Author Topic: Help: PCR vs RAMI for my next CZ...  (Read 2999 times)

Offline gargamel

Help: PCR vs RAMI for my next CZ...
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »
Hi Guys. Im new to the CZ forum. I have been a proud owner of a CZ75 B for many years but I decided to get a much smaller CZ for CCW (mostlying in OWB). I realize those in the RAMI forum may provide a different reponse but I like to know how those with the CZ PCR feel about theres for CCW. I am torn between the CZ 75 PCR and the 2075 RAMI (alloy). Im leaning towards decocker in either gun. Weight is not a problem but I just want something that can tuck away better in a CZ package. Pro and cons between the two?

Local shop has a new PCR for $500.00 and it felt right. Yes, it is smaller then my full size but I have been reluctant to take it home, since the RAMI really has a more dramatic size differnence then the full size. Sadly, I never seen a RAMI to try one out for size. CZ are not common in my area. Sorry I can only afford to buy one.  ;D

Should I go all out subcompact (Rami) or more subtle with compact (PCR)....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:48:58 PM by gargamel »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Help: PCR vs RAMI for my next CZ...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
If you love the CZ75 feel, then the PCR is for you. The RAMI is a smaller version of the CZ40B. My wife loves hers. I highly reccomnd the PCR, and a good holster will help hide it.

Offline Dos

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »
+1 on the PCR.  I had the Rami for a while but felt it was too  "chunky"....thick thick that is. Nevertheless, a nice piece on its own merits.

The PCR was a way better fit for me.

And then:

Finally found an alloy framed 75 compact which is best of both worlds for me... ;D

Offline viking499

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:44:40 PM »
Agree with DOS on the PCR choice.  Same reason I got rid of the Rami and got the PCR.

Offline TSOL

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
I was in the same boat as you I recently got my FL CCW I already had a PCR and thought I wanted a smaller gun for CCW but I have to say I've had zero issues with carrying the PCR IWB or even OWB. To me the small grip on the Rami just didn't feel comfortable I know you can use the extended mag but now it's almost the same size as the PCR so it kind of defeats the purpose of the Rami. I want a gun for carry that feels right and I'm comfortable shooting. I have a S&W J Frame in 38 spl. that isn't any fun to shoot and I like shooting so needless to say it's going to kind of be a summer only carry piece. Even then I bought one with an extended grip as the small factory grip just didn't feel right with my pinky just hanging there in the breeze. I'm afraid that if I bought a Rami it would just sit in the safe most of the time keeping the S&W company. I rather spend the money one a 2nd PCR, P-01 or SP-01 Shadow.   
No one's gonna to do it for you.

Offline dairycreek

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:02:21 PM »
I own both a PCR and a RAMI.  For a CCW my personal choice is the PCR - hands down.  Better balance and accuracy in my hands.  As far as concealability concerned the RAMI, while small, is wider and bulkier to conceal.  The PCR is easily concealed and is my odds on recommendation.

Offline MJZZZ

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »
I own both a PCR and a RAMI.  For a CCW my personal choice is the PCR - hands down.  Better balance and accuracy in my hands.  As far as concealability concerned the RAMI, while small, is wider and bulkier to conceal.  The PCR is easily concealed and is my odds on recommendation.

I have 2 Rami's but carry a PCR for the above reason. I put a set of Crimson Trace grips on the PCR and have finally found what I consider the perfect carry handgun.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Offline burley

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:54:56 PM »
Hi gargamel, you're asking PCR or RAMI.  Your LGS has a PCR for 5 bills.  That's pretty good.  What mags come with?  Those 14 rounders with the curved baseplates are cool.  A RAMI decock will run you well over 600 bucks.  The 10 round RAMI mags are around 40 bucks.  Each.  The RAMI decock will have cool nite sights for your $650.  The PCR and CT grips for the same money, mol.  Mec Gar after market mags in 14 rounders for around 20 bucks for the PCR.   I have both, like both,carry and shoot both pretty well.  MJZZZ might have the best idea for your 6 1/2 bills.
DUST               WIND               DUDE

Offline wagon

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 01:27:51 AM »
CZ newbie here, and I try to decide between Rami and PCR.  I'm confused with several comments about RAMI being "chunkier and bulkier" between the two..   from CZ site, RAMI is 1.3" wide vs PCR 1.4" wide.    Just by the numbers shouldn't PCR is the bulkier and chunkier one?

