Author Topic: Looking for a good CZ to shoot trap  (Read 3999 times)

Offline lunker

Looking for a good CZ to shoot trap
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »
I have several CZ pistols and am now looking at their over/under shotguns. Unfortunately, the Sporting model is out of my price range. Can anyone make any recommendations on a good model? What are the major differences between the Woodcock, Redhead, and Canvasback? Thanks

Offline shooterdude

• Shooterdudes Chronicles
Re: Looking for a good CZ to shoot trap
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »
CZ OEM's their shotguns from other sources including some contract manufacturers in Turkey.  While this may or may not be good or bad you just don't see CZ's at the trap/skeet range.  I too am an avid CZ enthusiast when it comes to their pistols but have chosen to shoot a Beretta for the clay sports.  This is my personal preference, YMMV.
Follow my blog "Shooterdude's Chronicles" at http://www.shooterdude.info

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
With the exception of the BRNO shotguns, CZ-USA shotguns are made by Huglu in Turkey. Fine field guns at very affordable prices. I'm no real expert, as I only own 4 and seldom shoot more than 5,000 rounds per year between them. But I do know a little about them.

Short version....They are EXCELLENT guns for field use or "casual clays". If you are a serious clay shooter and will be shooting over 10,000 rounds per year through this specific gun then you really should consider setting your sights a little higher.

These are FINE doubles, but they are not $10,000 K-guns for 1/10th price.  If you are a serious clay shooter, set your sights a little higher. If you shoot clays for fun or are a hunter, any of the CZ-USA guns will serve you well.

For more info and honest opinions on Huglu/CZ-USA shotguns check this link  http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=137

Best....2few

Offline lunker

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:53:50 PM »
I have been looking at online reviews and seeing 75% bad. Maybe I'll start looking elsewhere.

Offline timb99

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 12:40:54 PM »
Honestly, a good, used, Remington 1100 trap model is probably one of the very best starter guns for someone who wants to get into trap shooting.

Its what I started shooting trap with, and its what my daughter still shoots trap with.

Look for a trap model with a Monte Carlo stock and a 30" stepped rib.

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »
A Remmy "Jam-o-matic"? PUHLEEZ!  Owned one back in the mid '80s. Wouldn't feed any light loads worth a hoot. USELESS for target loads!

And therein lies the problem with "online research"......too many people telling stories they heard from a friend who heard from a friend or that are 20 + year old "personal experience".

My initial 4 sentences are worthless because they are 25 year old personal experience.....but too many people leave that part out in internet posts.

All I had to do was leave out the fact that my experience with the 1100 dates to the mid '80s and you've got someone saying the 1100 is junk.

Remember Lunker....When you do "online research" always follow the rule......READER BEWARE!

Best.....2few

Offline timb99

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »
2few

Not sure what you were trying to say with your post?!?!

Look up the ATA trap shooting records of Daro Handy and Leo Harrison III.  (they're on http://www.shootata.com)

For most of his career, Daro Handy used a Remington 1100.

Leo Harrison III shot an 1100 until about 10 years ago, when it was stolen.

My friend Dennis Whitlock (current trap singles average of 99%) shoots the same "out of the box stock" 1100 he has had for about 15 years.

I personally used an 1100 for my first few years of trap shooting until I moved to a break action gun.

Lots and lots of folks shoot trap with the 1100/1187 guns.  The trap models are made specifically for shooting light trap loads.

They are great trap guns.

I know you know a bit about shotguns, but in this case, I think you're out in the weeds.

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:46:59 AM »
timb.....

What I was trying to say with my post is that ofttimes "online research" is worthless. You know....the whole "One bad apple spoils the whole batch" thing.

I had a Remington 1100 "back in the day".  It jammed or failed to feed most everything short of anti-aircraft loads. Though it did feed slugs and buckshot well.

Lunker posted that he had done some online research and had come across quite a few negative posts about CZ-USA doubles.

If I wanted, I could post all kinds of worthless claptrap about the Remmy 1100. But I don't. Generally, when I post about the Remmy 1100 what I do say is that I had one and had unending problems with it, but that they have a pretty good reputation.

What I was trying to point out is that one needs to be careful with "online research". All it takes is one or two loud people with problems and the next thing you know there are dozens of people repeating the nonsense that the loud people have spewed.

In short, I wasn't "dissing" the Remmy 1100, I was "dissing" the value of much of what Lunker had read online about the CZ-USA doubles.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear in my earlier post.

As to the Remmy 1100/1187 series......I had one a long time ago. It was a piece of junk. Remmy did not IMHO, do right by me and as a result, I haven't bought any Remmy guns since. And I won't. Remmy lost me as a customer permanently.

But that doesn't make them bad guns. Just makes me a dissatisfied customer. And because I'm intelligent enough to know that my experience is not neccessarily typical, I don't "bash" them. I just generally try to avoid talking about them.

In general, through the years, Remmy has a good rep. Though since they were purchased by whatever mega-corporation owns them now, it is starting to sound like their CS has taken a serious turn for the worse. Though that is just the feeling I'm getting from my reading. Everybody's MMV.

Hope I have clarified myself.  :)

Regards......2few

Oh.....and P.S......Thanks for the kind words regarding my knowledge of shotguns. I don't know half as much as you give me credit for. But in the limited field of "budget" or "affordable" doubles, I do like to think I know a little more than the average bear......or anyway, a lot more than a lot of the so called "online experts".  ;)