Author Topic: CAI assembled VZ2008....good deal, or stay away?  (Read 16525 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: CAI assembled VZ2008....good deal, or stay away?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
Thier customer service was incredibly bad. When my CETME had issues, they told me the warantee began the day it was shipped to the gunstore, and by the time I got it and discovered the problem, it was "out of warrantee", even though I had owned it for a week, bought brand new from a reuptable gunstore.
If you get a god one, great! If not, good luck.

Offline gorak

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 12:03:57 AM »
Who makes the Century VZ-58 receivers?  Or do they make it themselves.  The only two domestic manufacturers that I know of who made a receiver for it were Ohio Rapid Fire, and Ohio Ordinance works.

Offline Simper

• I love my VZ58
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 12:15:06 AM »
CAI Receivers are made by North County Engineering.

http://www.northcountryeng.com

The only company that I have been able to find that has receivers for sale is Czechpoint  

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/spare-parts-and-accessories/vz-58-parts-and-accessories/vz58-stripped-receiver-accepts-30-round-magazines/

If you know of another let me know, I want to buy one in the near future for a build.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:23:27 PM by Simper »
"I changed my car horn to gun shot sounds . . .

People move out of the way much faster now."

Offline acr

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »
I just go my CAI built rifle in on Friday. I took it for a spin on Saturday. It grouped well, worked 100% with the 100 rounds I put through it and looks quite nice. The parts used to assemble it look like new.  The only problem it had was that the front sight was a few degrees off to the left making the rifle shoot to the right.  I am used to working on things like this, so I just fixed it myself instead of sending it back. The front sight seemed to be a bit oversized for the barrel and the pins used were too small in diameter.  The sight was not so loose it could be pulled off by hand or anything, but it was not tight either. I am not happy that I had to fix the front sight on a "new" rifle, but it seems I am always doing something to new things I purchase anymore. I got the rifle on special and have maybe $320 in it, so I am not going to complain too much.  8)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 05:52:53 PM »
Hey, if it works, great! You got lucky, I had to do a few things to a Century WASR to make it tick right.
Post some pics sometime, and welcome to the board!

Offline acr

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 07:50:56 PM »
I will when I get it set up the way I want.  I adapted a Hogue AK grip to it last night and have a Neit Arms upper handguard along with a Command Arms lower on the way for it. I usually build what I am shooting, but it just didn't make sense to do that with this rifle being so economical.

Offline gorak

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
Well it looks like Century is finally releasing their receivers to ffl's/ homebuilders. 

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RE1178

It's gonna be interesting to see how many gunsmiths can do a better job than century does at building a working rifle on century's receiver. 

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »
Umm...all of them?  ;D Excluding Bubba, of course. ::) ;)

Offline Simper

• I love my VZ58
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
Last week I had one of their dealers call and see if they could order me one and what the cost would be, they said that they are not selling them. Maybe in the future. Looks like Czechpoint now has a corner of the receiver market. I can't find anyone else that sells them anymore.  :'(
"I changed my car horn to gun shot sounds . . .

People move out of the way much faster now."

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »
Go with Czechpoint. Not only do they have great products, but great customer service, too.