beaten rather than my Ed Brown.  The Jim Wilson model and the Valor look very similar in fit & function and it certainly not as painful if it gets dinged up a bit. I have yet to see one up close and personal.

snw_cz-fan

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 04:27:54 PM »
the valor is a lightweight gun, so i dont see how it could all be forged. maybe the slide. i doubt the frame is though. yeah the vbob looks nice, but is it worth an extra 500????? cbob could be found for 1000 easy

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 04:53:48 PM »
snw_cz-fan, Lightweight as in alloy?  Lightweight as in Lighter than the Bull Barreled guns?  It's lisyed as 1077grams which is exactly what my Jim Wilson weighs.  I was under the impression that the Valor was an all steel weapon.