Author Topic: "New to me" 75BD range report...  (Read 1736 times)

Offline centermass

"New to me" 75BD range report...
« on: March 14, 2003, 10:15:29 PM »
Well, I finally got a chance to try the 75BD out today after having to cancel the trip to the range last weekend. I had the day off and stopped by the local indoor place since I was running errands in the area anyway (no this wasn't premeditated, honest... I'm still not exactly sure how my range bag and gear got in the trunk... ;)  ). When I arrived at 11:30 am, I saw some guys walking in an out of the building wearing chemical suits and respirators. They were deleading the range, there was a sign on the door stating that it the shop was open, but the range wouldn't be open 'til 12pm. "Only a half hour," I thought to myself. So I decided to hang around and look at all their beaten down rental guns (they did have a 97B and an 83, but no 75's). After waiting until about 12:10, they assured me the lanes would be open very soon, so I decided to go up to the 7-11 and get a drink. After being gone a total of 5 minutes, I walk back in the lobby, and there's like 15 people waiting around!!! :eek  >:  I just did'nt want to lose my place in line! Soon it becomes 12:30 and pretty much everybody who was waiting becomes impatient and leaves, with the exception of one other guy. They finally open the range at roughly 1:00, and I get to shoot.
            I only brought with me 200 rounds of S&B 115gr. FMJ, I could'nt afford to get too "exotic" my first time out with this pistol.
            I fired at three distances: 3,7, and 15 yards. No crazy, long-distance stuff this time. Personally, I don't see much use for knowing how well my defensive pistol shoots at 25 or 50 yards, but sometimes it's fun!
            At three yards, natural point shooting is very effective without having to rely much on the sights. Nice tight groups  at POA. Indeed, a useful trait for any defensive pistol.
            At seven and fifteen yards, nice grouping after I get used to those dinky little sight dots. This is my one dislike of this pistol, maybe later I'll get something easier for my not-so-good eyes too acquire...
            Very comfortable to shoot with these light loads, I can't imagine using 124gr. +P's would be an arduous task. It fits my hand well, but I had difficulty maintaining grip position with the smooth frontstrap and backstrap in my sweaty paws. I'm a fingergroove kind of guy anyway, I have some Hogues on order... maybe I'll add a little griptape to the backstrap later. My impression of the DA trigger is favorable, pretty much what I expected, I have fired much worse. I have average-size hands, reaching the trigger was not an issue for me. The SA trigger is VERY good, me likey :D ! No failures of any kind in this 200 round run, I am impressed!
            Thanks to all who have posted their excellent range reports and feedback on the CZ line who swayed my decision to purchase this fine weapon, you have created another one of the faithful!
            As an additional report, I also tested the two stepped-down base 16 round magazines purchased from reddogxx on this trip. Excellent functioning with no problems of any kind. No premature hold-open, or lack of hold-open after last round, very flush fit with no problems engaging magazine catch. If these aren't factory mags, they should be! To those questioning the quality of these particular mags (with the stepped-down bases), they are definitely worth the purchase.

Thanks, Steve.    

Offline RickP

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 11:07:15 AM »
Steve,
            Congrats on your new acquisition!  I love my BD and now I'm beginning my research on a second smaller framed model for CCW.

Two points, first, you spoke of adding 'grip tape'.  You may want to get in touch with member Hakan on this.  He's experimented with using some type of 'gritty tape' on some of his jobs.  Check out his web site and you'll see a dual tone with this applied.  I don't know how the adhesive will affect the black polycoat of the BD should you decide to remove the tape.  Best bet, ask Hakan (good guy).
            Second, you spoke of the dinky white dots. There's a post in the 75B Club and a reply from Walt Sherrill on the use of Testor's flourescent paint.  I took Walt's advice and I'm extremely pleased with my six dollar investment.
            pub105.ezboard.com/fczech...1964.topic

HTH...cheers

Offline centermass

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 11:07:49 PM »
Rick, thanks for the replies. I have read the threads regarding enhancing the sight dots with model paint, it does sound like an economical and simple fix. As it happens, I have quite a few colors of model paint here and I may be giving that a try soon with either gloss white or bright yellow! As for the grips, I will definitely see how the Hogues do by themselves before adding anything else. I had heard however, elsewhere on this forum, that removal of these "grippy tapes" is not really difficult if I end up putting it on and disliking it. I could be wrong.
            I am quite farmiliar with Hakan's work, as I have been drooling over his beautiful grips for about a year now. I am a big fan of handcrafted wood grips on pistols, however, they are not exactly practical for me as far as my wife and the budget are concerned, if you know what I mean! :rolleyes :D  This is a house gun anyway, so it does'nt have to impress anyone in the looks department.
            Out of curiosity, what does Hakan charge for a set of grips and shipping to the States? I've heard more accolades of his art and service than I can count, but maybe no one is rude enough to bring up price... I am. Hakan if your'e listening, let me know, or anyone that may wish to divulge how much they paid for their set! I would have asked him directly, but figured he may have been upset for wasting his time since I really can't afford them now (I think) and was just curious. They definitely are purdy.

Best, Steve

Jhumphrey

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 11:10:28 PM »
I did the same with my 75BD several weeks ago.  Got the
            florscent paint kit and painted my rear sights green and my
            front sight red....it worked great and it was a cheap investment.

Jhumphrey

Cols, Oh

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 07:59:13 AM »
Hakan's grips vary, but run in the same general price range as the nicer Hogue grips (sometimes less than that), and you can be sure they fit the CZs right.  That isn't always the case with the Hogue grips.

Offline centermass

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 09:27:40 PM »
Walt, thanks for the info on Hakan's grips. That's a lot less expensive than I expected if the price is in fact around that of the Hogue wood grips, and I agree on the "being certain they will fit the CZ" point, that is very important. I like the Hogue wood grips, but Hakan's are much nicer by far from what I can tell by the pictures of both. His grips are obviously handcrafted works of art, not just creations of CNC machining like the Hogues. Even still, I will have to wait to purchase a set!
            Coincidentally, I received and installed the Hogue rubber monogrip today. For me, it feels like a definite improvement over the stock plastic grips. Very comfy. We'll see if they are, in fact, an improvement the next time I can get to the range. The only thing I do not like about it is the way the rubber seems to be stressed around the grip screw heads, as if it is trying to stretch forward over them. I imagine this might go away after the grips have been on awhile and have sort of "taken" to being on this particular pistol. If not, it doesn't appear to affect function, the panels are flush all the way around on the edges.

Again, thanks for the replies and help all.

Steve