Author Topic: CZ82 trigger slap  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Gubbins

CZ82 trigger slap
« on: April 11, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
Finally put a few magazines through the near-new CZ82 I got from J&G a while back, and although it was flawless in function and very accurate I did note nasty trigger slap.
It made an otherwise great handgun somewhat unpleasant to shoot.
Anyone else experience this? If so, is there a fix?
I was using Silver Bear FMJ ammo and other than the above I really like it--it's a screaming bargain and it's built like a tank-
Thanks gents~

Offline NVCZ

• I poke Badgers with sporks...
Re: CZ82 trigger slap
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:44:45 PM »
never noticed that problem on mine.

NVCZ
Battle Born

Party Like It's 1773

www.soviet-steel.com
Com Bloc pistols, rifles AND tanks. Americans showing how we shoot their stuff.

Offline billjohnso20

• Pistol Packin' Preacher
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »
You might try a few things.

1) How long is your recoil spring? A worn/compressed recoil spring is short enough to fit inside the slide with little to no compressing. Both of my 82s were unissued and the recoil spring is an inch or so longer than the distance from the breech face to the muzzle. A worn recoil spring results in more felt recoil due to higher slide speed during recoil and can be perceived as trigger slap. You can get recoil springs from Wollf at http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/CZ/82%20%26%2083/cID1/mID16/dID92. The 16lb spring is best for stock 9mm Mak ammo.

Another way you can tell is by how far your 82 throws the empties. Mine drops them pretty much at my feet. If yours is throwing your empties more than 10 feet, the recoil spring needs replaced.

2) You can place a piece of silicon or rubber behind the trigger. The best material is the self-adhesive rubber feet used for appliances and such. Just slowly file/sand the rubber down until the trigger breaks but then stops its rearward travel. It must reliably break though. It is better to remove a little too much than to pull the trigger and nothing happen. I have done this with some of my ultra-compact pocket guns. The recoil is so severe, the trigger slap is brutal.

3) You can also recontour the face of the trigger with a fine file. The only complaint I have with the 82 is it's sharp edge where the face meets the side of the trigger. Softening this transition can reduce trigger slap as well.

I hope these suggestions give you some options. Number 1 is the most likely cause of the trigger slap you mention. Let us know how things go.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

Offline Gubbins

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:11:28 AM »
Sorry to be so late with thanks for all the great suggestions..! I appreciate the sharing spirit and the education. I will try what you suggest and report in asap.
Best from AZ~!

Offline fullerb1

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:13:09 AM »
Bill pretty much covers all the probable causes. i am with NVCV on this one. Mine does sling brass a looooong way but not trigger slap.
VZ-82
Mossberg 500 with ATI pistol grip stock and fore end
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (Tula)
Savage .22 Semi auto rifle.

Offline Herr Mario

• .........."typical bitter clinger"................
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »
....no slap at all with mine.....even wifey had no complaints using it  to qualify for CCW... ;D

anything