Author Topic: Dreaming CZ-527 in 22 Hornet  (Read 8203 times)

Offline Uncle John

• Pass it on
Dreaming CZ-527 in 22 Hornet
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:53:23 PM »
I dont know if I  can take it anymore. I have perfectly good rifles for all types of hunting and target shooting CZ are amoung the best. But every time I come here I start thinking about the 527 in ,22 Hornet. I have little use for such a gun, other than range work but it is legal to hunt deer in Louisiana with a .22 Hornet. If I did it would be a high neck shot only thing (right behind the ear.) Now I'm pretty skilled at such things anyway with other firearms, and out of 135 deer most have been inside 50 yards so the range is not great. It just takes a cool hand.

Mostly I would take meat deer with such a shot, but knowing my luck the Boone & Crockett buck I missed last year (I hit a twig) will walk out and pose for his closeup for the Outdoor Channel. I'll kill him Elmer Keith dead with an ear shot and never hear the end of it. but thats what I'm going to do if I get the 22 Hornet...bad me. O0
John Simeone
www.foremosthunting.com
Outdoor Writer

Offline 2fewdaysafield

Re: Dreaming CZ-527 in 22 Hornet
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
Nothing wrong with shooting deer with a .22 Hornet if the range is right and you know your rifle well. I have a buddy who for the last 10 years + has never used anything bigger than a .22 WMR.  It's not neccessarily about the size of the bullet as much as it is about where you put it.

Offline Uncle John

• Pass it on
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 06:55:52 PM »
Yes thats true, but you see Im the guy that has always scolded things like that as few can really shoot that Well. By the way I wrote full instructions on how to browse Foremost Hunting.com website so you and others can find the Pro Staff articles.

I have killed a lot of big wild hogs with a 22 magnum DRT, dead right there...I think Ill get the 527 FS just too cool to pass up.
John Simeone
www.foremosthunting.com
Outdoor Writer

Offline E.Shell

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 06:51:03 AM »
I'm an old Hornet fan, starting with a Savage 340 in the '70s. I still have two T/C Contender barrels in .22 Hornet, a 10" handgun barrel and a 24" custom shop bull barrel. I've also taken deer with it under crop-damage permits and a well placed shot inside about 125-150 yards works great.

I found that the brass to be extremely thin and overall quality is poor compared to most other cartridges, especially the neck thickness. Not an issue if one doesn't handload. Because I do rely heavily on handloading, I eventually went to the .221 FireBall and had much more consistent results.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

http://www.CentralVirginiaTactical.com/; Long Range Precision

Offline Uncle John

• Pass it on
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:52:53 AM »
I may go with the .223 for praticality. Federal makes two Factory loads with bullets for the 223 that are designed for deer hunting This is the Triple Shock (55 grain Barnes X-Bullet) and a 60 grain Nosler Partition bullet. Reports from the CZ-USA website indicate this rifle, reguardles of its full stock, is deadly accurate. The 527 Lux with the longer barrel is a beautiful weapon, but to me the eye catcher is the little "Stutzen" with the full stock.
John Simeone
www.foremosthunting.com
Outdoor Writer

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »
Yes thats true, but you see Im the guy that has always scolded things like that as few can really shoot that Well. By the way I wrote full instructions on how to browse Foremost Hunting.com website so you and others can find the Pro Staff articles.

I have killed a lot of big wild hogs with a 22 magnum DRT, dead right there...I think Ill get the 527 FS just too cool to pass up.

UJ....Get that FS!!!!!   I have 3 of them!   452 FS .22 LR; 527 FS .223; 550 FS 30-06. GREAT RIFLES and cooler than ice in Alaska!

Totally agree with you about few being able to shoot that well....at least under hunting conditions. My buddy can. But I can't, so I hunt deer with my Henry .357 or a 30-06

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 12:06:16 AM »
I can say if it's a caliber not currently offered, get as many people as possible to ask for it, and CZ will look into it.

Offline fishhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 09:32:05 AM »
i just bought a 527 lux hornet this past may,and am i glad i did. the rifle shoots sub min groups with just about every thing i have loaded for it .
  the 1:16 twist likes the shorter bullets best,although i have gotten good groups with the 52 grn. siera bt,it shoots the 35 grn vmax best(.375 at 100 yrd) it will hold sub min.with 45 grn. dog towns also,i use lil'gun powder is al my hornet loads.
  as for deer i see no problem if you can shoot,i have a buddy that kills deer with his 77 hornet and swears by the 35 gr v max factory round,he says hasen't lost one yet.

