Author Topic: 7.62x25 Wolf Gold HP  (Read 1598 times)

Offline lklawson

• CBD Dayton
7.62x25 Wolf Gold HP
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »
Arrrg!  I'm driving myself nuts trying to find anyplace online that actually has any in stock.  They're all estimating backorder from between middle of March to the middle of MAY!

Anybody got a line on an online merchant that actually has these in stock?

Note: I have plenty of the FMJ, it's the HP that I want.  At the moment, Wolf and Reeds are the only ones making commercial HP in this cartridge and I'm already backordered with Reeds (and have been since December).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out ho

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: 7.62x25 Wolf Gold HP
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
It is probably Prvi Partisan production out of Yugoslavia, and they had a BIG factory explosion recently. A lot of Wolf Gold is Prvi, that's why I say that - standard Russian service ammo is right out of the Tula factory, but the other stuff is contracted. You may need to go shopping for a differant brand, or reload.

Offline lklawson

• CBD Dayton
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »
It is probably Prvi Partisan production out of Yugoslavia, and they had a BIG factory explosion recently. A lot of Wolf Gold is Prvi, that's why I say that -
I hadn't heard.  I know that the Wolf Gold FMJ is plentiful enough but the HP is harder to find than hen's teeth right now.  I'll have to see if I can look up the story online.

standard Russian service ammo is right out of the Tula factory, but the other stuff is contracted. You may need to go shopping for a differant brand, or reload.
Besides Wolf the only commercial 7.62x25 I've ever found is Reeds.  They're a small shop (comparatively speaking) and are backordered something fierce.  I've had an order in with them since December and it's still not fulfilled yet.  They say they're having trouble getting certain stock but didn't say what.  I know that they load Hornady XTP and SP. 

I thought I might be able to find some Wolf HP's to hold me over until Reeds gets in what they need but so far, no luck at all.

As for reloading, I know that's an option for a lot of people, it just isn't a good option for me right now.  Start with the fact that I've never reloaded in my life, am a complete neophyte at it, have no gear or stock, have no good place to store said equipment and stock, and could potentially have an even longer wait to acquire materials and know-how than I would just waiting on commercial.

So, if someone wanted to sell me their handloads, that might be one thing, but it's just not reasonable for me to do it myself.  Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out ho

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 09:05:18 PM »
Check CCI? Sometimes they have some odd ball calibers

Offline lklawson

• CBD Dayton
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »
It's been suggested that I look at 7.63 Mauser as a compatible (if somewhat lower performing) cartridge.  I've found one commercial hollow point offering (Hornady) and one custom handloader (at about half the price).  Might have to try that route.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:13:06 PM »
I have no idea if those two calibers are compatible or not, be careful.

Offline lklawson

• CBD Dayton
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:15:46 AM »
I have no idea if those two calibers are compatible or not, be careful.
They are compatible going forward, not backwards.

The 7.62x25 "Tokarev" round was (supposedly) developed from the 7.63 Mauser (aka: .30 Mauser) round and is designed to develop higher pressures than its predecessor. I've found a lot of documentation which indicates that the Mauser round is quite safe to fire in firearms designed for the Tok round.  It is, essentially, (according to the documentation) just a mild round.

The same can not be said going backwards.  The 7.62x25 "Tokarev" round can not be safely fired in firearms chambered for the 7.63 (.30) Mauser without risk of "spontaneous dissasembly."

Apparently the relationship of the 7.63 Mauser to the 7.62 Tokarev is somewhat akin to the relationship of the .38 Special to the .357 Magnum.

However, you are right that I (and anyone else) should be especially careful when considering ammo types not stamped on the gun. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

anything