I have held a RAMI but have not held a PCR..  I found the RAMI is a little too thick to my like (considering my carry is a Kahr PM9... so almost everything is "chunky".. but I'm willing to "go large"..   LOL)..   

I am recently attracted to CZ :  I bought two CZ452 rimfire within 1 day a part.. they are just marvelous!!   So here I am trying to add a CZ pistol...

I am a medium built 5'7" 155 lb...   wear small size gloves .. which one should fit my hand better?

... and pls excuse this noob ...  is there much different in the shooting / carrying experience  between PCR and P-10 Compact?  From the pic, except for the thicker muzzle end in P-01, they look almost the same?   I noted that TGS has P-01 Compact for $450 ish .. seems like a very good price, is it not?

Thanks guys!

Offline E.Shell

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »
...I'm confused with several comments about RAMI being "chunkier and bulkier" between the two..   from CZ site, RAMI is 1.3" wide vs PCR 1.4" wide.    Just by the numbers shouldn't PCR is the bulkier and chunkier one?...
Those measurements are taken across the grips (the widest point) and are only one side of the story when it comes to bulk. Differences in frame design and slide width contribute greatly to how compact a handgun actually is.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

http://www.CentralVirginiaTactical.com/; Long Range Precision

Offline gargamel

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »
I may be wrong but the RAMI just appears "chunkier" due to it's subcompact size. Length is smaller but it has the same or near width of the PCR so we assume its "chunkier". It just looks out of proportion.

I went with the PCR. It fits just right.

Offline MJZZZ

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
I have taken precise measurements before and the two guns are the same 1 3/32" thickness side to side at the dust cover and beaver tail area. The Rami is only 1/32 taller from behind the sight area to under the frame. The PCR is longer at the barrel length and grip length, and thicker at the grip. The Rami being chunkier than the PCR is only perceived by me because of the shorter grip. I carry a PCR and not because it is bigger or smaller, I'm just a lot better shot with the PCR from a concealed holster draw.  Mike
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Offline wagon

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 02:02:22 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, guys.

Mike - as I mentioned I have held a RAMI but never a PCR, but based on what you said that PCR has a thicker grip, so does it has a tad of a longer reach to the trigger than the RAMI?   (I wear small size gloves..  LOL).   

And how does the PCR grip size and profile compares with the P-01 grip?     I have handled a P-01 once before in Cabelas so I can relate...  pls shed some light.

But I must agree with you guys, from the pic, PCR does appear to be more proportional and better balance, and DOES look slimmer....

I have taken precise measurements before and the two guns are the same 1 3/32" thickness side to side at the dust cover and beaver tail area. The Rami is only 1/32 taller from behind the sight area to under the frame. The PCR is longer at the barrel length and grip length, and thicker at the grip. The Rami being chunkier than the PCR is only perceived by me because of the shorter grip. I carry a PCR and not because it is bigger or smaller, I'm just a lot better shot with the PCR from a concealed holster draw.  Mike

Offline MJZZZ

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 08:06:22 AM »
What I didn't make clear is the PCR's grip is only thicker with standard grips installed, take the grips off and the PCR, Rami BD, P-01 and 40P frames are all 1" thick. The P-01 and the 40P use the exact same frame and these two guns have the same frame profile as the PCR, the only difference being the P-01 and 40P both have a light rail so the frame is 5/8" longer at the front end. The P-01, 40P and Rami BD all measure 3" from trigger curve to beavertail curve, the PCR is 3 1/32" and is the only one of them that has a serrated trigger. I chose the PCR to concealed carry because I can't carry a gun with a light attached in my current collection of holsters. I do plan on getting a light attachment for the P-01 for use as a nightstand gun.  Mike

Offline Onegoodshot

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 10:25:33 PM »
PCR is exceptional. Accurate, reliable. Juicy Winchester Silvertips are excellent Defensive, max expansion JHP.

anything