Offline Master Aegidius

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »
My 2 cents would be to get the .223.

The main reason would be for the 1:12 RoT, secondly would be the better availability of components, and finally would be the accuracy.

Not to say that you can't kill deer with a 22 Hornet, but you would probably need to hand load for it as the factory ammunition is all geared towards light varmint use.

I have personally used my CZ 527 in .223 to kill something like half a dozen deer, a couple of antelope, and one cow elk. Depending on what your rifle likes, I would recommend using either the 53 gr Barnes TSX, the Nosler 60 gr Partition, the Hornady 60 gr InterLock, or the 55 gr Remington.

In general, the 1:12 CZ rifles tend to like the lighter weight bullets with harder jackets. But out to 100 yds, 3/4 MOA will give you enough accuracy to take the necessary shots.

Where the .223 shines in in the precision it offers and the ability to maintain your sight picture after the shot.

One word of caution on the TSX, though, is that it needs to hit bone to work well. Otherwise it will behave like FMJ and just pencil through. So, shoulder and head shots are what it is best suited for.

Good luck!

Offline Uncle John

• Pass it on
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 08:55:46 AM »
Thanks guys that FS is the way to go for me. I think if it came in 6.8 Rem SPC it would be perfect. Now I want a 550 Fs in 6.5X55 SE. Is there no end to this? O0
John Simeone
www.foremosthunting.com
Outdoor Writer

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »
NOPE!!!   No end to the CZ Madness!

Offline fishhawk

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
I dont know if I  can take it anymore. I have perfectly good rifles for all types of hunting and target shooting CZ are amoung the best. But every time I come here I start thinking about the 527 in ,22 Hornet. I have little use for such a gun, other than range work but it is legal to hunt deer in Louisiana with a .22 Hornet. If I did it would be a high neck shot only thing (right behind the ear.) Now I'm pretty skilled at such things anyway with other firearms, and out of 135 deer most have been inside 50 yards so the range is not great. It just takes a cool hand.

Mostly I would take meat deer with such a shot, but knowing my luck the Boone & Crockett buck I missed last year (I hit a twig) will walk out and pose for his closeup for the Outdoor Channel. I'll kill him Elmer Keith dead with an ear shot and never hear the end of it. but thats what I'm going to do if I get the 22 Hornet...bad me. O0

hey unc john
  i live in louisiana and like you wanted a hornet for a long time,well i just could not stand it any longer. this may i bought a cz 527 lux in 22 hornet,i am a reloader and with 12.9  grs. of lil'gun behind a 35 or 40 grn v max i get 3/8 to 1/2 inch groups at a hunderd yrds.
    this is one sweet gun with a  single set trigger that is  adjustable for pull weight and trigger travel.

Offline goosedowner

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
You guys are killing me. I've been wanting a hornet for some time and thought I narrowed it down to the Ruger but it looks like I may have to get a 527 with the green laminated stock instead. ;D

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 06:17:11 PM »
Well. I'm over in E. Texas, still have a house in NE Louisiana and do a bit of shooting there.

I  have two Hornets, my first is a Ruger #1 standard with a big Leupold target scope,  not too handy, so I got a CZ 527 American Deluxe, with a little Leupold 4x rimfire scope.  The CZ is much more fun but the Ruger is a better bench gun.

Offline bblinndman

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »
Just got my CZ527 LUX 22Hornet here in Romania. It begs not to put a scope on it! 100m, standing, no rests, right in the middle of 1l plastic bottle, first round. soft point (Teilmantel) from RWS 42grains. It is so well balanced that i won't put any scope on it. I will change the sights for dawn and dusk hunting tho, i found some nice folding front sights (day/night) on www.recknagel.de. I have to change the ramp too, that's it! Cz doesn't offer choices for front sight blades, DAMN. Expensive but i'll give it a try, still won't cost nothing compared to a good scope. Don't know yet what i will do with the fixed rear sight, still workin' on it, i saw marble arms folding rear sight nr 95, maybe that! If someone has experience with that please reply!

anything