Author Topic: upgrading my cz  (Read 2822 times)

Offline CZ97Bisawesome

upgrading my cz
« on: February 17, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »
after a few years of shooting with all the stock parts I decided to upgrade

I went with a 16Lbs Wollf spring and Bedair full length guide rod
I was also thinking about getting a new barrel bushing from CZ for $35 I was wondering about the fit of the new bushing and would like to modify it for a tighter fit and maybe add some teflon to the ID to cut down on barrel drag.

Offline schmeky

Re: upgrading my cz
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:53:15 PM »
CZ97Bisawesome,

Read this thread:

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=23141.0

The 97 is a superb platform, but there is tremendous accuracy potential lurking in the barrel bushing.  You will never acheive a good, consistent, tight, fit with the stock bushing.  Teflon tape will loosen as you shoot.  You need to work toward improved mechanical accuracy to extract the most from the 97.

Offline CZ97Bisawesome

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 01:52:59 PM »
i was actually thinking about modifying my 97 with a 1911 bushing, that seems like a good idea and the bushings are everywhere.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
CZ97Bisawesome,

Not that difficult to do.  I sent my first 97 for the bushing mod to Jim Milk (formerly the gunsmith at EGW), he bored to my specs, and cut the retaining slot.  Took 6 weeks to get it back.  I performed the bushing fit once Jim sent the slide back.

I did my next 97 on my own mill and I just finished accuracy testing this past weekend.  Here is a pic of the first bushing install.  The bushing has been fitted to the slide and barrel, with the only the recoil spring plug fitting not done yet.  This particular 97 has shot 25 yard groups as small as 5 rounds in 9/16" of an inch, center to center.  I can do 1.5" or less on a good day if I really concentrate.  This pistol is so accurate, I know if a shot misses, it's me, not the pistol.  Incidentally, I have used several different 1911 bushings and the Ed Brown, in my opinion, is the best.

If you want the utmost in CZ pistol accuracy, this mod has the potential to reveal what your personal limitations are.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 04:40:45 PM by schmeky »

Offline javier

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:11:03 AM »
your work is exemplary. You menationed earlier that you provided the spect to the pistolsmith to "notch" the bushing locking on the slide. Would you share those with us? I am intersted on making such modification for my 97 b
Javier

Offline schmeky

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »
javier,

There is no "secret" spec.  The locating tab on a 1911 bushing is typically .110" in width.  The distance from the inside of the front flange to the inside of the locating tab is typically .120".  Anyone that bores and slots your slide will use the bushing you supply for the actual cuts.  That's only way to ensure a perfect fit.  

This is nothing a good machinist or gunsmith with the proper machinery can't do.  Just be sure to get an oversized match fit barrel bushing.  Once properly fit, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Offline javier

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:58:37 AM »
Thanks a lot schmeky

anything